Week 11: San Francisco 49ers vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

The Bucs offense: Slightly above-average passing game with the league's worst rushing attack.

The Bucs defense: Elite rush defense with a well below-average pass defense.

I want to see the 49ers eliminate their rushing attack early in the first half to force Baker to throw it nearly 40 times. We'll get him to make some mistakes. 

Interesting matchups this game:

• Bucs are giving up the 6th most YAC in the NFL - Can CMC and Deebo have a big game?
  • Bucs blitz the 3rd most in the NFL - Purdy has the 4th most TDs while under pressure.
  • Bucs are the league's worst 3rd down defense but are the league's best RZ defense - Purdy is the league's best late-down QB and the 49ers are a top 5 RZ offense.

32-17 49ers

The only thing that can cause the Niners problems is if the Bucs defense shuts the Niners run and thus force Purdy to have to pass more than they want him to. Also on the defensive side the only problems might be covering Mike Evans & Chris Godwin to go along with upcoming TE Cade Otton.

Should be a win where they force Baker into being the Baker of old and thus pull away by the start of the 4th quarter.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NFL Network said:

The only thing that can cause the Niners problems is if the Bucs defense shuts the Niners run and thus force Purdy to have to pass more than they want him to. Also on the defensive side the only problems might be covering Mike Evans & Chris Godwin to go along with upcoming TE Cade Otton.

Should be a win where they force Baker into being the Baker of old and thus pull away by the start of the 4th quarter.

The beauty of Shanahan's offense with CMC is that if the run game gets stuffed, they just switch to passing plays that act as run plays. 

I would have zero problems if Purdy had 30+ pass attempts. We have the number 1 passing offense in the NFL by a wide margin. 

• Like 3

Fun fact:

Baker has the 8th most intended air yards in the NFL. His completed air yards puts him 16th in the NFL. He has an air yard difference of 1,481 yards, which is the 6th highest difference. He's really trying to push the ball down the field, but he just can't make it happen. 

For additional context, he has a CMP% of 25% on throws over 20+ yards. Almost all of his "success" throwing deep this year has been to the deep left side of the field. When throwing between the numbers or to his right 20+ yards downfield, he has a passer rating of 37. 

I expect to see our defense position themselves to keep everything in front of them and dare him to throw deep. 

Also, Brock Purdy is 22nd in the NFL in intended air yards but 9th in completed air yards. He also has an air yard difference of 713 yards, 2nd lowest in the NFL. When Brock goes deep, he usually hits it.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The beauty of Shanahan's offense with CMC is that if the run game gets stuffed, they just switch to passing plays that act as run plays. 

I would have zero problems if Purdy had 30+ pass attempts. We have the number 1 passing offense in the NFL by a wide margin. 

I like the short passing game in lieu of the run especially when playing with a lead.

My main concern of having to pass too much is that the offensive line can't protect and that is especially true when they call pass plays that are deep in which the QB has to hold the ball longer. I don't want to see anymore Josh Allen or Mahomes types of hero ball throws from Brock as that's not his game.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Yikes. 

It's cool Shanahan is slightly more open than most coaches.  I hate when they ask him really annoying questions though.  I don't need sports reporters to do the hard hitting down deep journalism, just be cool, interesting, well thought out, and entertaining.  

This guy should have known the answer to this question.  He was talking about whoever the guy Purdy goes to for this throwing mechanics tune up.  Shanahan has been using him for a long time, it's not house.  I can't remember his name.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Fun fact: The 49ers have gone 3-1 against 6-3 teams by a combined score of 123-39

Its also interesting that the three 6-3 teams we've beaten were coached by SB winning head coaches - Mike Tomlin of the Steelers, Mike McCarthy of the Cowboys (won with Packers), Doug Pederson of the Jaguars (won with Eagles)

And the two 6 win teams we lost to (6-3 Browns, 6-4 Vikings) have head coaches who haven't won a playoff game. Stefanski didn't coach the Browns playoff win due to COVID