Welcome Shaq Leonard

8 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

It is very hard, but it is even harder when you don't even try. When you want to get them as late rounders or UDFAs you are just setting up for failure. That's one of the blind spots we have and one of our eternal team needs. 

I've always thought bringing Cox back was a mistake, specially with what we had at the time at LB, now somehow is even worse than then. 

Maybe they did think that about Dean, but shows us how bad they are at evaluating that position, because wasn't even able to earn playing time last year, and we put our eggs in that bag and even if he was actually good, we still needed another guy. 

This is fair. I agree with the philosophy of loading up in the trenches.  If you can dominate the line of scrimmage you can win a lot of games. I think that is a sound philosophy, but you don't need to spend first round picks on LBs to field a decent LB corps. They could have brought Edwards back and chose not to. They don't even spend mid-round picks on LBs. To me that is the sweet spot for RBs and LBs and they never take a shot on these guys sans Dean. While I can see how they were trying to get an advantage by devaluing a position that I agree should be devalued, they flew a little too close to the sun here. I just hope that Howie will correct this and make more of an effort to add talent there. Just be more open to spending a 2nd-5th round on a LB and we will have more complete teams. Having said that, no team is perfect. Every team has it's flaws. The Eagles can overcome having a poor LB corps if their DC doesn't constantly put them in situations where they have to be really good/great for the defense to function well. Why would we run so much man against the Niners? Why wouldn't you run more zone like against the Dolphins? 

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Exactly what we need. A worse Trent Edwards. Dime a dozen LB with a cool last name. If you look past what's written on his jersey, he's an average 5th round LB.

I completely disagree.  At the very least he will be a solid pass defender at the next level.  There are some questions about what his true ceiling is, but he has some solid traits worth taking a chance on. 

19 hours ago, Folesadelphia said:

This is fair. I agree with the philosophy of loading up in the trenches.  If you can dominate the line of scrimmage you can win a lot of games. I think that is a sound philosophy, but you don't need to spend first round picks on LBs to field a decent LB corps. They could have brought Edwards back and chose not to. They don't even spend mid-round picks on LBs. To me that is the sweet spot for RBs and LBs and they never take a shot on these guys sans Dean. While I can see how they were trying to get an advantage by devaluing a position that I agree should be devalued, they flew a little too close to the sun here. I just hope that Howie will correct this and make more of an effort to add talent there. Just be more open to spending a 2nd-5th round on a LB and we will have more complete teams. Having said that, no team is perfect. Every team has it's flaws. The Eagles can overcome having a poor LB corps if their DC doesn't constantly put them in situations where they have to be really good/great for the defense to function well. Why would we run so much man against the Niners? Why wouldn't you run more zone like against the Dolphins? 

This is my reply on another post

23 hours ago, Broadway Joe said:

I agree with the notion that you build through the trenches and that they are very important. My point has always been that we have gone way too far down road and we expect it to overcompensate the flaws on the defense. To the point that, we are not good at drafting pretty much anything else, we can't evaluate, S,LB,WR,CB maybe RB? to save our lives. 

Trenches? Good! But let's dial it down a bit.

I don't event want us to build from the LB and S position out, that'd be foolish nor even spend a first round pick. Excellent LBs are found in the 2nd and 3rd round, I just want us to address gaping holes that are a need right now instead of depth at positions that might be a need later like we usually do with the trenches, sometimes you have to look elsewhere for the betterment of the defense, you can't rely solely on one unit. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

To be fair, he never started a game at LB until that week he was cut, Howie was assuming he'd clear waivers and be resign to the PS. 

Backfired!!! Thank you Bill Belicheck. 🍺 

I mean like 5 teams claimed him.  He showed promise of developing into a serviceable starter.  At the very least he was a ST ace.  Like how do you not cut your #4 TE that has shown nothing or VanSumeren instead of Eliss?

19 minutes ago, CasperX22 said:

I mean like 5 teams claimed him.  He showed promise of developing into a serviceable starter.  At the very least he was a ST ace.  Like how do you not cut your #4 TE that has shown nothing or VanSumeren instead of Eliss?

Absolutely agree, well with VanSumeren.  Goedert was out , Calcaterra nick up yet again so 4th TE wasnt really an option. 🤷‍♂️