2024 IDL Talk

nicfre2011

2 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I posted and then realized it was just too much wisdom for this board. Sorry, y'all, I will not be able to divulge the name of the under-the-radar Pro Bowl IDL in this class.

• Like 1

I think Murphy, Sweat, and Wingo are pretty close to Newton honestly.

Sweat is a big powerful nose. I think he’s gonna be like a bigger Teair Tart: can stuff the middle and will collapse pockets against bad interiors, but won’t offer a ton as a pass rusher. More than some give credit for for sure, but he’s a true nose.

Murphy is your classic three technique, super athletic, great interior pass rusher. Both benefited from the other being next to them though for sure. Sweat can do his thing when Murphy is blowing up backfields, and Murphy can dominate when Sweat is taking on doubles.

Wingo, superficially, is a similar player to Newton. He’s a little too small, but he offers a lot as a pass rusher and a run defender. He just makes plays. Smaller, less powerful Jurrell Casey. I am just not sure he can do it every down. He missed a chunk of the season with an injury so there’s less tape. Great first step, good ability to shed with swims or rips, but may have to rotate in, which would drop his stock.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Sweat is a big powerful nose. I think he’s gonna be like a bigger Teair Tart: can stuff the middle and will collapse pockets against bad interiors, but won’t offer a ton as a pass rusher. More than some give credit for for sure, but he’s a true nose.

Depending how he tests could be the next Jordan Davis. 

18 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Both Texas interior guys are underrated currently. 

I would say Murphy is underrated.  Sweat is overrated by draftniks as his position is undervalued by most of the NFL.  Because you watched Wilfork and I watched Hampton we have a fond view of the big NT.  The NFL, for the most part, does not care/value them.  Unless Sweat blows up the combine with Jorden Davis numbers, I expect him to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.  Would I like him on the Steelers?  Sure but would I spend a 2nd round pick on a 2 down DL? Nope.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Both Texas interior guys are underrated currently. 

Do you think either one is ahead of Newton?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy as the first IDL taken when all is said and done.

On 1/16/2024 at 9:51 PM, LinderFournette said:

Depending how he tests could be the next Jordan Davis. 

Sweat doesn't have the tape that Davis had.

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Do you think either one is ahead of Newton?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Murphy as the first IDL taken when all is said and done.

Yeah agreed, Murphy is the guy Newton was talked up to being at the start of the session. He’s likely to come with size concerns, but he’s consistently disruptive on tape. Sweat is just immovable, for whatever that means these days. I suspect a lot to teams who kept getting hammered up front. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah agreed, Murphy is the guy Newton was talked up to being at the start of the session. He’s likely to come with size concerns, but he’s consistently disruptive on tape. Sweat is just immovable, for whatever that means these days. I suspect a lot to teams who kept getting hammered up front. 

Newton was great this year. 

On 1/18/2024 at 8:16 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

Newton was great this year. 

He’s a good player but draftniks having him a whole round higher than Murphy is insane. I think he’ll eventually be DT1. He’s rare twitch inside.

https://twitter.com/imbearingdown/status/1747118816289571250?s=46&t=dIaK1rNjhPYCBeF7yG3lMg

https://twitter.com/dandgriffis/status/1733571349979779570?s=46&t=dIaK1rNjhPYCBeF7yG3lMg

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 10:53 PM, goldfishwars said:

He’s a good player but draftniks having him a whole round higher than Murphy is insane. I think he’ll eventually be DT1. He’s rare twitch inside.

https://x.com/imbearingdown/status/1747118816289571250?s=46&t=dIaK1rNjhPYCBeF7yG3lMg

https://x.com/dandgriffis/status/1733571349979779570?s=46&t=dIaK1rNjhPYCBeF7yG3lMg

Just went 11th in Jeremiah’s mock, get on the train! 
https://x.com/russnfldraft/status/1748159338643087507?s=46&t=dIaK1rNjhPYCBeF7yG3lMg