Week #11 General 🏈 Discussion

RaidersAreOne

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Hilarious.... I love when a guy jokes about the time he attempted to assault someone with a weapon on the field. Classic!Β 

Β 

They assault each other all the time, their bodies look like car crash victims after games. what’s one assault compared to another really?

Brady already in full-on "man yells at cloud" mode. :)

Β 

I'm joking. Actually, this short spotlight of Tom Brady got me thinking about the last enforcer at safety the league had with a reputation of delivering hard hits. Troy Polamalu? Can't really have a guy like that or a Steve Atwater, John Lynch, Ronnie Lott, etc. in the lineup anymore that could really intimidate receivers going over the middle. As morbid as it sounds, as a consumer I really miss that.Β 
Β 

17 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

As morbid as it sounds, as a consumer I really miss that.Β 

You’re not morbid. It’s a shame that the NFL went on a crusade to eliminate hard hits. Even clean hard hits, whether they want to admit it or not. They felt pressured due to concussions to make some sham rules that are impossible to follow so they can say β€œWe made the game safer.”

They didn’t really. They made the game more penalized and are asking the players to do unrealistic things.

We have all lost a lot since the game started. I love football for the bone crushers. The Sean Taylors of the world. The NFL has done everything they can to make sure there are no more of those guys in the league.

I don’t even think it’s safer. It’s just a worse product.Β 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Brady already in full-on "man yells at cloud" mode. :)

Β 

I'm joking. Actually, this short spotlight of Tom Brady got me thinking about the last enforcer at safety the league had with a reputation of delivering hard hits. Troy Polamalu? Can't really have a guy like that or a Steve Atwater, John Lynch, Ronnie Lott, etc. in the lineup anymore that could really intimidate receivers going over the middle. As morbid as it sounds, as a consumer I really miss that.Β 
Β 

Β 

6 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You’re not morbid. It’s a shame that the NFL went on a crusade to eliminate hard hits. Even clean hard hits, whether they want to admit it or not. They felt pressured due to concussions to make some sham rules that are impossible to follow so they can say β€œWe made the game safer.”

They didn’t really. They made the game more penalized and are asking the players to do unrealistic things.

We have all lost a lot since the game started. I love football for the bone crushers. The Sean Taylors of the world. The NFL has done everything they can to make sure there are no more of those guys in the league.

I don’t even think it’s safer. It’s just a worse product.Β 

Β 

I know I'm in the minority here, but I respectfully disagree with these takes.

I used to agree with them, but I've come around on it in my old age - I think.

Sans combat sports - What sport strategically involves injuring your opponent?Β 

Maybe a goon player in hockey? But is anyone going to make an argument the goon player is a shining example of skill?

The game might be "easier" for QBing today, but I don't agree that injuring someone out of the game is a legitimate skill. I think the game was just "easier" for defensive players 30 years ago than it is today.

It's like when the boomers talk about how much "tougher" the NBA was back when you could absolutely maul a guy who was trying to drive the lane.Β  Sure, it might have been tougher, but it wasn't more skillful imo. I think a better MLB / SS / CB should be able to defend passes without needing to injury someone.Β Β 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Injuring isn’t necessarily the goal. Making WR’s nervous to cross the middle, or being able to let physics play out in split second instances is more what I miss. DB’s have no options in a game that moves so fast.Β 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Injuring isn’t necessarily the goal. Making WR’s nervous to cross the middle, or being able to let physics play out in split second instances is more what I miss. DB’s have no options in a game that moves so fast.Β 

Let me just clarify - I totally understand why it's more intriguing and provides the game more meta level depth (the game inside the game). I get why it's more entertaining to the fans, even in a non-barbaric way and I don't think you are bloodthirsty for preferring the game with big hits.

And your second point about not regulating split second scenarios is a strong take imo. There was less 'thinking' and more instinctual 'playing' involved, no doubt.

But the WRs weren't afraid to cross the middle because of being picked off or something strategically involved with the game. They weren't even afraid of being tackled. They were afraid of being injured and that's where I think I old-school defenses are a bit overrated in the sense that they could get away with things today's more skillful defenses can't.

Edited by Soggust

6 hours ago, Soggust said:

But the WRs weren't afraid to cross the middle because of being picked off or something strategically involved with the game. They weren't even afraid of being tackled. They were afraid of being injured and that's where I think I old-school defenses are a bit overrated in the sense that they could get away with things today's more skillful defenses can't.

I mean, gotta give the defensive backs some kind of edge. :)

Receivers already have an advantage on the basis that they know where they're going.Β 

11 hours ago, Soggust said:

It’s not injuring per se, but it happens in other sports. Physical enforcement, I mean. Baseball players will back someone off the plate, or straight up bean someone if they’re being a jerk. Not really the same extent as cleaving someone’s head off, but it falls under the category IMO.Β 

I think physical intimidation should be a part of football, but yes, the goal shouldn’t be to take people out of the game. Β 

2 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Β 

Too many people here don't get this point. Looking great and impressive in week X doesn't matter as a thing to root for as a fan the course of a regular season. Staying in playoff position and having key players stay healthy is all that really matters week 1-17/18.