How do you beat the 49ers?

Manny/Patrick

On 12/5/2023 at 11:22 AM, jrry32 said:

It seemed to me that when Deebo went down earlier in the year, they looked a lot more beatable.

Exactly. Not much hope unless the 49ers just don't show up when those guys are clicking.

Deebo didn't play in a few games last year where the offense scored 30+ points. If he alone was missing, I think the offense would still be fine. A bigger issue is that this is not a good pass blocking OL and when you take Williams away, it becomes AWFUL and a bottom 3 unit. Not only that, damn near all our big runs come behind his side. Trent would be a FAR bigger loss than Deebo.

As for the question, I think defenses have to play press man against these WRs and win with only rushing four. And you can definitely beat this OL. Don't fall for the play actions and have athletic backers that can flip and recover. The Ravens have a very good defensive scheme and personnel to give this offense a lot of fits. Next Monday night will be fun! 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Deebo didn't play in a few games last year where the offense scored 30+ points. If he alone was missing, I think the offense would still be fine. A bigger issue is that this is not a good pass blocking OL and when you take Williams away, it becomes AWFUL and a bottom 3 unit. Not only that, damn near all our big runs come behind his side. Trent would be a FAR bigger loss than Deebo.

As for the question, I think defenses have to play press man against these WRs and win with only rushing four. And you can definitely beat this OL. Don't fall for the play actions and have athletic backers that can flip and recover. The Ravens have a very good defensive scheme and personnel to give this offense a lot of fits. Next Monday night will be fun! 

We have the personnel but lately timing based passing offenses (see: LA Rams) give us lots of its, especially over the middle and crossers/sideline routes, where Purdy loves to throw.

It will be fun, no doubt! If we disrupt his timing just a little bit I think we can do some damage with our pass rush/blitzing. CMC really worries me, though.

3 minutes ago, FrantikRam said:

McVay was playing chess when he opted to kick that field goal

If the Niners end up running the table and winning the remaining games by 10+ points, McVay could say out of all the Niners wins, we were the only team that lost by single digits! Take that for data! 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 10:58 PM, Manny/Patrick said:

Haha that’s so funny I fell off my dinosaur

I mean, it's kind of a silly premise for at thread. They have three losses. Sure, players were injured......the Rams have the third best offense in the league when Stafford/Kupp/Puca/Kyren all play. But **** happens.

The amount of internalized pressure on Shanny has to be unbelievable this year. They've had two heartbreaking championship game/Super Bowl losses and this is the best team they've had. While Purdy is young, they will have to start making decisions on their roster  - we've seen this play out with Seattle and Russell Wilson, but the elite roster (and players being paid) came before the QB for the most part. That is likely going to condense the Niners window way down, possibly to just this season. On top of that, it's a team who has constantly been injured that is having good injury luck so far this year overall, which is pretty unusual in the Shanny era.

Put all that together and we all know that often times seasons like this can be lightning in a bottle.....that's a lot of pressure. They're the favorite, but if they don't win it all that's going to be painful for everyone in the organization.

• Like 2

Be stout in run defense. Generate pressure against the 49ers IOL. When Purdy rolls out, you have to be ready to undercut any balls coming back across the short middle.

On offense, quick timing passes, taking what they give you. YAC opportunities are there. Don't abandon the run game. Keep them honest or they are just going to drop 6 or 7 and use their athleticism to pursue and tackle after the catch. Bend-and-does-break defense. If your QB struggles against cover-0, Wilks is gonna bring cover-0. So have a plan to beat it.

Edited by typecast

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

I mean, it's kind of a silly premise for at thread. They have three losses. Sure, players were injured......the Rams have the third best offense in the league when Stafford/Kupp/Puca/Kyren all play. But **** happens.

The amount of internalized pressure on Shanny has to be unbelievable this year. They've had two heartbreaking championship game/Super Bowl losses and this is the best team they've had. While Purdy is young, they will have to start making decisions on their roster  - we've seen this play out with Seattle and Russell Wilson, but the elite roster (and players being paid) came before the QB for the most part. That is likely going to condense the Niners window way down, possibly to just this season. On top of that, it's a team who has constantly been injured that is having good injury luck so far this year overall, which is pretty unusual in the Shanny era.

Put all that together and we all know that often times seasons like this can be lightning in a bottle.....that's a lot of pressure. They're the favorite, but if they don't win it all that's going to be painful for everyone in the organization.

Exactly, we don’t even know what will happen when Purdy is down 7 at any point, I get that they lost and they can lose any game, even in the Browns game they went down the field 1st drive and scored a TD. The browns didn’t flinch, they trusted an ex XFL QB and were able to overcome the deficit and won the game. 

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I mean...if Jake Moody makes that chip shot FG this rhetoric is dead in the water. 

But he didn’t.

And if PJ Walker doesn’t fumble on his own side of the field, the same holds true.

Brock Purdy looked HORRENDOUS all game  going 12-27 with 125 yards and a pick, and even pre injury CMC was held in check.

So, holding SF to 17 has nothing to do with the missed FG, lack of a running game, and locking down the receivers.

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

But he didn’t.

And if PJ Walker doesn’t fumble on his own side of the field, the same holds true.

Brock Purdy looked HORRENDOUS all game  going 12-27 with 125 yards and a pick, and even pre injury CMC was held in check.

So, holding SF to 17 has nothing to do with the missed FG, lack of a running game, and locking down the receivers.

You're right he didn't make the kick at the end of the game. But that shouldn't be an indictment on Purdy not being able to do his part, and maximizing the time allotted to put his team in position to win the game, which he did Even if it was by a whisker on the back of a bad performance. 

If we're singling out Purdy's day, and the rhetoric of having the ability to defeat a team hinges on a chip shot FG missed by his kicker as time expires, then it's a flimsy rhetoric. 

The Minnesota game he definitely stumbled at the end, and shoulders the blame there more in my eyes. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

9 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

You're right he didn't make the kick at the end of the game. But that shouldn't be an indictment on Purdy not being able to do his part, and maximizing the time allotted to put his team in position to win the game, which he did Even if it was by a whisker on the back of a bad performance. 

If we're singling out Purdy's day, and the rhetoric of having the ability to defeat a team hinges on a chip shot FG missed by his kicker as time expires, then it's a flimsy rhetoric. 

The Minnesota game he definitely stumbled at the end, and shoulders the blame there more in my eyes. 

I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying. I’m saying Purdy’s performance didn’t hinge on a missed kick, it was apparent all game regardless of whether or not he makes it. He looked horrible, and it was due to the ability of Cleveland to stop CMC while playing elite man defense and getting pressure.

If they win 20-19 it’s in spite of him, not because of him.

26 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Funny, i think he played well for 3 quarters vs Minnesota and Cinci, but he struggled in the 4th of both those games for whatever reason. The offense as a whole played well in those games but were undone by penalties/turnovers. Minnesota, CMC fumbled a RZ opportunity away, Moody missed a FG & we had that dumb cover 0 blitz call which were bigger factors in losing that game IMO.

I don't think he or the offense looked good in the Browns game at all. Even a lot of the yards on the potential GW FG drive was Aiyuk picking up YAC. 

This is coming from a Purdy fan who thinks he has a solid case for MVP. The Browns game was just a bad matchup for the entire Niners offense. The Browns are one of the few defenses with the scheme, coaching & talent to stop the 49ers offense. Maybe the only team.

If we make it that far, they're the team i want to face least in the SB. 

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Funny, i think he played well for 3 quarters vs Minnesota and Cinci, but he struggled in the 4th of both those games for whatever reason. The offense as a whole played well in those games but were undone by penalties/turnovers. Minnesota, CMC fumbled a RZ opportunity away, Moody missed a FG & we had that dumb cover 0 blitz call which were bigger factors in losing that game IMO.

I don't think he or the offense looked good in the Browns game at all. Even a lot of the yards on the potential GW FG drive was Aiyuk picking up YAC. 

This is coming from a Purdy fan who thinks he has a solid case for MVP. The Browns game was just a bad matchup for the entire Niners offense. The Browns are one of the few defenses with the scheme, coaching & talent to stop the 49ers offense. Maybe the only team.

If we make it that far, they're the team i want to face least in the SB. 

The Browns aren’t the same team they were with the injuries to the OL and secondary, but if we are taking Super Bowl then I’ll take anything I can get.

That said, they are also a fairly dominant team at home but struggle a bit more on the road, so I’m not sure they make the playoffs or get out of the first round, nor will I be surprised if they make a run if they get some of those defensive pieces back heathy and stop turning it over.