SNF: Ravens vs Jaguars

Blackstar12

Just now, Tugboat said:

Well that was an annoying game.

Ravens were lucky to not be down heading into the half.  Then Lawrence somehow forgot how to pass for a while.  That's ballgame.  Was closer than it looked on the scoreboard at the end.

That was a very bad showing in primetime for Lawrence. 2 horrible turnovers, lots of really bad throws. Just not good.

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The case for Lamar for MVP is so hard beacuse you cannot just be lazy with it and point to his stats at all. You have to make an informed, detailed argument about his value to the team, how his play goes beyond the stats, etc..

And with other guys like Dak or Purdy you just go "touchdowns" or generic stats and it's easy.

With Dak having the game he had today, I do think Lamar should be #1 though. Tua is probably at a VERY close #2 but that game today from him was impressive.

The problem is, if we're going to a deeper argument about value that goes beyond quantifiable numbers and such, that just brings us back to like, Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes right? Conventional historical precedent would go to Purdy at this point, IMO. If we're going for a hey, let's look beyond just what happened, and let's look at supporting cast and value added to the team, if anything that makes Lamar just a weird in between. Because I don't think there's an argument that Lamar's supporting cast has been more of a struggle than Mahomes's. Or that he's carried the team harder than Josh Allen. And I don't think they should be MVP based on how the award has historically been handed out either. But Lamar feels like a weird in between where it's like he's not as good of an MVP candidate on paper as Purdy, but he's a better paper candidate than Mahomes or Allen or Hurts or somebody like that, but his supporting cast is still not quite as great as Purdy or Dak. He's a weird in between of the arguments, to me.

EDIT: I mean, it's all just going to come down to Balt versus San Fran anyways, whether that's right or not. But still.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, I just don't know about Purdy. That team is so loaded I just truly believe he and Tua could be 2A and 2B, but Tua's game today against a great pass defense with no Tyreek is better than anything I've seen from Purdy without CMC.

And the Dolphins are not loaded? Lol. Tua also was coming off subpar performance the week before and hasn't had the best of performances against winning teams. Has a great spot next week against the Cowboys. 

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

That was a very bad showing in primetime for Lawrence. 2 horrible turnovers, lots of really bad throws. Just not good.

It's hilarious that the two real primetime showings he's had are...1)he gets injured.  2)today's subpar outing where he just didn't look right at all in the second half.  And the one turnover especially was just slapstick bad.

He's much better than this.  Or at least, he can be.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Speaking of Lamar's case for MVP with stats...

Meh, rushing yards don't count more or less than pass yards imo.

He's 6th in total yards on the season (I believe), which is great but this just seems like a niche stat

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The case for Lamar for MVP is so hard beacuse you cannot just be lazy with it and point to his stats at all. You have to make an informed, detailed argument about his value to the team, how his play goes beyond the stats, etc..

And with other guys like Dak or Purdy you just go "touchdowns" or generic stats and it's easy.

With Dak having the game he had today, I do think Lamar should be #1 though. Tua is probably at a VERY close #2 but that game today from him was impressive.

God you’re a homer. Purdy is #1. And if he was a 1st Round Pick, there’d be zero argument. 

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He definitely had a bad end to the game but even though the points didn't show it, I thought he was having a solid/good game. Lawrence can do stuff at times that makes him look elite but those fumbles are so ridiculous at this point. Kind of hard to judge him at this point tbh. 

1 minute ago, Blackstar12 said:

Why was the NBC crew so obsessed with that TD call like it was a difference in this game lol.

Yeah.  The bigger difference was all the points left on the board in the first half.  And just...a lot of really bad play in the second half.  But i guess they felt like they had to pick...something to go on about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

God you’re a homer. Purdy is #1. And if he was a 1st Round Pick, there’d be zero argument. 

Purdy not being a 1st round pick has zero to do with why I don't think he's the MVP. It has everything to do with how loaded of a team he plays on and the season CMC is having.

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

The problem is, if we're going to a deeper argument about value that goes beyond quantifiable numbers and such, that just brings us back to like, Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes right? Conventional historical precedent would go to Purdy at this point, IMO. If we're going for a hey, let's look beyond just what happened, and let's look at supporting cast and value added to the team, if anything that makes Lamar just a weird in between. Because I don't think there's an argument that Lamar's supporting cast has been more of a struggle than Mahomes's. Or that he's carried the team harder than Josh Allen. And I don't think they should be MVP based on how the award has historically been handed out either. But Lamar feels like a weird in between where it's like he's not as good of an MVP candidate on paper as Purdy, but he's a better paper candidate than Mahomes or Allen or Hurts or somebody like that, but his supporting cast is still not quite as great as Purdy or Dak. He's a weird in between of the arguments, to me.

EDIT: I mean, it's all just going to come down to Balt versus San Fran anyways, whether that's right or not. But still.

Absolutely. I said this in the MVP thread, but it'll be decided on Christmas when BAL plays SF. Winner of that game gets the MVP I would all but guarantee it.