Canada Fired

warfelg

If I was gonna call a shot, Kevin Stefanski is our next OC. 

If the Browns don’t make the playoffs, someone’s gonna pay; whether they deserve it or not (he won’t). KS is the easiest and likeliest choice. 

This would be the haley move like I think @August4th mentioned somewhere. Recent HC who gets canned. Maybe not great, but respected. Run game centered.

I could hear the press conference now: “obviously, we are familiar with Kevin and Kevin is familiar with AFC North football..” 

Call #2 would be to Munchak to gauge his interest in coaching again. Stefanski/Munchak has a very Stefanski/Callahan vibe. 

Not necessarily my #1 pick,  it it would be getting an NFL adult who can run the room without oversight. 

• Like 1

As I suspected, Sullivan would be tagged to take over, in the what we all perceived, was the highly unlikely firing of Canada mid-season.  I just wonder if Tomlin prepared for this weeks ago, by requesting Sullivan to develop some playsets, etc., that would be beneficial to Kenny's progress, under the guise that they would implement some changes to the offense in the coming weeks??  I don't know, obviously, but I guess I would hope that something akin to that scenario would help move this offensive forward, quicker, than just simply dropping Sullivan in the 'muck' with no preparation.  I'm probably over-thinking the whole scenario...just glad it finally happened!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

32 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

If I was gonna call a shot, Kevin Stefanski is our next OC. 

If the Browns don’t make the playoffs, someone’s gonna pay; whether they deserve it or not (he won’t). KS is the easiest and likeliest choice. 

This would be the haley move like I think @August4th mentioned somewhere. Recent HC who gets canned. Maybe not great, but respected. Run game centered.

I could hear the press conference now: “obviously, we are familiar with Kevin and Kevin is familiar with AFC North football..” 

Call #2 would be to Munchak to gauge his interest in coaching again. Stefanski/Munchak has a very Stefanski/Callahan vibe. 

Not necessarily my #1 pick,  it it would be getting an NFL adult who can run the room without oversight. 

Stefanski and Munchak would be awesome. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

admitted that he tries to "protect" his players/coaches.

Hmm, only if there was someone here saying this for years 😏  Ok enough being petty.

Something that Tomlin kept saying in regards to Faulkner and Sullivan was that they are respected and communicated well.  He mentioned that they are detail oriented and oddly that they keep clean and tighty offices.  It gives insight as to what the problem was.  Canada was a poor communicator, didn't teach anyone how to run his offense, and was losing the respect of players. 

And I want to lean into the teaching and communicating thing.  One thing I've been saying about Kenny all year is that he looks like he's not being taught how to read the field and he looks more like he's being told "look here" and he does it.  That's coaching.  Like sure QB's all the time are slow readers, don't see the field well, make mistakes.  Not saying any of those can't/don't apply to Kenny.  But it's incredibly rare for a QB to look as lost as Kenny has.  He's not being sat down and told here's the order of your reads, here's when to come off of them, not being shown how defensives impact that.  Especially within the flow of the game, which is why I think late in games, when his mindset is just "make a play" he looks so much better.  He's not trying to execute an offense on paper, he's trying to run an offense on the field.

The respect one and the tighty office are interesting IMO.  Because the respect is obvious, but I think it took Kenny and Najee hitting that point to really make it obvious.  Like I think you can take it when it's DJ/GP as I've said because, well their WR's and all WR's are divas.  When Chuks goes off, whatever he's likely not long for here and you got a 1st round pick waiting in the wings.  But when it's one of your leaders of the offense who's known for not giving anything up anything in Najee and your QB just kinda brushing off a post drive conversation then it's really hitting it's end point.  And the tighty office thing is interesting - because it shows all of the above.  A clean and tighty office feels like a welcoming place where a messy office comes off like "don't bother me".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Can’t take credit for this idea (Yinz know Ball podcast) but something I would like to take a look at is to persuade Frank Smith to come over from the Dolphins.

Current Miami Dolphins OC and run-game coordinator under Mike McDaniel. 

I heard that too. I like that idea. I am very pro taking a non-coordinator experienced person from those trees and seeing what you can build. I just don't think the Steelers will. Tomlin seems to value experience over all. I would really like this one to lean on ideas, though. That's why I think Stefanski would be a nice balance between the two. 

I saw Steelers Depot had a list and like 4 of the people are not currently working in football and as much as I hated it, yup -- that's a Tomlin list. Throw Jim Caldwell on for good measure. 

And if it's Byron Leftwich, fire Tomlin into the sun. 

• Like 1

As for an OC - go across the state or across the country:

Kevin Patullo the passing game coordinator and associate head coach for the Eagles.  I've been really impressed with their passing game.

Chad Morton the run game coordinator and running backs coach for the Seahawks.  He sets up a really good running game and has been doing it since 2017.  

Let’s face it, if our offense shows progress through the end of season one of these “temporary “ guys will probably be our OC based on how we have operated in recent seasons. The problem with that is we could put a dead turtle in this position for the rest of the season and he could improve the O, they have nowhere to go but up. Really hope some of the new guys in the FO can move us in a different direction than past history shows. 

29 minutes ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Let’s face it, if our offense shows progress through the end of season one of these “temporary “ guys will probably be our OC based on how we have operated in recent seasons. The problem with that is we could put a dead turtle in this position for the rest of the season and he could improve the O, they have nowhere to go but up. Really hope some of the new guys in the FO can move us in a different direction than past history shows. 

I’m not as worried about this as I probably should be. This isn’t 3 years of poor OC, it’s 6. The internal hire of Canada after Fitchner was actually worse. They cannot risk 6 years turning that into 9. 

This will be the most important hire of Tomlins career. The boogey man is gone. Fans have been chanting to fire Canada in stadiums and grocery stores. Tomlin CANNOT get this pick wrong, because his name will be coming next. 

I just don’t see them staying internal. These guys have both been on this staff a while now, at least all through canadas tenure. If this staff had answers, we likely would have seen them by now. 

I don’t doubt that things will show a bit better, but I think it’s gonna be more culture and buy in Vs schematically differences that will say “this is the guy!”. I think it would take a huge, huge turn around to make someone here stick.

at least I hope….

• Like 1

at this stage , anything will be better so I am expecting Sullivan to be such an improved play caller that I can't entertain the idea of getting a new hire at the moment.   See how KP and the offence does, it might shock some of us of all things. 

ben fichner , ken canada ,  several years of offensive offence 

1 hour ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

I hope not but the history of this team suggests it's likely.