2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani

hrubes20

Ohtani won't likely pitch in 2024, but he still should get the biggest contract in history.  Dodgers are the heavy favorites.

Another Japanese SP, Yoshinobu Yamamoto, will be the top non-Ohtani pitcher available.  His market should include essentially anyone with money to spend.  He's only 25; has great stuff; and has been better than other good young Japanese starters like Darvish.  

Cody Bellinger is the top non-Ohtani bat.  Not sure who would be the frontrunners for him right now.  

There is also the high likelihood that the Padres trade Juan Soto, who is in the last year of his contract.  Padres are absolutely broke and won't be able to extend him.  I would anticipate every team hoping to contend in 2024 to put forth an offer there as well.  

I'm going to be the only one that feels this way, but I just don't care.

If I'm Craig Breslow, I focus all my attention on Yamamoto and not Ohtani. 

Yama is 26 and u have no problems giving that guy 8 years 210 or whatever it will take. He also pitches right away for you.

As for Ohtani, he's getting internal brace surgery instead of Tommy John, I believe.

Giving him 12 years 600 million or whatever it will be would be stupid. As amazing as he is, he realistically has MAYBE 3 years left as a starting pitcher. The body, I am in full belief of it breaking down. Unless it's a Julio Rodriguez heavily incentivized deal, no thanks.

If you pitch x amount of innings with y numbers, he gets a amount of dollars on top of his batting numbers.

if he only DH's or DH's and does something like become a closer, than he makes a, b, and c. I also try to cut the deal off at something like 6 or 7 years 

1 hour ago, bootsy said:

Is this shades of when we brought in Maddon or not quite on that level?

Not quite at that level.  Counsell is a pretty big improvement on Ross, but Maddon was essentially the unanimous best manager in the game at that time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Volpe winning the AL SS Gold Glove is hilarious 

He did lead all AL SS in defensive runs saved, so there's that.  But the award would have quite easily been Wander Franco's in a universe where he isn't a pedo.

42 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Errors? Lmao.

8th in the AL for shortstops in outs above average. 8th in fielding percentage. Only Javy Baez had more errors. He's 5th in Range Factor. 

I can go on and on. Because those are just the AL 

Edited by BullsandBroncos

• Eagles27 changed the title to 2024 Offseason Thread: Dodgers Betting Big On Ohtani
  • Eagles27 locked this topic