Raiders claim CB Jack Jones

RaidersAreOne

46 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

i can see where players love and will run through a brick wall for AP. Dude went from JUCO to D1, undrafted to starting MLB on a 2x SB Champ, back to HS as a coach to D1 and NFL HC. Dude has seen it all and can relate to everyone in the locker room. Im not crowning him, but i am definitely rooting for him. 

As for Jones, if he can stay out of trouble the kid is talented and looks to be a high end 2. That would give us Hobbs, Jones, Bennett as a very solid young core, would still need a CB1 or one to emerge out the group but that is a solid list of young CBs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

i can see where players love and will run through a brick wall for AP. Dude went from JUCO to D1, undrafted to starting MLB on a 2x SB Champ, back to HS as a coach to D1 and NFL HC. Dude has seen it all and can relate to everyone in the locker room. Im not crowning him, but i am definitely rooting for him. 

As for Jones, if he can stay out of trouble the kid is talented and looks to be a high end 2. That would give us Hobbs, Jones, Bennett as a very solid young core, would still need a CB1 or one to emerge out the group but that is a solid list of young CBs.

Personally I think CB1 is overrated. As long as your corners all can make plays on the ball and none are a liability, that is the key for a top defensive unit. Everyone will get beat at times but if you can tackle and take the ball away you can get em back.

I'd rather have an impact DT or LB than a shutdown corner. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Personally I think CB1 is overrated. As long as your corners all can make plays on the ball and none are a liability, that is the key for a top defensive unit. Everyone will get beat at times but if you can tackle and take the ball away you can get em back.

Biggest key right here. 

You don't need a CB1 a'la Asomugha, Revis, Bailey, etc. You just need guys that aren't liabilities in coverage (CBs amd Safeties). It's nice to have lockdown Corners, but decent secondary with a premier pass rush works waaaay better than premier secondary play with little to no pash rush. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

He had problems at USC also that ended up getting him dismissed which is how he ended up at Arizona State in the first place and also what ended up getting him drafted on the third day. But the fact remains wherever Antonio Pierce has been he has stayed out of trouble. thats good enough for me. And he's on a cheap deal so if he does do stupid stuff he can just be gone. If he keeps his head on straight and performs really well we pay him in two years. As complex as the player issue is, the signing itself is simple. 

I want to see him succeed for sure. I loved his tape coming out. The personal stuff....eesh. 

Here's to hoping it goes well. It would be nice to possibly fill a hole through a cheap pick up of a proven talent rather than hoping a draft pick can actually play as a pro. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Completely agree. Pass rush is more valuable. Speed up the QBs decision making and the secondary will benefit without a lockdown type guy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I want to see him succeed for sure. I loved his tape coming out. The personal stuff....eesh. 

Here's to hoping it goes well. It would be nice to possibly fill a hole through a cheap pick up of a proven talent rather than hoping a draft pick can actually play as a pro. 

Thats my favorite part about it because it is as if we drafted him because he's on his rookie deal. He goes to a coach whos coached him at every level. I don't see any of the off the field stuff being an issue because it has never been an issue anywhere that pierce has been. Im more concerned with is he going to get out of the sophmore slump and back into more of what we saw his rookie year. because if we get that guy, he becomes our #1 corner. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I agree, IF you have a pass rush. Impact DL over everything.

• Like 1

Well, we seem to all be on the same page here for once! 😃

Good low risk, high reward pickup with a lot of upside.

AP is the right coach to try and manage any potential issues and get the best out of him.

Its important to have a good depth of talent at CB rather than an elite #1 and then a bunch of nobodies.

Also, that a pass rush can make our DBs better and mask a few weaknesses.