Sunday Night Football: Ravens at Steelers

titans0021

1 minute ago, JMG5 said:

The Steelers don't impress me. I feel like the Patriots are going to destroy them.

Oh, and A.B. is amazing.

I mean.....even if they did impress you, the Patriots would still destroy us.    Our coaches dont know how to play them....and havent in over a decade.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

I think a team/coaching staff being paid a combined 10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands a minute should be able to figure that out themselves.

I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. How many obscure rules are in the NFL rulebook? The coaches are trying to get the correct play called and the right players in the game. Asking them to know that obscure rule is silly. The refs almost always say, "The clock will start on our ready" or "The clock will start when the ball is spotted." That should have happened.

4 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

And what Im saiyng is that the clock should never have stopped.   There should be a 10 second run off for that.

And either way,  GTFO with you acting like teams shouldnt be required to know the rules.    What a joke.

Thank you for the Steelersplaining. No, I don't think teams should be expected to know every obscure rule when their minds are on other things. It is the job of the refs to make clear what is going to happen. They have that duty.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Thank you for the Steelersplaining. No, I don't think teams should be expected to know every obscure rule when their minds are on other things. It is the job of the refs to make clear what is going to happen. They have that duty.

Is Steelsplaining anything like Ramscuses?   You know, like when you used to whine and make endless excuses for Sam Bradford?       

Good for you, though.   You dont think coaches should be required to know the rules.     Welcome to reality. 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think that's a reasonable expectation. How many obscure rules are in the NFL rulebook? The coaches are trying to get the correct play called and the right players in the game. Asking them to know that obscure rule is silly. The refs almost always say, "The clock will start on our ready" or "The clock will start when the ball is spotted." That should have happened.

I feel you, especially on the bolded, but I don't think  it changed the outcome of the game.  And with the way these refs handled every single aspect of their job tonight it doesn't surprise me that they bungled the obscure end game situation.  They have now been up about 5 hours past their bedtime so they were probably groggy and wanted to beat the traffic out of the stadium on their way home.

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

That may be true, but doesn’t matter to me. Poor situational awareness by the Ravens. 

As a Ravens fan, I'll be the first to say we absolutely deserve to lose like that if we don't know the rules AND Flacco is dumb enough to not freaking throw the ball away.

Remember, this is a team that won a Superbowl in part because we took advantage of holding calls on punts in order to take a safety and run as much clock out as we could. I have zero sympathy for us not knowing NFL rules.

2 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I think it's to prevent someone from "purposefully" rolling or "fumbling" the ball out of bounds to stop the clock. I don't know the rules, so maybe there's something already in there to stop this, but without that rule, if a WR catches a pass and then "rolls" the ball out of bounds, that seems rather cheap.

There is a rule. If its intentionally fumbled its either illegal procedure (backwards) or illegal forward pass (forward) which results in a 10 yard penalty and a 10 second runoff.

What i hate was that the fumble was totally natural and unintentional. I feel like the clock shouldve stopped but i get it. Cuz as i said before, itd be another thing that would be up to the ref's interpretation and they already screw up enough. Youd have guys practicing making intentional fumbles look real.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Is Steelsplaining anything like Ramscuses?   You know, like when you used to whine and make endless excuses for Sam Bradford?       

Good for you, though.   You dont think coaches should be required to know the rules.     Welcome to reality. 

Yes, I don't think coaches should be required to know every rule in the rulebook. That's not their job.

No, Steelersplaining is worse because the Rams sucked and I had nothing else back then. Your team is good, and you still act like an arse.

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

That may be true, but doesn’t matter to me. Poor situational awareness by the Ravens. 

No, poor job by the refs. It's amazing to me that all of these Steelers fans who were complaining about the refs all game long are suddenly defending them because the decision benefited them.

The Ravens shouldn't be expected to know every obscure rule.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The refs almost always say, "The clock will start on our ready" or "The clock will start when the ball is spotted." That should have happened.

Saints players said that refs always give a warning to a backup or special teams player about getting up on the line for a FG. The didn’t warn the Saints 3rd string guard and it cost us a FG.

If it’s in the rules that the refs HAVE to warn players about being off the line, then the FG should’ve counted.

Is it in the rules that the refs are instructed to explain that? Does it specifically say that’s the refs job? If it doesn’t, you get what you get. It would be nice if the ref helps you out, but if they don’t it just comes down to you not knowing the rules.

2 minutes ago, grubs10 said:

I feel you, especially on the bolded, but I don't think  it changed the outcome of the game.  And with the way these refs handled every single aspect of their job tonight it doesn't surprise me that they bungled the obscure end game situation.  They have now been up about 5 hours past their bedtime so they were probably groggy and wanted to beat the traffic out of the stadium on their way home.

It didn't change the outcome, but a hail mary is fun. I wanted to see one. It would have made for a better ending than Flacco taking a knee in the huddle.

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

Saints players said that refs always give a warning to a backup or special teams player about getting up on the line for a FG. The didn’t warn the Saints 3rd string guard and it cost us a FG.

If it’s in the rules that the refs HAVE to warn players about being off the line, then the FG should’ve counted.

Is it in the rules that the refs are instructed to explain that? Does it specifically say that’s the refs job? If it doesn’t, you get what you get. It would be nice if the ref helps you out, but if they don’t it just comes down to you not knowing the rules.

I don't know what happened there, but I'm fairly sure that the refs do give you a head's up if you point to the side judge. Did the Saints player do that?

Archived