Week 14 Broncos at Chargers.

thebestever6

Just now, BroncoBruin said:

Thank you Sean Payton for turning the Broncos into a serious team again. Good stance of finishing with our first winning record since 2016, that’s not nothing. And very much alive in the cluster of wild card teams. 

Pretty amazing job he's done. 

• Like 4

If anybody else was wondering here's what I found on Lucas Krull. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/lucas-krull/32004b52-5550-7134-95a7-3950c4ae4b6b

He was in the Saints camp and was waived in August. We picked him up 2 days later. Interesting bio and traits. Just made his 1st NFL reception. Man, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could coach him up. Outside of QB,TE is really the only offensive skill position where we're lacking.

• Like 1

We seem to be catching the Lions at the right time given their recent offensive struggles, but I still think this will be a big test for our defense. We haven't played an offense that has been clicking this year with the exception of the Dolphins(and maybe Texans who honestly should have scored more on us). Our recent wins have all come against struggling offenses plus a few with back up quarterbacks so I am not 100% sold on the defense. That being said you play who is in front of you and the young guys who have been given shots are balling. Mcmillan continues to be a playmaker and Browning looked pretty good today. 

It was really good to see the Broncos control the ball and run clock/come away with a TD near the end. More of the same from Russ today, albeit slightly better on third down. Jeudy was an absolute dud out there. The guy may be a great route runner and would almost certainly be better with a timing qb, but he doesn't have it from a physicality or mental standpoint. No focus or accountability on the things that he can improve. Steve Smith hit the nail on the head. 

Not sure if we will see dulcich this year, but the offense is desperate for a seam threat.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MontanaBronco said:

Not sure if we will see dulcich this year, but the offense is desperate for a seam threat.

I think at this point you have to kind of write him off. He's just one of those guys that can't stay healthy. If I'm Payton I'd have him on the block. 

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I think at this point you have to kind of write him off. He's just one of those guys that can't stay healthy. If I'm Payton I'd have him on the block. 

I agree. The guy is a talent but boy he can’t stay healthy.

But holy crap we’re right there in the west and damn the Lions look oh so beatable.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree. The guy is a talent but boy he can’t stay healthy.

But holy crap we’re right there in the west and damn the Lions look oh so beatable.  

Too much huh? I've been watching this team since Noah was a pup and never enjoyed a season more. We're on the verge of having the greatest turnaround in history (knock on wood). Our DC has to be the most improved in the League and we're looking pretty legit now. We've beaten some pretty good teams.

• Like 1

Do wanna give Vance Joseph some props as well. The turnaround has been pretty incredible and he has been mixing things up pretty well. A lot less blitz happy, but still dialing up the pressure here and there. I was definitely on the why did we hire this guy and he prolly needs to be fired bandwagon so I am glad he has turned it around and is proving me wrong.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MontanaBronco said:

Do wanna give Vance Joseph some props as well. The turnaround has been pretty incredible and he has been mixing things up pretty well. A lot less blitz happy, but still dialing up the pressure here and there. I was definitely on the why did we hire this guy and he prolly needs to be fired bandwagon so I am glad he has turned it around and is proving me wrong.

Yup and the team will have continuity and confidence next year in VJ’s system. He’s doing it without a few critical pieces. So impressive. 

• Like 1

Well, not much to add to the discussion already.

A few observations:

-Russell Wilson is still a problem.   Jeudy owns his drop and failure to get his toe-tap on the TD (as a guy who had his yardage prop and 1st alt line hitting, that's a 7U swing....doh).    But Wilson also had him wide open for a walk in TD.    We scored points today mostly because our run game wore the Chargers out, along with our D.  This is a problem next week, because the DET O has a great run game & OL, and they can play the ball-control game with Amon-Ra St. Brown and Sam Laporta in their WR corps.  Their pass D is atrocious though, and only has 1 pass rusher, so it's going to be crucial that we play better on O in the pass game (they have a decent run D, which is why we need to have a functional pass game next week).      The pick that put LAC in our RZ - late throw, and inside.    Exactly what you're not supposed to do.     Today's win changes nothing with Russ - he's our biggest problem, but hopefully his stock for an offseason trade rose.

-Besides losing Herbert, the Chargers total lack of run game absolutely killed them vs. our D.   Smart teams would run it 30-35x against us, but LAC is so bad at the run game, they couldn't keep with that plan (why CLE didn't stick with that plan is still beyond insane IMO).

-Jeudy man, I get it, it's tough being in this O sometimes - but it's days like today that seal his fate with us.  It's just a matter of when, not if, at this rate.   And that's a shame, because he's getting so open - but you can't drop that ball, nor fail to get your feet in.   The feet-in was IMO worse than the drop.     Didn't cost us, but you can't be a NFL WR and fail at those plays (well you can if your name is Quentin Johnston, but even then he's a rookie).   SMH.

-Ja'Quan McMillan continues to be ascendant.   Nothing else need to be said.

-God, please be OK Nik Bonnito.   It's bad enough we lost Sterns, not Bonnito.   Pleaaaaase.

-Once Justin Herbert was out, it was game over.   But I'll also point out that HC Brandon Staley was just outclassed by Sean Payton, in even the simplest decisions.    Going for it TWICE in a 0-0 and 7-0 game with their limited weapons on pass O (it's Keenan Allen, and that's it; and they decided to go with hot-hand at RB - which seldom works out when it's a 3-man rotation like we saw today).    It's refreshing that we're winning the coaching edge each week now.

I'm so torn - because a 10-7 record almost certainly gets us in.  But we're going nowhere with our run D and Russell Wilson at QB.    Realistically, we're rightful dogs to DET...but then we play LAC without Herbert, NE & LV...so yeah, 10-7 is definitely possible.  I'd prefer we NOT make the playoffs, though - if only to cement the notion that Russ is not our 2024 QB (and thus our 2025 QB at 37M more...ugh).     Still, other than the Bonnito injury and Jeudy drops, hard not to give an A to the squad overall.  

Edited by Broncofan

This week is winnable but definitely tough. But the Broncos are still in a great spot. 

The AFC North and AFC South teams in the wild card race will knock each other out. It’s very possible only one of those teams is left standing. The door is open for Denver and the schedule after Detroit couldn’t be easier at this stage. You have three bad QBs on three bad teams, two of those games are at home. Go 3-0 to close and make the playoffs. 

• Like 1

So we need a christmas Gift to win the division. Winning all 4 games we need KC lost 2 games at least or 1 divison game (Raiders or Chargers) . Their schedule is not hard. Patriots , Raiders, Bengals and Chargers. If Denver make the PO it is at WildCard. The only real offense is Detroit next Saturday. Winning 4 we have good chance to be in at 5 seed and play Jax. 

Excellent win. Obviously a little bit of luck with Herbert getting hurt, but nice to see us just put a team away for once instead of letting it linger until the very end. We're sitting pretty right now which is the most encouraging thing. Have to assume LAC won't rush back Herbert, especially with them effectively out of the playoff race. Likely means we get Goff, Zappe, Stick and O'Connell to end the season, which is about as good a scenario as one could hope for.

I didn't think we were especially inspired offensively today, but didn't really need to be. Defensively we looked extremely good and Vance Joseph deserves a ton of credit for the significant shift this team has undergone in the last 7 weeks or so.

Just a point on Jerry Jeudy. I think he's about done in Denver. It's unfortunate because I know we all hoped it would end better, but that performance yesterday was abysmal. I think he's wayyyy too much in his own head and probably needs a fresh start somewhere that isn't Denver. The fans and media have soured on him and he's doing himself no favors on the field. I fully expect Denver to tackle the WR position in the draft, particular because Mims has been slow to get going.  It's always possible we move on from Russ and it unlocks Jeudy to some extent, but I think it's more likely they're both gone next year.

• Like 1