SNF: Ravens vs Jaguars

Blackstar12

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

As a Lamar stan, I'm over the MVP thing. It gets way too much air time.

There's a lot more important things at stake for 49ers-Ravens. 

Even if the Ravens lose to the 49ers, they control their destiny if the beat the Dolphins and Steelers (both in Balt).

So its not actually that important for the Ravens. Win or lose, we have to beat the Dolphins in 2 weeks.  

16 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Supporting cast does not matter for MVP. If you want to vote with that in mind, you’d have to change A LOT of MVP Awards in the past.

This is incorrect.

Emmanuel Acho is a MVP voter and has already stated that his vote would only go to Purdy in a situation where Purdy balls out for the rest of the season with essentially 12 TDs to 0 INTs for him to be #1 on his ballot.

He said he’d have him on his ballot however.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is incorrect.

Emmanuel Acho is a MVP voter and has already stated that his vote would only go to Purdy in a situation where Purdy balls out for the rest of the season with essentially 12 TDs to 0 INTs for him to be #1 on his ballot.

I now have the strong urge to say Purdy is my MVP because I will not under any circumstances agree with Emmanuel Acho on anything.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Even if the Ravens lose to the 49ers, they control their destiny if the beat the Dolphins and Steelers (both in Balt).

So its not actually that important for the Ravens. Win or lose, we have to beat the Dolphins in 2 weeks.  

It’s indeed important. If we win against San Fran and lose against the Dolphins, then we would still get the #1 seed if we beat the Steelers in week 18.

The Dolphins are a great football team, so we can’t overlook what they’re capable of and assume a victory.

2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

This is incorrect.

Out of all the people who could have a vote...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, diamondbull424 said:

It’s indeed important. If we win against San Fran and lose against the Dolphins, then we would still get the #1 seed if we beat the Steelers in week 18.

The Dolphins are a great football team, so we can’t overlook what they’re capable of and assume a victory.

Not sure about that. If Dolphins win out and we win 2 of 3, we'd both be 13-4 and the Dolphins would have H2H tiebrake. 

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The Dolphins other 2 games are against the Cowboys and Bills. The Ravens could slip up (again) against the Steelers. Not unlikely at all that there's seeding on both side swung by the game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

The Dolphins other 2 games are against the Cowboys and Bills. The Ravens could slip up (again) against the Steelers. Not unlikely at all that there's seeding on both side swung by the game.

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

True but is Dolphins going 2-0 vs Bills and Cowboys >50% likely? I'd say no.

Fair enough, I'm just saying the Ravens could lose vs the 49ers and still control their destiny to get the 1 seed. So it's not a do or die game, but it'd be nice to steal. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jameson_Neat said:

Didn't they move to ranked choice voting? I think this greatly benefits a guy like Purdy. First place votes are divided among the big names and he cleans up the 2nd place votes

I keep going back and forth on this. There's a part of me that gets what people are saying about the second place votes, but I also think there's going to be quite a few voters who just don't have him on the ballot

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I keep going back and forth on this. There's a part of me that gets what people are saying about the second place votes, but I also think there's going to be quite a few voters who just don't have him on the ballot

There always are a handful of big brains in every vote. King casting his vote for Carnell Lake is why Brett Favre and Barry Sanders were co-MVPs back in the day. 

• Like 1

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I now have the strong urge to say Purdy is my MVP because I will not under any circumstances agree with Emmanuel Acho on anything.

Personally I think Josh Allen should get the MVP award as long as the Bills make the playoffs. Considering the dysfunction, considering his known greatness, his only solid weapons, and that he’s got the stats to justify the argument.

If they take away the AFC East from Miami, which is a real possibility, then he absolutely should get the award.

That said I think the other route to go with this MVP award would be to go the route of co-MVP. If Allen doesn’t win it, perhaps the media could collude and give it to both Lamar Jackson and Tyreek Hill/Brock Purdy, for example.

Personally I think the parameters needed for Lamar to win the MVP are:
1) He hits the 1,000 yd rushing mark.
- It’s the benchmark of “historic” for rushing QBs. And Lamar will need a historic talking point for his case.
2) He needs to hit at least 3750 passing yds. Arbitrary number for sure but he’s got to be passing for at least an average of 220 yds/game considering what everyone else has shown.
3) He needs to hit an absolute minimum of 30 total TDs on the season.
- Currently he’s at only 22 total TDs and while a lot of the scores have been cultured by Gus Edwards, that type of context is irrelevant if the argument isn’t at least compelling enough.

4) Lastly, Ravens need to win out.
- If the Ravens close out beating three other MVP candidates in Brock Purdy plus both Tua and Tyreek then as long as he hits the above numbers, he will also be on the team with the best record in the NFL and it’d be a situation where voters could swing the “best player on the best team” argument as their reason for giving it to him.