Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

Interesting deviation in WR profile from the previous drafts. They loved guys with insane 3-cone and shuttle times. This time both guys are explosive, but neither tested the COD drills. Hopefully this doesn't mean they profile athletically like N'Keal Harry.

32 minutes ago, LD696 said:

Haven't really followed this draft process, because of real world obligations,but I'm happy @m haynes's TV is still intact, haha. Sorry for @jofos though about the Maye pick. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Ha Ha Ha

I haven't been this happy in years.

I even love the last pick the CB Marcellas Dial. THREE year starter, big athletic CB. Nothing like  Joejuan Williams. Dial is a larger Gonzo, body wise.

And just think I don't like the Maye pick but I understand why they took him.

37 minutes ago, LD696 said:

Interesting deviation in WR profile from the previous drafts. They loved guys with insane 3-cone and shuttle times. This time both guys are explosive, but neither tested the COD drills. Hopefully this doesn't mean they profile athletically like N'Keal Harry.

You can trust me on this.

They both don't run like a duck or look for the ESPN camera.  Harry jumps, 3 flips for a 10 yard out than knocks himself out  smashing his head !!!!!

3 hours ago, Dan33185 said:

I guess I don't know how I expected this draft to play out, but I sure wasn't expecting zero defensive picks so far.

As it should be. Given they can still supplement CB/S through free agents and the fact they were able to bring back Jennings/Uche for dirt cheap, offense should have been the only way.

• Like 2

My hope is that Polk and Baker turn into a Hakeem Nicks/Brandon Lloyd combo. Obviously that’s hope and not projection, but that’s who those to kind of remind me of stylistically. Ironically you can say the same about Bell and Jonnu Smith, I just think that type of player will fit more AVP than…Matt Patricia. 

Maye gets compared to Josh Allen a lot, but I think physically he’s closer to Herbert, with Allen’s mentality in terms of taking shots/running it. We’ll all be happy if he ends up anywhere close to those two (and not Mitch Trubisky lol). I think Maye’s going to go through similar lumps as young Josh did too, who didn’t really light things up right away like Herbert did. I’m okay with sitting him, but I’m not against having him play at some point in 2024 either, if he can handle it. As long as it’s not forced and the offense isn’t disastrous, I could back it. Drake’s physical and mental makeup seem much more resilient than Mac’s ever was, I don’t see him getting frazzled beyond repair.

• Like 1

I don't want Maye anywhere near the starting role in year 1. Not because I don't believe in him, but because until the team figures out how to protect the QB, it can't be trusted to accommodate a prospect that raw. If you throw him into that offense from day 1, all his current bad habits will become permanent. 

• Like 2

Yup. We will ruin Maye if he starts right now. This offense isn’t ready. Maye isn’t ready (footwork). Coaches are new and still trying to implement their system, so not everyone is on the same page yet… mistakes are going to happen often at first. Hope Kraft doesn’t get impatient…

6 hours ago, LD696 said:

Haven't really followed this draft process, because of real world obligations,but I'm happy @m haynes's TV is still intact, haha. Sorry for @jofos though about the Maye pick. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I never really felt like the Patriots would draft McCarthy, I felt they would go with a safer pick and they did. I still think that McCarthy will be the best QB in the draft and I still don't think Maye ends up being a 20 QB. Hopefully I am wrong on Maye. But at any rate its good to see people in the Patriots forum happy.

Just remember those people were happy when they were boarding the Titanic as well. j/k

43 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I don't want Maye anywhere near the starting role in year 1. Not because I don't believe in him, but because until the team figures out how to protect the QB, it can't be trusted to accommodate a prospect that raw. If you throw him into that offense from day 1, all his current bad habits will become permanent. 

I don't think you have to worry about Maye playing much in year one. But the line issues last year can be fixed in large part by being healthy.  They started last year with2/5 of what they thought would be their starting o-line and it didn't get much better, one guy comes back and another goes out. Week one two rookies started at guard and I don't think that was part of the plan. Another thing about the line play is if you look at the teams that allowed the most sacks (the Patriots gave up the 9TH most, 16 less than the 5th most) they all had bad QB play. A QB that holds the ball to long can make the line look a lot worse than it is. For example in 2007 Brady was sacked 21 times the following year with the same line Cassel was sacked 47 times and the 2008 Patriots allowed the same number as the 2023 Patriots, QB play goes a long ways...

6 minutes ago, jofos said:

I don't think you have to worry about Maye playing much in year one. But the line issues last year can be fixed in large part by being healthy.  They started last year with2/5 of what they thought would be their starting o-line and it didn't get much better, one guy comes back and another goes out. Week one two rookies started at guard and I don't think that was part of the plan. Another thing about the line play is if you look at the teams that allowed the most sacks (the Patriots gave up the 9TH most, 16 less than the 5th most) they all had bad QB play. A QB that holds the ball to long can make the line look a lot worse than it is. For example in 2007 Brady was sacked 21 times the following year with the same line Cassel was sacked 47 times and the 2008 Patriots allowed the same number as the 2023 Patriots, QB play goes a long ways...

I want to believe this, but I also watched enough last year to know that there were HUGE issues with both the individual talent and the unit play last year. The protection schemes were a mess, and I need to see evidence that that's been fixed, or at least being fixed before I would put any trust in the line. Also, who's the starting LT?

• Like 1