Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I'm about 90% sure that he won't be there at the end of the first. 

Maybe. We just need someone to fall in love with Bo Nix and let McCarthy fall.

Of all the QBs, he's the one I'm most concerned about. 

I know some look at Penix and say he could struggle with his previous injury history, age and being a lefty, but he's dang good. I think he'll be everything that Sam Bradford was supposed to be (I'm sticking with that comparison too, no matter how bad it is lol).

22 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe. We just need someone to fall in love with Bo Nix and let McCarthy fall.

Of all the QBs, he's the one I'm most concerned about. 

I know some look at Penix and say he could struggle with his previous injury history, age and being a lefty, but he's dang good. I think he'll be everything that Sam Bradford was supposed to be (I'm sticking with that comparison too, no matter how bad it is lol).

I don't like Penix's release.  I think he's going to have issues getting the ball out on time in the NFL (despite probably having the best arm of the top-rated QBs) and his throwing style reminds me way too much of Tarvaris.  I think he's going to need a lot of work on his mechanics.  Not that I wouldn't take a chance on him, but I still have McCarthy ahead of Penix on my personal list because I just see a bigger upside and his mechanics are more sound at this point, so there is something to build off of.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, marshpit23 said:

Can’t remember where I saw it, but they put the over/under round 1, 19.5 pick. Seems about right to me.

Which makes the Vikings taking him at 11 not a significant reach.  If they could trade back and get him a little later, that'd probably be ideal, but with Denver, LV and Seattle all behind them and potentially in the market for a QB as well, that'd be risky. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Which makes the Vikings taking him at 11 not a significant reach.  If they could trade back and get him a little later, that'd probably be ideal, but with Denver, LV and Seattle all behind them and potentially in the market for a QB as well, that'd be risky. 

There's something about McCarthy's game that bothers me.  I just can't put my finger on it.  I haven't studied him in any where near "Ozzy-like" depth (who really needs a job at ESPN, by the way.) 

• Like 2

Just now, Captain Relax said:

There's something about McCarthy's game that bothers me.  I just can't put my finger on it.  I haven't studied him in any where near "Ozzy-like" depth (who really needs a job at ESPN, by the way.) 

I imagine a lot of it is because Harbaugh sort of refuses to put him in situations where he can stretch his skills.  But, he did similarly with Alex Smith, who averaged less than 200 yds a game with him in the 2 yrs that he had him in SF (running a lot with Gore and Kendall Hunter), but then when he went to KC was all of a sudden throwing for 215+ yds a game under Reid.

Michigan is a run heavy offense, and it'll certainly continue with McCarthy gone and Edwards staying (dumb move but whatever).

Williams, Maye and Daniels all would have had significantly less opportunity had they played at Michigan. Had OSU went with McCarthy over McCord, chances are McCarthy is a top 5 pick.

2 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Can’t remember where I saw it, but they put the over/under round 1, 19.5 pick. Seems about right to me.

If that is the over/under for where McCarthy will be drafted, I would take the over.  I don't think he'll be picked until the 25th pick or later. If I was drafting for the Vikings and I wanted McCarthy I wouldn't want to reach for him with pick 11, but I also would be nervous with thoughts he wouldn't make it to their second-round pick.  Depending on how the draft was going, I might try to trade up a few picks from their current second round pick to draft McCarthy if he was still available at that point in the draft.

The combine and pro day nit-picking will influence how team's think of all of these players. It wouldn't shock me if McCarthy convinced at least one team that he was worth taking in the first round.

• Like 1

If, if, IF... the Vikes traded the #11 down to say... 20 or so... and drafted McCarthy, what would we receive for compensation?

as many others are, i'm torn between:

• being aggressive and trading up for Daniels
  • taking the top defensive player at 11
  • trading 11 down for McCarthy of Penix perhaps and acquiring another pick(s).
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

If, if, IF... the Vikes traded the #11 down to say... 20 or so... and drafted McCarthy, what would we receive for compensation?

I lean, ever so slightly, to trading down and taking Nix or Penix..... Or further down and if they believe in McCarthy, him. Buy in but sure what choice is best, among trading up, down, staying pat with Kirk.... Which is my least favorite, and I really like Kirk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jimmy Johnson trade chart would say 1.11 (1250) for 1.20 (850), 2.52 (380), and 3.84 (170). We would net 150 points (1400-1250) or the equivalent of pick 3.88.

Rich Hill trade chart would say 1.11 (358) for 1.20 (269), 2.252 (109), and 3.84 (51). We would net 71 points (429-358) or the equivalent of pick 3.69.

Is each model enough to move down 9 spots? Who knows and we had very mixed feelings on KAM moving down to 32 with the Lions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vike daddy said:

I think this team has many holes to fill, especially on defense, that's why I'd prefer trading tdown a few spots (in case the three top QBs are gone by pick 5). If any of the top 3 is available, you might think about trading up to pick 6.

When I say top three QBs, I have to say that of the three, I'm most concerned about Maye. I think he plays reckless sometimes and could be turnover prone in the pros.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GermanVike said:

I think this team has many holes to fill, especially on defense, that's why I'd prefer trading tdown a few spots (in case the three top QBs are gone by pick 5). If any of the top 3 is available, you might think about trading up to pick 6.

very understandable stance to take.

the flip side of that is held by those who are advocating putting a trade in place before Draft Day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

very understandable stance to take.

the flip side of that is held by those who are advocating putting a trade in place before Draft Day.

A draft day trade before the draft may be less costly than during the draft. I would advocate for trading up, if the value is right... say if WIlliams or Daniels were to fall.

And it all depends on FA: If we were to resign hunter and sign a good DT and a CB, I'm all for trading up to draft a generational talent. Especially if we don't re-sign cousins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GermanVike said:

A draft day trade before the draft may be less costly than during the draft. I would advocate for trading up, if the value is right... say if WIlliams or Daniels were to fall.

And it all depends on FA: If we were to resign hunter and sign a good DT and a CB, I'm all for trading up to draft a generational talent. Especially if we don't re-sign cousins.

Trading up in the draft before free agency, should cost more. Trading up team, gets to approach Free Agency with a better eye on who their draft pick/position is, so they could choose not to invest in the same position in Free Agency (ex QB: Kirk and Daniels). 

there would be a cost to have that privilege

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1