Don't You Dare MOCK Us!

vike daddy

The rise of McCarthy in a lot of mock drafts reminds me of how the Fed used to talk about the economy prior to the housing market collapse in 2008. The Fed recognized the economy was driven by "irrational exuberance." Then the bubble burst. 

I am NOT predicting McCarthy will bust.  However, we need to remember that he has not been in a quarterback driven offense at Michigan...which is what the O'Connell offense requires.  

I am NOT saying McCarthy can't be that quarterback.  I am saying there's not as much evidence for success or failure at the pro level that most other QB's in this class have. And, there is no way to determine a likelihood of success or failure before the draft.  The combine might indicate things like throwing mechanics and ability to hit his initial read.  But the combine does not replicate game conditions.  I am not expecting any great insight on McCarthy by what he does or doesn't do in Indianapolis. 

At this point, I don't have an opinion on whether or not the Vikings should draft McCarthy.  I just don't know what to think about him, and that bothers me.  I will trust that KAM will have it figured out by draft weekend.  Otherwise, the rising of McCarthy in the mocks feels like "irrational exuberance."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think fans need to realize that these “rises” aren’t teams just learning about a player. It’s the media and draft analysts becoming more aware of how NFL teams/scouts think. 

and not just the rises either, but the drops. 

i guess you can't have one without the other....

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I would haaaaaaate that. 

Unless he wins us a Super Bowl. 

But until then, I would haaaaaaaate that. 

That's a HEFTY price for any team to pay.  And he's got to be more than an above-average QB.  I'd argue that the QB you trade up needs to have a realistic "floor" of something like Kirk Cousins.  A guy who pushes that elite tier but consistency doesn't quite keep him there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think fans need to realize that these “rises” aren’t teams just learning about a player. It’s the media and draft analysts becoming more aware of how NFL teams/scouts think. 

Oftentimes the media and draft analysis get it wrong though and and the player falls anyways. 

But sometimes they get it right like Richardson

• Like 1

With the start of the NFL Scouting Combine just around the corner, here's my second projection of the year for Round 1 of the 2024 NFL Draft. 

Pick 11 Minnesota Vikings

Dallas Turner

Alabama · Edge · Junior

I wouldn’t rule out the Vikings drafting a quarterback early, but I’m not sure they’ll have the ammunition to trade up for one. With Danielle Hunter heading for free agency, they address the need for pass-rush help.

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-2024-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-four-quarterbacks-selected-in-first-eight-picks

In this instance, 4 QBs are taken before the Vikings' pick, so they have no option other than to go defense. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

For discussion purposes, if your choice was;

A.) Re-sign Cousins and draft Dallas Turner at 11

or

B.) Re-sign Hunter and draft JJ McCarthy at 11

Which would people prefer? 

*let’s assume Jefferson signs his extension in either scenario. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

or

If McCarthy had ever carried his team with his arm, I'd know the answer, but I don't know.....Likely B because Cousins only has a year or two left, and you might as well roll the die on McCarthy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

or

B.

i think Hunter has more immediate one man value to the team that Cousins does. and at significantly less price, which really means it's Hunter AND another player versus just Cousins. but yes, qb's have great value by themselves.

i'm not convinced today's Cousins will be 2023 Cousins immediately for us, where i think Hunter would be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

or

B all day

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

or

Hunter + McCarthy #11

* with JJ extension or JJ trade or no JJ extension

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

or

I think that may be harder than what people may think, but I agree with the others that you'd have to go with B, because they'd probably be saving in the neighborhood of $15M on the cap, which can be used on other players to improve the defensive talent...and also potentially in an extension for Darrisaw, who will be eligible for an extension next month.