Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

30 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i understand totally. what about if he was QB4? lol

as much as i like Penix (and don't care about his age), i do care about his injury history.

Touché, I guess I just don't see the same upside with Nix that I do with Penix. His (Penix) injury history scares me as well but he has played two full seasons with Washington now. 

14 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

But what if Nix is top 2 QB on their own list. This is the problem, no one actually knows. 

But assuming Kirk is retained, I rather draft DL

Agreed, we'll never know what their QB big board looks like. They have to get the QB pick right.

• Like 1

Here it is, my first ever mock draft (traded down twice, because the board - especially at QB - fell in my favour, acquiring an extra second and third)

Decided to double dip at CB, because the cupboard is  bare at the moment. Overall, I had the the feeling that the PFN simulator isn't up to date yet, leading to a couple of value picks that won't be there in April (e.g. Dewayne Carter in the fifth).

I have to admit that after round 4, my knowledge of the picks started dropping rapidly, so from there on, I drafted based on need.

8bmhb7.jpg

• Like 3

12) Minnesota Vikings: Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama

Brian Flores runs the most unique defense in the NFL. But while unique, it’s far from a gimmick.

Flores blitzes as much as anybody, but unlike Wink Martindale, he backs those exotic pressures with a heaping dose of zone coverage on the back end. That’s a bit of a change from Flores’ roots, but it was the best marriage for the defensive personnel he had.

Kool-Aid McKinstry to Minnesota might be the most obvious fit in this draft class. He’s a zone-coverage savant, his positional leverage maintenance is outrageous, and his downhill trigger is impressive. But even though he’s stronger in zone coverage than man, McKinstry doesn’t lack fluidity or explosiveness.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2024-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-make-blockbuster-trade-top-pick/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

11. Minnesota Vikings

Jer'Zhan Newton, DT, Illinois

The Vikings are a prime candidate to take a QB, and I almost made that move here. But there's a good chance Kirk Cousins returns to Minnesota, giving the Vikings the chance to instead take one of the best defensive players in the draft. Outside of Danielle Hunter -- who is a free agent this offseason -- Minnesota had a severe lack of talent along its defensive front.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2024/insider/story/_/id/39272459/2024-nfl-mock-draft-round-1-predictions-32-picks

11. Minnesota Vikings: Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU

It’s possible Daniels comes off the board in the top 10 (maybe even in the top three). This is more in line with where I’d place the Heisman winner in the stack, though, and Minnesota needs new life at the QB position. Daniels has played a lot of ball (55 games), but the 23-year-old still has room to develop and would be great with Justin Jefferson.

https://theathletic.com/5190250/2024/01/10/nfl-mock-draft-2024-bears-falcons-trade/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=twhq&source=twitterhq

• Like 2

Ryan Wilson, CBSSports:

1) WASH trades with CHI - Caleb Williams, QB
2) Chicago - Marvin Harrison Jr, WR
3) New England - Drake Maye, QB
4) Arizona - Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT
5) LA Chargers - Joe Alt, OT
6) NY Giants - Jayden Daniels, QB
7) TENN - JC Latham, OT
8 ) Atlanta - Michael Penix Jr., QB 
9) Chicago - Dallas Turner, EDGE
10) NY Jets - Malik Nabers, WR
11) Minnesota Vikings - Jared Verse, EDGE

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024-nfl-mock-draft-commanders-take-no-chances-trade-up-to-no-1-for-qb-saints-get-a-steal-at-no-14/

Edited by vike daddy

29 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

All four of those work for me, but Daniels won't be there at eleven. 

Not likely, but Daniels is one of those pretty quick risers, so you never know.  I'm not sure he was even in the top 10 of QB prospects prior to this year. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Not likely, but Daniels is one of those pretty quick risers, so you never know.  I'm not sure he was even in the top 10 of QB prospects prior to this year. 

He was not! But from what I read, he's got it all. If he falls at all, I'd deal up for him. I like him 2nd best this year over Maye.

However, I've only seen the West Coast and McCarthy play this year, so what do I know?

Would love to see us try to do what the Texans have done.  Young Francise QB, Great LT , young Edge Rusher and young Lock down CB.  Those are the 4 most important positions in football and we have 1 of those right now as we speak in Darrisaw.  QB probably isn't in our range this year (Maybe trade down to mid/ late first for Penix),  CB class is decent but not great and we still have guys from the last couple of drafts  that we are trying to develop.  Or Top Edge Rusher (Turner/Verse/Latu)?  Now just may be the time to tear it down to and not pay Cousins and Hunter as well.  Possibly trade Jefferson as he is still young and would Probably get more than Adams or the Tyreek Hill deal (maybe 2 1st a 2nd + roster player?).  Thing is the divison is only getting stronger and we are getting weaker but I have a feeling the Wilfs will never want to go full rebuild like the Texans.

Edited by Taylor0026
adding 1 word

17 hours ago, Taylor0026 said:

Would love to see us try to do what the Texans have done.  Young Francise QB, Great LT , young Edge Rusher and young Lock down CB.  Those are the 4 most important positions in football and we have 1 of those right now as we speak in Darrisaw.  QB probably isn't in our range this year (Maybe trade down to mid/ late first for Penix),  CB class is decent but not great and we still have guys from the last couple of drafts  that we are trying to develop.  Or Top Edge Rusher (Turner/Verse/Latu)?  Now just may be the time to tear it down to and not pay Cousins and Hunter as well.  Possibly trade Jefferson as he is still young and would Probably get more than Adams or the Tyreek Hill deal (maybe 2 1st a 2nd + roster player?).  Thing is the divison is only getting stronger and we are getting weaker but I have a feeling the Wilfs will never want to go full rebuild like the Texans.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.  While I'm sure that there have been several around here in the past that think the team should go the full rebuild route, I'm not sure they could handle it during the rebuild.  If anything has been proven as Vikings' fans, we have fairly high expectations.  Going into full tank mode, I don't think we could handle that, even if we say we could.  The Texans really had nothing to lose by going the route they did, they've had intermittent success here and there, but their owner died and the Watson scandal happened, so they had the freedom really to reboot.  Not since the Love Boat has that really been the case here (maybe the collapse of the Metrodome)...but even when that opportunity arose, the leash wasn't very long before the fanbase became unsettled. 

• Like 1

Dane Brugler of The Athletic has released his first two round mock of the year;

11. Minnesota Vikings: Laiatu Latu, Edge, UCLA

Over his two seasons at UCLA, Latu accounted for 34 tackles for loss, 23.5 sacks and five forced fumbles. He has first-step quickness and bend, but his crafty handwork and ability to diversify his attack separate him as a pass rusher. His injury history could be an issue, but this Vikings regime has taken chances with those risks in the past.

42. Minnesota Vikings: Ruke Orhorhoro, DT, Texas

The Vikings double up on the defensive line. Well-built at 6-4, 295 with 34-inch arms, Orhorhoro is an impressive mover and offers a high ceiling after he was late to the game of football.

• Like 2