2024 Top FA Signing

HuskieBear

2024 Top FA Signing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. We only sign 1 "top" FA - which position/player would you want?

• DE - Hunter/Young/Burns/Allen
    • DT - Madubuike/Wilkins/Jones
    • WR - Higgins/Evans/Ridley/Pittman
    • C - Williams/Biadasz
    • RB - Henry/Barkley
    • FS - Stone/Winfield

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think he’s a 1, and someone may pay him as that in FA, but 66 yards/game across his 5 year career with 36 TDs (with at least 7 TD in every season but the one in which he was suspended after 5 games)? His average season is Mooney’s 2021 season with better RZ production. That’s exactly what we are hoping to get opposite Moore, is it not? 

He’s always had a really high target share. He won’t get that playing opposite Moore.

Bears need a reliable slot guy who’s cheap and durable and a playmaking outside guy who’s efficient on a per-target basis. Ridley doesn’t really fit into either of those archetypes. And IMO someone will pay him as a borderline WR1.

17 minutes ago, refundmytickets said:

He’s always had a really high target share. He won’t get that playing opposite Moore.

Bears need a reliable slot guy who’s cheap and durable and a playmaking outside guy who’s efficient on a per-target basis. Ridley doesn’t really fit into either of those archetypes. And IMO someone will pay him as a borderline WR1.

What the Bears really need is professional receivers in the complementary roles. They need guys in roles that they can actually succeed in. I think Ridley is actually the latter receiver you mentioned (efficient outside guy).  Ridley’s first 2 years when he was in his proper role as the clear WR2 behind Julio Jones he was actually really efficient:

2018: 64-821-10 on 92 targets (69.6% catch rate)

2019: 63-866-7 on 93 targets (67.7% catch rate)

That’s the role he’d be in here opposite Moore.

This is, of course, almost surely moot since Ridley will likely get #1 money and it’ll almost surely be elsewhere. But I’m sure he can be what we need. 

Also re: Ridley - we drafted and then cut his younger brother in 2 years without him getting much of a look on the field at all. Different front office regime and entirely different coaching staff, but I have to think that matters here considering he’ll have a bunch of options. Forgot about that aspect until now. 

32 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Also re: Ridley - we drafted and then cut his younger brother in 2 years without him getting much of a look on the field at all. Different front office regime and entirely different coaching staff, but I have to think that matters here considering he’ll have a bunch of options. Forgot about that aspect until now. 

All things being equal that would be piss me off some. 

I haven’t given my business to a company that laid me off many years ago. It wasn’t personal, it was a recession and they had a nation wide policy of an employee to new order ratio.  But I still have trouble getting over it.  It still affected me personally.  I worked really hard for them.  Came in on Sats unpaid etc.  

But all things are never equal.  Money talks.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t think he’s a 1, and someone may pay him as that in FA, but 66 yards/game across his 5 year career with 36 TDs (with at least 7 TD in every season but the one in which he was suspended after 5 games)? His average season is Mooney’s 2021 season with better RZ production. That’s exactly what we are hoping to get opposite Moore, is it not? 

Yes it is.

Also there were rumors that Mooney turned down 3 years for 30 million before the season. Whoops. 

Just now, GOGRIESE said:

Yes it is.

Also there were rumors that Mooney turned down 3 years for 30 million before the season. Whoops. 

Sucks for him. I like Mooney but he struggled plenty the past 2 years. Prime example of betting on yourself not working out. How bad does that deal look for Poles if Mooney takes the deal then turns in the same 2023? 

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

All things being equal that would be piss me off some. 

I haven’t given my business to a company that laid me off many years ago. It wasn’t personal, it was a recession and they had a nation wide policy of an employee to new order ratio.  But I still have trouble getting over it.  It still affected me personally.  I worked really hard for them.  Came in on Sats unpaid etc.  

But all things are never equal.  Money talks.  

Agree, but there will be plenty of money elsewhere too for Ridley.

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Sucks for him. I like Mooney but he struggled plenty the past 2 years. Prime example of betting on yourself not working out. How bad does that deal look for Poles if Mooney takes the deal then turns in the same 2023? 

It would look absolutely terrible. I think he's going to be hunting a 1-2 year deal to try and build his value back up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

What sticks out to me most about Poles’ tenure is that he is very talented at using the resource of time to his benefit. 

If by waiting, I have to pay someone like Jaylon Johnson a little more, but I simultaneously avoid paying a bad contract to Mooney, I don’t mind it at all. From where I’m sitting, it seems like Poles’ #1 priority may be that we don’t put ourselves in a situation where we have to watch a top talent walk for financial reasons. It’s smart. The less you have to supplement your drafts with free agents, the better off you will be.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

There might be a level of annoyance but I think he knows Riley just wasn't a quality NFL player. I mean if he was he could have at least caught on a practice squad somewhere you'd think. He didn't get blackballed after CHI cut him, he got workouts with ATL (likely due to Calvin's request) and the Giants and never even got a practice squad spot from either team. So he has direct word from the staff about his brother's workout. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

What sticks out to me most about Poles’ tenure is that he is very talented at using the resource of time to his benefit. 

If by waiting, I have to pay someone like Jaylon Johnson a little more, but I simultaneously avoid paying a bad contract to Mooney, I don’t mind it at all. From where I’m sitting, it seems like Poles’ #1 priority may be that we don’t put ourselves in a situation where we have to watch a top talent walk for financial reasons. It’s smart. The less you have to supplement your drafts with free agents, the better off you will be.

It seems like those two players represent the range of outcomes for letting the players play play out.  Worked out for the team in Mooney's case.  Johnson seems to be the opposite, where he didn't just play above previous expectation, right after he did and the little window to extend him closed, the salary cap increased. Kind of a checking all the boxes in a worst case scenario.  All that said I still think he's worth the seemingly astronomical sum he's goign to get, and in three years it'll make sense unless his shoulders turn into pulled pork. Goes to show that if you keep your books tidy no one freaks out if you have to pay more than expected. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

It seems like those two players represent the range of outcomes for letting the players play play out.  Worked out for the team in Mooney's case.  Johnson seems to be the opposite, where he didn't just play above previous expectation, right after he did and the little window to extend him closed, the salary cap increased. Kind of a checking all the boxes in a worst case scenario.  All that said I still think he's worth the seemingly astronomical sum he's goign to get, and in three years it'll make sense unless his shoulders turn into pulled pork. Goes to show that if you keep your books tidy no one freaks out if you have to pay more than expected. 

IMO nobody should never take issue with a player deciding to bet on themselves and it working out, especially when the team’s response to that is to reward the player accordingly. Same thing happened with Kyle Fuller.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Remember that up and coming receiver we all loved and wanted to sign and Pace didn't.  Then he got hurt and went to New Orleans for a pretty big contract but never played. 

Can't remember his name.  I think he went to Illinois State.  

5 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Remember that up and coming receiver we all loved and wanted to sign and Pace didn't.  Then he got hurt and went to New Orleans for a pretty big contract but never played. 

Can't remember his name.  I think he went to Illinois State.  

Cameron Meredith

• Like 1