Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

If the Vikings are willing to move up to #2 to draft a QB, I won't question their selction of Daniels over Maye or vice versa. To make that kind of move, they're certain they're getting their guy and have faith he'll be all that and more. 

That said, McCarthy is really growing on me. Even moreso if they sign Kirk up for 2 years. If they could trade back a few spots, pick up a day 2 pick and still get McCarthy, I'd be really stoked about that.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 9:27 AM, SemperFeist said:

Can’t say I’d be thrilled with Daniels over Maye. 

I have Daniels over Maye. JJ is a wild card, and he could get pushed up especially if Nix & Penix continue show they shouldn’t be first round material

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

That said, McCarthy is really growing on me. Even moreso if they sign Kirk up for 2 years. If they could trade back a few spots, pick up a day 2 pick and still get McCarthy, I'd be really stoked about that.

i've always liked McC as the Kirko understudy, not that i know anything about these players or their real ability to become top flight pros.

what is it you see in him you like so much?

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

What, particularly, is growing on you about McCarthy?

He does many of the little things well. His mechanics and footwork are great for a QB with as little experience as he has. He’s a natural mover in the pocket and has the 6th sense people talk about a QB needing to feel pressure. He’s accurate, and has a strong sense of timing and rhythm with his throws, which is also pretty impressive for his little experience. 

And he comes through in the clutch. Something that just seems a player either has, or they don’t. You can’t really coach it. You’re not going to find a game where McCarthy took over and willed the team to victory because Michigan doesn’t run that kind of program. He was never asked to be the focal point of the offense. But when you look at his advanced stats, his 3rd down numbers, his 4th quarter numbers, etc you see a lot of positives. And it shows that while he wasn’t always the engine that drove the Wolverines, when the team needed to him to make a throw, or make a key play, McCarthty came through, often. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He does many of the little things well. His mechanics and footwork are great for a QB with as little experience as he has. He’s a natural mover in the pocket and has the 6th sense people talk about a QB needing to feel pressure. He’s accurate, and has a strong sense of timing and rhythm with his throws, which is also pretty impressive for his little experience. 

And he comes through in the clutch. Something that just seems a player either has, or they don’t. You can’t really coach it. You’re not going to find a game where McCarthy took over and willed the team to victory because Michigan doesn’t run that kind of program. He was never asked to be the focal point of the offense. But when you look at his advanced stats, his 3rd down numbers, his 4th quarter numbers, etc you see a lot of positives. And it shows that while he wasn’t always the engine that drove the Wolverines, when the team needed to him to make a throw, or make a key play, McCarthty came through, often. 

very informative analysis, thank you.

as to the bolded points, wouldn't O'Connell WANT a qb who was the offense's focal point, as he did with Cousins?

59 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

very informative analysis, thank you.

as to the bolded points, wouldn't O'Connell WANT a qb who was the offense's focal point, as he did with Cousins?

Just because Michigan didn’t make their QB the focal point doesn’t mean that McCarthy isn’t capable of being the focal point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Thank you. What would you say he needs to work on?  Or, what about McCarthy will be limiting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Just because Michigan didn’t make their QB the focal point doesn’t mean that McCarthy isn’t capable of being the focal point.

We don't really have much evidence he can be, though, either.

Are there many great QBs who weren't the focal point of their college offense?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Thank you. What would you say he needs to work on?  Or, what about McCarthy will be limiting.

Consistency. Experience. I really don’t think there’s anything that will be limiting for McCarthy, it’s just whether or not his development continues and he reaches his potential. 

He doesn’t have the rocket arm, but he can certainly make any nfl level throw. He’s not the biggest guy, but at 20 it’s hard to say whether or not he’s going to fill out his frame more, or not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

Are there many great QBs who weren't the focal point of their college offense?

It’s not a long list but when looking at McCarthy, you also need to look at Harbaugh. This is just how Harbaugh runs the show. Stanford was a run first program even with Andrew Luck. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

If the Vikings are willing to move up to #2 to draft a QB, I won't question their selction of Daniels over Maye or vice versa. To make that kind of move, they're certain they're getting their guy and have faith he'll be all that and more. 

I like either option you laid out here. 

I agree with mostly what’s been said about JJ. He was not asked to do anything spectacular with his coach knowing they had a dominant team. JJ did well, while not needing to do too much. It doesn’t mean he not capable of doing alot more (better), it’s just he was not given the opportunity to show he can let loose. I think JJ is going to be a late riser during the workouts/pro days when he’ll be able to show more. But I come back to the notion that if he had “spectacular” underneath, we would have got a bit more glimes of it. It would be a rough for me to take him at #11, but I’d take him over Nix/Penix

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I agree with mostly what’s been said about JJ. He was not asked to do anything spectacular with his coach knowing they had a dominant team. JJ did well, while not needing to do too much. It doesn’t mean he not capable of doing alot more (better), it’s just he was not given the opportunity to show he can let loose. I think JJ is going to be a late riser during the workouts/pro days when he’ll be able to show more. But I come back to the notion that if he had “spectacular” underneath, we would have got a bit more glimes of it. It would be a rough for me to take him at #11, but I’d take him over Nix/Penix

From what I’ve read, watches and heard, Nix is not a candidate for the Viking’s QBOTF, imo. 
Penix? Possibly at 42.

McCarthy intrigues me. His ability to make the progressive reads and pocket awareness may need work, he’s a little raw. But I like his arm, accuracy and athleticism. I have no clue about his leadership abilities, but he did help lead Michigan to a National title. I wouldn’t mind a small trade back in the first, gain a 3rd round pick and select him there. Of course we would either need to re-sign Kirk or a veteran bridge QB. 

• Like 1