2024 Top FA Signing

HuskieBear

2024 Top FA Signing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. We only sign 1 "top" FA - which position/player would you want?

• DE - Hunter/Young/Burns/Allen
    • DT - Madubuike/Wilkins/Jones
    • WR - Higgins/Evans/Ridley/Pittman
    • C - Williams/Biadasz
    • RB - Henry/Barkley
    • FS - Stone/Winfield

14 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I hope we don't end up regretting not trading Fields prior to Wilson's release

I think they were hoping to trade him before Wilson’s release… but teams also knew Wilson was getting released too. He’s a very particular fit IMO. He makes sense to a cap-strapped team for 2024 because he can’t actually make more money for the new team unless they pay him more than the $39M he was due from DEN (full offset language), and that ain’t happening. PIT is the tightest team to the cap that needs a QB, but Russ is a limelight guy too - maybe NYG looks in on him if they don’t like the cost to move up in the draft?

Hopefully he doesn’t go to PIT or ATL since those seem to be the two realistic options for a decent return for Fields. 

18 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think they were hoping to trade him before Wilson’s release… but teams also knew Wilson was getting released too. He’s a very particular fit IMO. He makes sense to a cap-strapped team for 2024 because he can’t actually make more money for the new team unless they pay him more than the $39M he was due from DEN (full offset language), and that ain’t happening. PIT is the tightest team to the cap that needs a QB, but Russ is a limelight guy too - maybe NYG looks in on him if they don’t like the cost to move up in the draft?

Hopefully he doesn’t go to PIT or ATL since those seem to be the two realistic options for a decent return for Fields. 

i believe any offsets in salary from this year would be taken off his 2025 dead cap hit

2 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i believe any offsets in salary from this year would be taken off his 2025 dead cap hit

I think they come off this year because his salary this year is fully guaranteed. It’s not in 2025. 

54 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

I hope we don't end up regretting not trading Fields prior to Wilson's release

I'll be honest I don't think Wilson impacts Fields' value all that much...in terms of team building they are at two very different points in their careers from a talent and value point of view...I'm not sure how much cross over there will be in teams truly interested in them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I'll be honest I don't think Wilson impacts Fields' value all that much...in terms of team building they are at two very different points in their careers from a talent and value point of view...I'm not sure how much cross over there will be in teams truly interested in them.

I suspect the teams looking at Wilson will also be drafting a rookie to sit a year. Teams going after Fields are taking a discounted flyer on an otherworldly athlete with massive upside but also a resume suggesting he may never get there.  

Quandre Diggs for the right price could be a nice veteran replacement for Eddie Jackson on a 1 or 2 year deal...still a really young secondary and he has the skills as a true FS to help communicate amongst them all...also shouldn't stop you drafting a FS highly if you really like a guy...

Seattle also released Will Dissley which could interest Shane Waldron. 

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Calvin Ridley trending toward hitting FA intrigues me quite a bit. At minimum, he pushes everyone else down a slot which is good for us. 

Feels like someone is going to overpay for him...good player mind you.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Calvin Ridley trending toward hitting FA intrigues me quite a bit. At minimum, he pushes everyone else down a slot which is good for us. 

Pittman getting tagged ups his value.  The WR FA market is pretty gross looking.  Why I have said we need to consider bringing Mooney back.  

I want to draft all the college WRs I like.  I hope we get Fields traded for at least a 2nd.  Like to draft 2 WRs.   Even 2 WRs and a TE.  

37 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Pittman getting tagged ups his value.  The WR FA market is pretty gross looking.  Why I have said we need to consider bringing Mooney back.  

I want to draft all the college WRs I like.  I hope we get Fields traded for at least a 2nd.  Like to draft 2 WRs.   Even 2 WRs and a TE.  

There’s a lot of WR3s out there, which is ok for us because we need that too. I would like to draft 2 guys and sign 2 guys personally. I do think one of the FAs needs to be at the high end of what is available though - a guy who can fill as a WR2 to start the year if need be, even not ideally so, but also ideally someone with inside/outside versatility. I’ve been targeting Tyler Boyd or Curtis Samuel for that role and still stand by that. I want someone with a legit track record producing as a complementary piece to set a reasonably high floor for the role for 2024, but ultimately someone I hope is a WR3 at most a year from now. We absolutely have the means to pay a premium for that too. FWIW, Curtis Samuel and DJ Moore are apparently close from their days together in CAR.

I don’t oppose the idea of Mooney being back on a prove it deal. If he’s accepting a prove it deal I think he’ll look to target a situation with a more clear role for him though rather than one like ours with a rookie QB and where he can be reasonably sure a high draft pick is going to push him down the depth chart quickly. I think he’ll try to go somewhere like BUF or KC where the QB situation is a known, there are a lot of targets to be had and not a ton of money to spend in FA. KC seems a logical fit for him with Nagy. 

2 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He’s very overhyped IMO. I have a feeling some team will heavily overpay him.

1 hour ago, refundmytickets said:

He’s very overhyped IMO. I have a feeling some team will heavily overpay him.

I don’t think he’s a 1, and someone may pay him as that in FA, but 66 yards/game across his 5 year career with 36 TDs (with at least 7 TD in every season but the one in which he was suspended after 5 games)? His average season is Mooney’s 2021 season with better RZ production. That’s exactly what we are hoping to get opposite Moore, is it not? 

• Like 1