Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

13 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

We don't really have much evidence he can be, though, either.

Are there many great QBs who weren't the focal point of their college offense?

Some years ago, Michigan had a QB that backed up Brian Griese for some years and then alternated play with Drew Henson to start his senior season. While he had some moments in college, I wouldn't call him the focal point most of the time.  He did okay in the NFL and even ended up earning some Super Bowl rings and other accolades.

I am explicitly saying that all Michigan QBs are not the same.  One is Brian Griese. One is Drew Henson. One of them is Tom Brady. One of them is McCarthy.  I have no idea where he'll fall in the spectrum of Michigan QBs.  The system they used when he was at Michigan was not the same as it was in the 90s, so it is hard to compare, but I do not expect McCarthy to set a new top end standard for Michigan QB success in the NFL.

• Like 2

I think McCarthy has a feel for the game. No moment seems too big for him. Yes, he didn't have to be THE GUY for his team, but that' not necessarily his fault. However, when called upon to step up, he did. He also has all of the physical tools. His arm isn't Jamarcus Russell's, but it's not Chad Pennington. He'd be well above average there. 

What I really like about him is that he played under an NFL head coach, led his teammates, and is still quite young. He wasn't a "man amongst boys" like Penix, Nix, Hendon Hooker, and many other older QBs seemed to be. I see a lot of room to grow for his body and his game. At worst, he seems like a very high floor NFL starter.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Tom Brady

He was drafted decades ago....any in the last 10 years? Also, no one expected him to be good, given where he was picked. Random things can happen...sure, you can pick an example here and there, but what are the actual odds of that working?

I think you just have to accept that McCarthy’s situation is unique. There might not be a precedent to point to. 

There aren’t a lot of top tier football programs that operate like Michigan. Most have all transitioned to pass centric styles of play. Even Saban shifted Alabama that direction. And because of that, it’s going to be rare for a program like Michigan to recruit a 4/5 star QB who is a traditional passing QB. Most want to go to the Ohio States, USCs, Oregons, and Georgias of the world. But Michigan was able to land McCarthy because he wanted to be coached by Harbaugh. Which, to me, shows a high level of maturity and forward thinking. Two more positive traits for a young QB to have.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think you just have to accept that McCarthy’s situation is unique. There might not be a precedent to point to. 

There aren’t a lot of top tier football programs that operate like Michigan. Most have all transitioned to pass centric styles of play. Even Saban shifted Alabama that direction. And because of that, it’s going to be rare for a program like Michigan to recruit a 4/5 star QB who is a traditional passing QB. Most want to go to the Ohio States, USCs, Oregons, and Georgias of the world. But Michigan was able to land McCarthy because he wanted to be coached by Harbaugh. Which, to me, shows a high level of maturity and forward thinking. Two more positive traits for a young QB to have.

Fair.....I have no idea who the best QB4 is....

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

What I really like about him is that he played under an NFL head coach, led his teammates, and is still quite young. He wasn't a "man amongst boys" like Penix, Nix, Hendon Hooker, and many other older QBs seemed to be.

My one problem with McCarthy is that he is young. Youth and immaturity are not necessarily synonymous...but there is generally a huge difference in maturity among men 25 than men who are 20.

1 minute ago, Captain Relax said:

My one problem with McCarthy is that he is young. Youth and immaturity are not necessarily synonymous...but there is generally a huge difference in maturity among men 25 than men who are 20.

We've also seen very immature 25 yr olds.  🤣

41 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

There's nothing to indicate that McCarthy is immature. He conducts himself well in interviews, has had no off-field incidents, hasn't had any on-field or sideline tantrums, and his teammates seemed to rally around him. It seems that he's much more Matt Stafford/Alex Smith than Jameis Winston/Zach Wilson.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

i think it's more important to look at the person themself and make a judgment, not put them in a box with an age label on it.

15 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i think it's more important to look at the person themself and make a judgment, not put them in a box with an age label on it.

Like I said...age and maturity aren't synonymous.  However,  biologically, the male brain isn't fully developed until around 27 to 30 (female brains develop faster than males).  There are exceptions, of course...but maturity usually comes with a more developed brain.  Of course, some people never mature.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Like I said...age and maturity aren't synonymous.  However,  biologically, the male brain isn't fully developed until around 27 to 30 (female brains develop faster than males).  There are exceptions, of course...but maturity usually comes with a more developed brain.  Of course, some people never mature.

Yeah, I know of a particular 77 yr old.

• Like 1