Cowboys LB Leighton Vander Esch Has Severe Neck Injury; Out for the Year

Tony7188

What is this the 3rd significant neck injury, one in college and 2 in Dallas? Not an area one should continue to test. 

Crazy to think for a fleeting moment it looked like Dallas had a pair of stud LBs. Then Jaylon proved to be a total fraud and LVE was derailed by injuries.

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

What is this the 3rd significant neck injury, one in college and 2 in Dallas? Not an area one should continue to test. 

Crazy to think for a fleeting moment it looked like Dallas had a pair of stud LBs. Then Jaylon proved to be a total fraud and LVE was derailed by injuries.

It seems that way with US. Remember Bruce Carter and Sean Lee combo? Bruce/Lee.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

What happened to that Overshown kid they drafted?

He got injured in training camp after being a shinning star in a few preseason games.  If he is healthy he is legit to push Clark for playing time.  Right now while I miss LVE and his experience Bell has more speed which helps us against the edge in the running game and Clark has more burst to the tackle.  With Overshown we have three quality starters next year behind Parsons.  I would say we continue the 3rd 4th rd level as back up for next year 

Edited by quiller

4 hours ago, quiller said:

He got injured in training camp after being a shinning star in a few preseason games.  If he is healthy he is legit to push Clark for playing time.  Right now while I miss LVE and his experience Bell has more speed which helps us against the edge in the running game and Clark has more burst to the tackle.  With Overshown we have three quality starters next year behind Parsons.  I would say we continue the 3rd 4th rd level as back up for next year 

He was hurt during the Seahawks preseason game, not camp. Torn left ACL. He should be ready to go by camp next year. He’ll need to make a full recovery and he’ll be 24 years old for what will essentially be his rookie season. He doesn’t stop you from drafting LB, but I wouldn’t spend a 1st round pick on an off ball LB. 

Edited by DaBoys

On 11/14/2023 at 6:08 PM, DaBoys said:

He was hurt during the Seahawks preseason game, not camp. Torn left ACL. He should be ready to go by camp next year. He’ll need to make a full recovery and he’ll be 24 years old for what will essentially be his rookie season. He doesn’t stop you from drafting LB, but I wouldn’t spend a 1st round pick on an off ball LB. 

Pretty much how I feel. If Dan Quinn sticks around especially, I feel pretty fine with an LB group of Clark, Bell, and Overshown. I don’t feel like I need to do something huge there. But certainly wouldn’t pass up the position if it was BPA. 

53 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Pretty much how I feel. If Dan Quinn sticks around especially, I feel pretty fine with an LB group of Clark, Bell, and Overshown. I don’t feel like I need to do something huge there. But certainly wouldn’t pass up the position if it was BPA. 

I'd love to see us get someone to be our Fred Warner. I think Trotter could be that. 

3 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Problem is we've shown on multiple occasions we don't always do BPA.

On 11/16/2023 at 12:54 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Disagree. Since McClay has taken over, we’ve seen far more evidence of surprising adherence to BPA, than we have of clear abandonment of BPA.

I don’t think we are quite the sticklers of BPA like the Ravens. Didn’t they state they had a 1st rounder left on the board at 26 but went with Mazi? Or were they saying Mazi was the last 1st rounder left?

11 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I don’t think we are quite the sticklers of BPA like the Ravens. Didn’t they state they had a 1st rounder left on the board at 26 but went with Mazi? Or were they saying Mazi was the last 1st rounder left?

They had Mazi and Bergeron at 12 & 13, not sure which order. There were some reports that we only had 11 1st round grades. There were beat writers at the end of day 1 that said we still had a first round grade on the board. It’s hard to know exactly, the reports are contradictory. Regardless, Mazi clearly was essentially at the top of the board.

For sure we aren’t the Ravens. We know they had Lewis Cine above Tyler Smith, for example. They’ll let need and positional value be a tiebreaker+. But they don’t let blinking lights pass them by very often, even when there appears to be good players at bigger needs (see: CeeDee, McGovern, Overshown).

Kelvin Joseph and Luke Schoonmaker seem to be the most likely examples in recent years where they really got dead set on picking a position and reached-but we don’t know that 100%.