Sunday Night Football: Ravens at Steelers

titans0021

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

I mean, it’s not like it’s required of them. As we saw tonight, knowing obscure rules is optional. 

We see that pretty often. The refs usually explain what's happening. I'm not sure why it now became time to justify the refs' behavior after people complaining about them all game long.

Just now, Darth Pees said:

Are you aware of how high Justin Tucker's kicks are? :D

I'm saying that you can't get the FG team on the field in 9 seconds. Tucker might have the leg for that, but it's impossible to get the FG team on the field in 9 seconds with a running clock.

Just now, jrry32 said:

I'm saying that you can't get the FG team on the field in 9 seconds. Tucker might have the leg for that, but it's impossible to get the FG team on the field in 9 seconds with a running clock.

Spike the ball? I don't know what down it was, but I think it was 4th down so yes my point would be moot.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't know what happened there, but I'm fairly sure that the refs do give you a head's up if you point to the side judge. Did the Saints player do that?

It was a kickoff before halftime. Starts at 5:40 in the video

I'd think the refs, once they made the call, would inform the teams of what's going on. Everyone seemed to be under the impression another play was going to be run. I mean, if you are going to start the clock I'd think the Ravens naturally would be informed of that along with the Steelers.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure why it now became time to justify the refs' behavior after people complaining about them all game long.

I can’t explain that.

But I didn’t make a single complain about officiating other than the NFL calling to review a play too late and putting the ref in a spot where he has to stop the game to explain why he isn’t stopping the game.

I have no dog in the fight and wanted the Ravens to win. I picked them as a dark horse to win the Super Bowl.

Focus here seems to be on whether the Ravens knew the rule, when it seems more like no one knew the rule, the refs were informed or reminded of it by the same league office that tried to challenge a play earlier after another snap was run...and then they started the clock or ran it down because screw it.

4 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Saints players said that refs always give a warning to a backup or special teams player about getting up on the line for a FG. The didn’t warn the Saints 3rd string guard and it cost us a FG.

If it’s in the rules that the refs HAVE to warn players about being off the line, then the FG should’ve counted.

Is it in the rules that the refs are instructed to explain that? Does it specifically say that’s the refs job? If it doesn’t, you get what you get. It would be nice if the ref helps you out, but if they don’t it just comes down to you not knowing the rules.

Its not part of their job. There overall title is to enforce the rules and maintain the general order of the game. Theyre not required to inform anyone of rulings beside rule enforcements to my awareness.

The other thing i just thought of, if that was the ruled a live ball with the clock moving the ref should signaled that by winding his arm. If it was a dead ball clock stopped, ref wouldve waved his hands over his head so players/coaches shouldve known by that. Did anyone see what the line judge's clock signal was after the play?

17 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yes, I don't think coaches should be required to know every rule in the rulebook. That's not their job.

Again, it’s not a requirement. He doesn’t have to know every rule, as he showed tonight. It’s not his job, so you’re right there.

Successful people go above and beyond their job requirements, all the time. In fact it’s usually what makes them successful. John should hit the (rule)books this offseason.

Just now, riceman80 said:

Its not part of their job. There overall title is to enforce the rules and maintain the general order of the game. Theyre not required to inform anyone of rulings beside rule enforcements to my awareness.

The other thing i just thought of, if that was the ruled a live ball with the clock moving the ref should signaled that by winding his arm. If it was a dead ball clock stopped, ref wouldve waved his hands over his head so players/coaches shouldve known by that. Did anyone see what the line judge's clock signal was after the play?

As I just said, it didn't appear that anyone had any clue the clock was running.

39 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'd think the refs, once they made the call, would inform the teams of what's going on. Everyone seemed to be under the impression another play was going to be run. I mean, if you are going to start the clock I'd think the Ravens naturally would be informed of that along with the Steelers.

Exactly.

Harbaugh reminded me of why I despise him so much in his post-game. I've never seen it before. Half way through, after getting questions about what the defense was doing all night on Brown and why he was alone in key spots, Harbaugh stops and goes, "Did anyone see that last play on Maclin in the end?" After some muttering from the media about different plays he settles in on the one where Maclin was down. He asks if he was hit in the head. Media responded with silence and went on to the next question.

Archived