2024 Top FA Signing

HuskieBear

2024 Top FA Signing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. We only sign 1 "top" FA - which position/player would you want?

• DE - Hunter/Young/Burns/Allen
    • DT - Madubuike/Wilkins/Jones
    • WR - Higgins/Evans/Ridley/Pittman
    • C - Williams/Biadasz
    • RB - Henry/Barkley
    • FS - Stone/Winfield

8 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

Cameron Meredith

Yep. Most of us were pretty excited about his development and then were upset when he wasn't resigned here (mostly because our other options were a head of lettuce and a PB&J sandwich at WR). Glad we didn't.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Also re: Ridley - we drafted and then cut his younger brother in 2 years without him getting much of a look on the field at all. Different front office regime and entirely different coaching staff, but I have to think that matters here considering he’ll have a bunch of options. Forgot about that aspect until now. 

considering he never really played anywhere again, big bro shouldn't really hold that against us - the entire league didn't sign him. we at least drafted him and gave him a signing bonus

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bigbear72 said:

Yep. Most of us were pretty excited about his development and then were upset when he wasn't resigned here (mostly because our other options were a head of lettuce and a PB&J sandwich at WR). Glad we didn't.

I for one was in favor of the lettuce.   The *** here wanted the PB&J sandwich.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It is kind of brilliant that NFL has created an environment where we root for our teams to sign players to cheapest contracts possible.

But think about the billionaires!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CBears019 said:

But think about the billionaires!

Seriously.  NFL owners ask for (and get) not only tax breaks, but subsidies! 

A subsidy is free money!  A gift.   

And we are in favor of it.

LOL

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It is kind of brilliant that NFL has created an environment where we root for our teams to sign players to cheapest contracts possible.

i mean, that's only because of the cap. Look at MLB without their cap, fans are clamoring for owners to spend more and as much money as possible 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HuskieBear said:

i mean, that's only because of the cap. Look at MLB without their cap, fans are clamoring for owners to spend more and as much money as possible 

I know.  It's brilliant.   And the players agree to it every 4 or 5 years or however long the CBA is.

They agree to tags.  Everything the NFL wants really.   

It is not without its advantages.  But still.  It's wild.  

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I know.  It's brilliant.   And the players agree to it every 4 or 5 years or however long the CBA is.

They agree to tags.  Everything the NFL wants really.   

It is not without its advantages.  But still.  It's wild.  

Without the Union in place a lot of the NFL contractual practices would be illegal.   They are anti-competitive.  They would violate various state and federal laws.  

Having the union and the CBA is what makes it legal.  The players are literally asking for it and then complain about it.

Now would the pie be as big without that CBA?  That is the million dollar question.  Probably not I say.   

It would probably not be as popular if low revenue teams truly had no shot at winning titles.   The yearly optimism and rules enabling competitive balance helps fuel interest.  

But who knows really?  Is it more the sport or the system they have created that people like?  Or a combination?  

I think most people don't want to break something that is generally working.  Things can always get worse.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Seriously.  NFL owners ask for (and get) not only tax breaks, but subsidies! 

A subsidy is free money!  A gift.   

And we are in favor of it.

LOL

I really feel like Bears vs municipalities might be a bit of an interesting data point for other wealthy clubs wanting local govt money to do their thing in their town.  Don't know how it's going to turn out, at all. Still think anyplace that isn't AH represents a serious compromise for the Bears that they'll regret with 15 years, but I could also totally see them clamming up and going to ******* Gary IN or something stupid because they don't have to pay for sewer hookups. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

I really feel like Bears vs municipalities might be a bit of an interesting data point for other wealthy clubs wanting local govt money to do their thing in their town.  Don't know how it's going to turn out, at all. Still think anyplace that isn't AH represents a serious compromise for the Bears that they'll regret with 15 years, but I could also totally see them clamming up and going to ******* Gary IN or something stupid because they don't have to pay for sewer hookups. 

I would drive to Gary if it meant a state of the art stadium. I don’t really care where it is so long as it’s reasonably close to Chicago. Gary isn’t any farther away than AH.  

9 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I would drive to Gary if it meant a state of the art stadium. I don’t really care where it is so long as it’s reasonably close to Chicago. Gary isn’t any farther away than AH.  

I have a white hot hatred of most of Indiana, but particularly South Bend and Gary Indiana for... personal reasons.  

I do love the dunes though, as well as turkey run.  Astonishing places.  I also find myself in/on Wolf lake a lot which is that weird lake you see right after you head east off the Skyway bridge. It would be weird to be the Gary Bears.  Gary Bears. Gare Bears.  No. 

28 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’ve gone too far. 😳

Hammond? Sure. Gary? Yikes.

• Like 1

Tampering period starts Monday. My first few calls few I’m Poles:

C Connor Williams - best FA C in this class. If he’s getting a 4-5 year deal but can’t play until October I can live with that with Bates on the roster. Stability for CW long term is the goal and the need, not just for opening day. Connor Williams is a great option for that. We need a real investment at the pivot.

DE AJ Epenesa - Solid 2-way player but pretty efficient in getting to the QB (6.5 sacks each of the past 2 seasons) or getting his hands in passing lanes when he doesn’t (13 combined PD the past 2 seasons), all while getting just 38% and 41% of defensive snaps. 26 years old in September. I see this as a bet on a player on the come, and his old DL coach being our new DC only makes the move make more sense.

WR Curtis Samuel - odd choice maybe for some, but he’s a consistent, versatile, durable secondary WR option. Plenty of inside/outside versatility (look at his slot rep % year to year here). He’s whatever you need him to be, and is those things at a capable professional level. Stats won’t blow you away, but he’s reliable in the role I would expect him to play here, and that reasonable certainty is really important to me. Raises the WR floor behind DJ Moore significantly. He’s also really close with Moore from their days in CAR which might give us a leg up in recruiting him.

If we could land these guys it would both significantly raise big need position group floors and also really open up our draft options IMO. We don’t know the return yet on a Fields trade so if I assume a lower end return (3rd or lower) until I hear otherwise this would give us the flexibility to still take a top 3 WR at 9 if one is there rather than trading down if Poles loves one of those guys while still filling depth/upside needs in rounds 3 and 4 without needing those guys to step in as day 1 starters.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Tampering period starts Monday. My first few calls few I’m Poles:

C Connor Williams - best FA C in this class. If he’s getting a 4-5 year deal but can’t play until October I can live with that with Bates on the roster. Stability for CW long term is the goal and the need, not just for opening day. Connor Williams is a great option for that. We need a real investment at the pivot.

DE AJ Epenesa - Solid 2-way player but pretty efficient in getting to the QB (6.5 sacks each of the past 2 seasons) or getting his hands in passing lanes when he doesn’t (13 combined PD the past 2 seasons), all while getting just 38% and 41% of defensive snaps. 26 years old in September. I see this as a bet on a player on the come, and his old DL coach being our new DC only makes the move make more sense.

WR Curtis Samuel - odd choice maybe for some, but he’s a consistent, versatile, durable secondary WR option. Plenty of inside/outside versatility (look at his slot rep % year to year here). He’s whatever you need him to be, and is those things at a capable professional level. Stats won’t blow you away, but he’s reliable in the role I would expect him to play here, and that reasonable certainty is really important to me. Raises the WR floor behind DJ Moore significantly. He’s also really close with Moore from their days in CAR which might give us a leg up in recruiting him.

If we could land these guys it would both significantly raise big need position group floors and also really open up our draft options IMO. We don’t know the return yet on a Fields trade so if I assume a lower end return (3rd or lower) until I hear otherwise this would give us the flexibility to still take a top 3 WR at 9 if one is there rather than trading down if Poles loves one of those guys while still filling depth/upside needs in rounds 3 and 4 without needing those guys to step in as day 1 starters.

I don’t want Samuel, but I appreciate the reasoning and thought process. Agree with rest.