2024 IDL Talk

nicfre2011

18 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

Thoughts on T'Vondre Sweat from Texas as an interior defensive line prospect?

It's all going to come down to his ability to rush the passer. If teams expect him to do that, he'll go round 1 or 2. If teams think he's a plugger only, he's a 4th rounder at best. I'm weary of guys his size, but I'm intrigued by him. The Steelers need some heft up front, so I'm interested to see where this discussion goes. 

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

While I didn't see a ton of FSU games, Braden Fiske was very disruptive in the games I watched. I'll need to sit down and scout him to see how he is from snap to snap, but he definitely flashed while casually watching games.

That’s a good one. @MD4L and I were talking about him earlier today

5 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Someone help me sort out these Texas interiors.

The starting two are a great complement to each other. Sweat with his size and strength is a good two gapping NT type but still has some explosion to push the pocket. While Murphy is built like a typical one gap penetrator or under tackle. For NFL comparison sake (not saying they are on that level just the dynamic) it’s Like Vita Vea next to Calijah Kancey.

Teams are getting quicker and more agile on the interior. I know this isn't breaking news, but it's really reared its head this season. 15 years ago, Siaki Ika would have been a top 10 pick. He was excellent in college at his role of stuffing the run and providing a minor ability to rush. He doesn't see the field for the Browns & was a 3rd rounder.

We are seeing very flawed players with athletic gifts being played over the traditional run fitters. As a defensive coach, I can't stomach to watch those types of disruptors that play with zero technique, but it's what the NFL model is going to nowadays. It's exactly why YPC in the NFL is so high over the last 2 years.

He's very frustrating to watch in the same way that a young Sheldon Richardson was, but I would expect Leonard Taylor to be a very high pick...even possibly a shock top 10 pick. He has the best pure tools of any of the interiors in the class. He's twitchier than even Jer'Zhan Newton. That said, Newton, and several other interiors, are better players. Taylor is a wild horse...which seems to be more valuable than dudes that play with violent shock & shed technique. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Teams are getting quicker and more agile on the interior. I know this isn't breaking news, but it's really reared its head this season. 15 years ago, Siaki Ika would have been a top 10 pick. He was excellent in college at his role of stuffing the run and providing a minor ability to rush. He doesn't see the field for the Browns & was a 3rd rounder.

We are seeing very flawed players with athletic gifts being played over the traditional run fitters. As a defensive coach, I can't stomach to watch those types of disruptors that play with zero technique, but it's what the NFL model is going to nowadays. It's exactly why YPC in the NFL is so high over the last 2 years.

He's very frustrating to watch in the same way that a young Sheldon Richardson was, but I would expect Leonard Taylor to be a very high pick...even possibly a shock top 10 pick. He has the best pure tools of any of the interiors in the class. He's twitchier than even Jer'Zhan Newton. That said, Newton, and several other interiors, are better players. Taylor is a wild horse...which seems to be more valuable than dudes that play with violent shock & shed technique. 

Interesting points. Based on that, what is your take on a prospect like T'Vondre Sweat? For the Chiefs, we will likely need to address IDL this offseason as Nnadi is a replacement level FA and I am not sure I see the Chiefs signing Jones to a long term deal. I see Sweat as projecting more as a replacement for Nnadi.

He probably won't declare since he missed half the season with injury, but LSU's Mekhi Wingo was one of the most impressive interior players I watched this season.

Not huge, and he didn't put up too great a stat line, but he made a lot of plays in every game of his I watched.  And he had stretches of dominance.  If he declares, he'll be the steal of the class at the position.

Jer'Zhan Newton is an obvious top player at the position in this class, but give me Byron Murphy over Sweat 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.  Braden Fiske gave me Bresee vibes when I was able to watch him.  Has all the tools, great size, speed, and mobility, but isn't a huge playmaker when I watched him.  But it looks like he got a lot more splash plays down the stretch, so I need to rewatch him.  Jaden Crumedy out of Mississippi State is another guy I liked the film of.  Got that good 3-4 DE build.

Tyler Davis was my top IDL going into the season, but he did like nothing in the little I was able to watch of Clemson this year.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's Newton.  And then everyone else.  And it's not a very good IDL class at all.

Terrible DL class in general. Brandon Dorlus has a lot of tools and very good tape. He is the one other interior DL that I think is gonna be a stud.

And the DE class doesn’t even really have a dude that can convert in to a DT on passing downs. Brutal if you need a DT…& a lot of teams do. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/22/2023 at 6:49 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Terrible DL class in general. Brandon Dorlus has a lot of tools and very good tape. He is the one other interior DL that I think is gonna be a stud.

And the DE class doesn’t even really have a dude that can convert in to a DT on passing downs. Brutal if you need a DT…& a lot of teams do. 

Thoughts on Byron Murphy from Texas?