18 game regular season

DigInBoys

TV revenue is more lucrative than attendance, right? So it's.....fine to go to 18 games. But why not JUST have a 2nd bye week? And see if its possible to have both teams on a bye the week before their Thursday night game, so there's no more short rest.

Adding a second bye without going to 18 still gets you an extra week of games while also keeping the same number of total games with the preseason staying at 3.

I know going to 18 is inevitable so we all might as well get on board....but an extra bye alone would be lucrative and can get more rest for the players. Win/win.

• Like 9

I'm fine with 18, whatever. I'm gonna be real...I'm going to watch. 16, 17, 18. 

I'd give the players a second bye week though. I think they did that one year in like 92 or 93 or something. 

20 weeks seems like a really long season, but again, whatever. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm fine with 18, whatever. I'm gonna be real...I'm going to watch. 16, 17, 18. 

I'd give the players a second bye week though. I think they did that one year in like 92 or 93 or something. 

20 weeks seems like a really long season, but again, whatever. 

I feel the opposite about length of season. When it was 16 games it felt like you blinked and half the season was over.

I think 18 games with two bye weeks is the way to go.

We get 2 more weeks of football in that scenario, and the games would be just a little more spread out (I think it would be something like one less game per week). Which would allow more people to watch more games both in terms of national telecasts, and the afternoon not having as many games bunched up that you can't watch/pay attention to.

• Like 2

Two more weeks where vital players can get injured. 

Two more weeks of cellar dweller matchups. 

All the injuries to the QBs this year, all the preaching about safety from the NFL...bad idea.

But $$$ so they'll do it. Just come out, and be honest about your greed though lol. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 3

The product is already worse than its ever been.     Expanding the regular season to 17 was already a mistake.    Expanding the playoffs to 14 teams was an even bigger mistake.    It was a win from a money making perspective, but a major loss for fans and quality of the product.

I only watch the NFL anymore because I love my team, but I no longer love the game.   It just isn't the same anymore, and continuing to expand is only going to water down the product even more.   

• Like 3

Sometimes less is more. Not for the NFL and their revenue streams though, I guess…

They should never have gone from 16 to 17 games in the first place, but I’d probably still rather 18 than 17 because playing an odd number of games annoys me.

Edit - agreed with @43M on expanding the playoffs as well. Another completely unnecessary change purely made on the basis of finances.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

They should never have gone from 16 to 17 games in the first place, but I’d probably still rather 18 than 17 because playing an odd number of games annoys me.

I can't explain why I care, but this is my exact feeling haha.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

do the players collectively want another 2nd bye week? Does the NFLPA have an outward stance on that? Or is this a quiet bargaining chip so nobody's making public comments on it?

I don't know about the PA as a whole, though George kittle has spoken out about wanting a second bye week. 

The networks hated two bye weeks because it killed their ratings which is ultimately what led to the NFL ditching the idea. It's worth noting that players (at the time) didn't love it because they couldn't get in rhythm, but I honestly don't feel that over an 20 week schedule we would see this problem and I think players are more cognizant of things such as rest needed for recovery

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 43M said:

The product is already worse than its ever been.     Expanding the regular season to 17 was already a mistake.    Expanding the playoffs to 14 teams was an even bigger mistake.    It was a win from a money making perspective, but a major loss for fans and quality of the product.

How is it a major loss for the fans and the quality of the product? I'm not disagreeing, but my thought is that more football = better.

I don't see how the quality of the product has went down. The impact of each game naturally goes down with more and more being tacked on, but from a viewer's perspective, I want to see as much football as possible.

As someone who coaches HS and has to miss a good chunk of my Sunday's to recruit 7th/8th graders, I want to get as much football as I can.

• Like 1