2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

11 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Good Lord the Yankees are in trouble. 😂

The bunt thing is a knee-jerk reaction to the Dbacks making the WS.  They had way more sac bunts than any other team in the game.  It ignores that the Braves and Dodgers had the 1st and 3rd fewest sac bunts all year, but if a team with legit power wants to waste outs, let them.

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Anyone think the LAA hired Ron Washington just so they could have the rest of his coaches he assembled on staff? He's put together a good staff of former players, but not really sure what Ron Washington offers the modern day MLB. 

Ask Atlanta what he can offer the modern day MLB. 

8 hours ago, TLO said:

Ask Atlanta what he can offer the modern day MLB. 

I mean, he's a great teacher/mentor and that works well when your a bench coach, but that's not your focus as a manager. 

Just seems like they're trying to catch the lightning in a bottle 2x after watching Bochy, but Bochy is light years ahead of Washington as an actual manager.

On 11/8/2023 at 4:54 PM, TLO said:

Angels actually didn’t **** up their managerial hiring surprisingly 

They are in a state of flux with the roster- have to figure out pursuing Ohtani, trading Trout, other bad contracts, and they hired a 71 year old manager.  

It might not be royally screwing it up, but I wouldn’t call it a good one…….though maybe we’re saying the same thing. 

On 11/10/2023 at 8:34 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

They are in a state of flux with the roster- have to figure out pursuing Ohtani, trading Trout, other bad contracts, and they hired a 71 year old manager.  

It might not be royally screwing it up, but I wouldn’t call it a good one…….though maybe we’re saying the same thing. 

They aren’t trading Trout. The age is obviously a concern, but I think Washington on a two year deal fits what they’re trying to do and lines them up to clean house in two years if things don’t go how they hope. He’s clearly a better option than the other names that were floating around for the position, and if the team can stay relatively healthy (which I don’t expect), maybe they catch lightning in a bottle.

Now, I don’t think it’s gonna work out all that well as I don’t think any manager can overcome the organizational rot that goes much deeper than the manager/gm positions, so the real hope is that cleaning house in two years also involves Arte finally pulling the trigger on a sale.  And if this is the end result, I think their young guys (Neto, O’Hoppe, Schanuel) being coached by Washington for a couple years will still be beneficial. 

• Like 1

Brian Cashman needs to hire a PR person to speak for him...

The agent of New York Yankees outfielder Giancarlo Stanton heeded a warning to any potential free agent looking to join the team after general manager Brian Cashman's comments concerning his client.

Cashman said at last week's GM Meetings that Stanton is "going to wind up getting hurt again more likely than not because it seems to be part of his game," while admitting that the slugger's mobility needs to improve.

“We’ve gotta get Stanton up and running again,” Cashman said. “He’s injury-prone. We all have lived and known that, but he’s never not hit when he’s playing, and this year is the first time that that’s happened.”

Stanton, who still is owed $98 million over the next four years of his contract, hit a career-low .191 with 24 home runs and 60 RBI in 101 games last season. He also set career lows in slugging and OPS.

Stanton's agent Joel Wolfe responded in a statement to The Athletic.

"I read the context of the entire interview," Wolfe said. "I think it's a good reminder for all free agents considering signing in New York, both foreign and domestic, that to play for that team you've got to be made of Teflon, both mentally and physically because you can never let your guard down even in the offseason."

Wolfe is also representing Japanese pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto, one of the top players available this winter with the Yankees expected to be a top suitor for the 25-year-old.

1 minute ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Brian Cashman needs to hire a PR person to speak for him...

I get that it hurt Stanton's feelings, but cmon. The guy is literally hurt all the time and he can barely even jog when he plays.

The problem is that Cashman knows this, yet still purposely targets players made out of glass so he can use the injury excuse year after year.

As far as the mind part, it's a fair point by his agent. Why go through the constant abuse from NY fans for being a highly paid free agent if there are teams that are more committed to winning, with chiller fanbases that are happy you chose to sign with them? 

It was one thing when the Yankees were the Evil Empire dynasty, but now they're just a run-of-the-mill big market franchise with an obnoxious fanbase. The luster just isn't what it once was for kids who grew up in the 2010s.