NFC Playoff Picture - ONE Week Left

packfanfb

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Just taking this one week at a time.  After these last two big wins where the team was very locked in, a letdown next week vs NYG is a real risk.

we'll get a good understanding of our coaching staff the last 5 weeks.

The players have all the confidence (and ability) in the world. Can the staff harness that effectively and win the games we now definitely SHOULD be winning?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

we'll get a good understanding of our coaching staff the last 5 weeks.

The players have all the confidence (and ability) in the world. Can the staff harness that effectively and win the games we now definitely SHOULD be winning?

Yep, the "they are just young" ship has sailed.  The team is coming together at the right time, and has shown it can hang with the better teams in the league.  A relapse now would be a coaching failure.  So I guess maybe there is a glimmer of hope for the fire Barry crowd after all.  A defensive collapse over these next five weeks would likely do it.

• Like 3

I will say this, I'm torn on the feeling of making the playoffs.  No question getting there after the start we had is a big accomplishment, and we would be ahead of where we were the first year under Rodgers with plenty room to go.

But on the flipside, if we make it there I will be raising expectations to beat that ridiculous SF team we keep losing to.  No more Rodgers means no more excuses to lose to them.  Mike McCarthy is already seeing his legacy go down the toilet because he can't beat them, and it's high time LaFleur come out from under his old buddy Shannahan's shadow.  Time to end this playoff losing streak to those jokers once and for all.

15 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

I will say this, I'm torn on the feeling of making the playoffs.  No question getting there after the start we had is a big accomplishment, and we would be ahead of where we were the first year under Rodgers with plenty room to go.

But on the flipside, if we make it there I will be raising expectations to beat that ridiculous SF team we keep losing to.  No more Rodgers means no more excuses to lose to them.  Mike McCarthy is already seeing his legacy go down the toilet because he can't beat them, and it's high time LaFleur come out from under his old buddy Shannahan's shadow.  Time to end this playoff losing streak to those jokers once and for all.

Label me curious as to how Mac's legacy is going down the "toilet".  Dude won a Super Bowl.  Won a ton of games.  With two clubs.  He's very successful.  And?  He's been fortunate enough to have two higher end QB's pulling the trigger on his offense.

I don't know how the guy's legacy is anything but solid.

22 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Yep, the "they are just young" ship has sailed.  The team is coming together at the right time, and has shown it can hang with the better teams in the league.  A relapse now would be a coaching failure.  So I guess maybe there is a glimmer of hope for the fire Barry crowd after all.  A defensive collapse over these next five weeks would likely do it.

If the defense collapses the next five games, I'll be right there with them. We are not playing offensive juggernauts like we did the past three weeks. The defense needs to come out these five games with a mentality, we are not going to allow you one inch. 

We need to jump on these ****ty teams early and just destroy them. No one or two score games. Blow outs!!

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

If the defense collapses the next five games, I'll be right there with them. We are not playing offensive juggernauts like we did the past three weeks. The defense needs to come out these five games with a mentality, we are not going to allow you one inch. 

We need to jump on these ****ty teams early and just destroy them. No one or two score games. Blow outs!!

That is not our identity as a defense.   

Only way it becomes it is via turnovers.  And typically you have to force turnovers.  Our defense doesn't really force anything, except patience in the run game.                                                                                                                            

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

That is not our identity as a defense.   

Only way it becomes it is via turnovers.  And typically you have to force turnovers.  Our defense doesn't really force anything, except patience in the run game.                                                                                                                            

Look at the start of the Detroit team. Barry had 7 in the box and the safeties were not too deep. We played aggressive as heck and shut down the first half. We forced some turnovers early in that game as well. 

I actually think we have a lot of defensive players that would excel playing with that mentality. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Unfortunately, that's just not who Barry is as a DC.  Giving the inches is a feature, not a bug.

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Look at the start of the Detroit team. Barry had 7 in the box and the safeties were not too deep. We played aggressive as heck and shut down the first half. We forced some turnovers early in that game as well. 

I actually think we have a lot of defensive players that would excel playing with that mentality. 

Wished I could have seen that game, but alas, I was at my in-laws and they had racing on.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This has been the "trap" game on my mind even before we beat the Chiefs...now it's definitely the trap game. Rested team coming off a bye and the Packers coming off a high from beating the defending champs. 

What gives me the most optimism is that the Giants have truly been a very bad team this year. Even their 4-8 record is a complete lie when you see that they've beaten the 3-10 Cardinals, 2-10 Patriots and 4-8 Commanders (twice). 

100% The youth argument is still very much alive in how the team approaches each week. Just like their memories are short from a big loss that could also play into them buying into themselves too much. Coaching is going to be a big part of keeping this momentum going. I think we will succeed, but I too have gone down the rabbit's hole of this being a trap game. 

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This has been the "trap" game on my mind even before we beat the Chiefs...now it's definitely the trap game. Rested team coming off a bye and the Packers coming off a high from beating the defending champs. 

What gives me the most optimism is that the Giants have truly been a very bad team this year. Even their 4-8 record is a complete lie when you see that they've beaten the 3-10 Cardinals, 2-10 Patriots and 4-8 Commanders (twice). 

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing

And it has nothing to do with last year either, both teams rosters are very different one year later.  But just more to do with the Giants having nothing to lose right now, and there's not much game film on that Tommy DeVito guy, so it's hard to know what to expect from him.

I'm less worried about the Bucs, queens, Panthers and Bears because Baker Mayfield has been bad against us and the Bucs are rapidly falling from where they were in the Brady years, the Panthers have no talent period, and the Vikings are losing the Dobbs magic.

Yeah this Giants game will be the first real test for a young team on how they balance excitement on success with not getting overconfident.

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Who is going to be that voice in the room keeping people focused on the task at hand? You make a valid point.