2024 IDL Talk

nicfre2011

For the Chiefs: With Derrick Nnadi on an expiring 1 year deal and Chris Jones likely departing this offseason, I would love to somehow get both Murphy and Sweat. Not going to happen as we have too many other needs (like WR that could be worth double dipping on).

More realistic would probably be adding Murphy in round 2 (might end up going much higher than our round 2 ends up) and a run-stuffing space eater in round 4 or 5.

Edited by nicfre2011

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

We've started discussing him for the niners

Murphy is good and all but the real star on Texas this past year was T'Vondre Sweat.  He took his game to another level and was super impressive with how he uses his hands and got up and deflected passes and his burst as a dude what 360 pounds is impressive.  Murphy greatly benefited from the attention Sweat got.  He could easily be the 2nd DT taken behind Newton. 

Sweat last year was maybe a late round pick but did flash a little and this year he flashed a lot.   

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Murphy is good and all but the real star on Texas this past year was T'Vondre Sweat.  He took his game to another level and was super impressive with how he uses his hands and got up and deflected passes and his burst as a dude what 360 pounds is impressive.  Murphy greatly benefited from the attention Sweat got.  He could easily be the 2nd DT taken behind Newton. 

Sweat last year was maybe a late round pick but did flash a little and this year he flashed a lot.   

Guys like Sweat have to be super freaks to go high. Vita Vea and Jordan Davis are the only behemoth DT's that have gone early in a long time. At least that I remember. 

• Like 2

I can't imagine Sweat lasting past the Bengals pick in rd 2 if he doesn't go before then.  DJ Reader has meant so much to our front, but he's playing less and less snaps as he gets older and when he's out it is a massive difference.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

19.6% pass rush win rate is crazy for Murphy. 

I was more surprised by how high Murphy was on that run list.  We all knew he was an outstanding interior pass rusher.

I'd bet heavily that he'll be the first of the Texas DLs off the board.  Pass rushing is more valuable than run stuffing, and while both are high on both lists, I think they definitely benefit from playing next to each other.

I guess I also need to go watch Kris Jenkins more.  I always saw Mason Graham as the class of that front, so I didn't pay as much attention to Jenkins.

I know I've needed to check out Leonard Taylor for some time too.

This class is looking a lot less weak than it did a couple months ago IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

What's your take on Jenkins? That's a good number. I know he's mostly been a run stuffer at Michigan, and a good one at that, but does he have the juice to rush the passer in the league? 

Haven’t watched enough of him to be honest! 

• Like 1