Who is cementing their HOF status this year?

General Tso

26 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned TJ Watt (unless I missed it). This year he's at 16 sacks and approaching 100 sacks on his career along with 26 forced fumbles. He's been a beast and underrated since everyone only talks about Garrett, the Bosa brothers and Parsons. 

He's in the first post :)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

I never saw Mike Evans as a HOF WR. Zero (0) All-Pros testifies to the fact that he never had a dominant peak, but has been good/very good on a consistent basis. 

If anything it should be the opposite IMO, which is why I believe he will get in eventually. NFL is littered with WR's having a phenomenal season or two getting All Pro even but disappear like a thief in the night for the most of the rest of their careers.

Just because Evans wasn't awarded All Pro status in some of those years doesn't negate the fact there is only 1 other WR in NFL history to accomplish what he has.

10 straight seasons of 1,000 yards plus. Is it his fault in 2018 with Jameis Flippin Winston at QB on a 5-11 team  his 1,524 and 8TD wasn't enough for AP because Julio, DHop and M. Thomas went bat 💩 crazy that season as well on better teams?

Let alone if he plays another 1-2 years, puts up 12-13K and 100 TD's

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

That's a lot of ifs and buts.

I agree that voted on accolades always deserve context (I go over this every time I run out of patience and jump into an MJ-LeBron debate), but do you honestly think the Hall of Fame committee takes the time to breakdown every applicant's resume to this amount of detail?

Definitely not. And I want to keep reiterating that I do NOT think Stafford is there.

But do I think they SHOULD take the time to break it down into that detail? For sure. Stafford is only one example, I think Brees is a more extreme one because I do think he's a top five all time QB (which I know may not be popular) and I think he would have a ton more accolades if he didn't play alongside Manning/Rodgers/Brady. I'm sure Brees will be a first ballot guy regardless, but he should have more accolades than he does.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If anything it should be the opposite IMO, which is why I believe he will get in eventually. NFL is littered with WR's having a phenomenal season or two getting All Pro even but disappear like a thief in the night for the most of the rest of their careers.

Just because Evans wasn't awarded All Pro status in some of those years doesn't negate the fact there is only 1 other WR in NFL history to accomplish what he has.

10 straight seasons of 1,000 yards plus. Is it his fault in 2018 with Jameis Flippin Winston at QB on a 5-11 team  his 1,524 and 8TD wasn't enough for AP because Julio, DHop and M. Thomas went bat 💩 crazy that season as well on better teams?

Let alone if he plays another 1-2 years, puts up 12-13K and 100 TD's

In 2018, Winston and Fitzpatrick on the Bucs threw for a total of 5300 yards and 36 TDs, so I don't think Evans' raw totals are that spectacular. 

If Evans goes strong for another 4-5 years then yes I think he could be HOF worthy. But either you have a great peak or were very good for a long time, or some combo of those. I don't think Evans has the peak but if he keeps going at his pace it would be hard to keep him out.  

To those who think Mike Evans belongs in the hall, I have one question. Had he had 5 fewer receiving yards in 2017 (he ended at 1001 yards) would he still be a hall of famer, to you? He would then have a run of 3 1k season to start his career, and a run of 6 1k seasons currently.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 11:36 AM, General Tso said:

Tyreek Hill - If he just retired after 2022, he'd probably be in the HOF. But he's most likely the OPOY this year and some are even arguing MVP and we see how he elevates an offense.

Tyreek Hill: 695 receptions, 9,882 yards, 75 TD | 7x Pro Bowler / 4x All-Pro

Davante Adams: 853 receptions, 10,605 yards, 93 TD | 6x Pro Bowler / 3x All-Pro

Tyreek is definitely a HOFer but Adams isn't even mentioned? Adams probably won't get it this year due to terrible QB play but he'll eventually become one of only like 12 players in NFL history with 100+ receiving TD.

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

This just says to me that Rod Smith probably should be in the HOF discussion.

The number of WRs that then puts in the conversation is pretty substantial, though. The kind of numbers who you quoted posted (9 seasons, ~10k yards, couple pro-bowls, ~60 TDs) gives you Mike Evans and Rod Smith, but also throws in Brandon Marshall, Jimmy Smith, Anquan Boldin, Chad Johnson, A.J. Green, etc. Diggs is already at those marks if he averages 50 yards per game the rest of the season. A host of other guys ranging from Keyshawn Johnson to DeSean Jackson to Roddy White to Amari Cooper get damn close. A #1 WR averaging 1100 yards and 7 TDs per season is just a bit too routine nowadays. Half the league has a guy hit those marks, and then it just comes down to who gets lucky enough injury wise to keep doing. Like, D.K. Metcalf is tracking for that. Terry McLaurin. A.J. Brown. The cutoff has to come somewhere.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Tyreek Hill: 695 receptions, 9,882 yards, 75 TD | 7x Pro Bowler / 4x All-Pro

Davante Adams: 853 receptions, 10,605 yards, 93 TD | 6x Pro Bowler / 3x All-Pro

Tyreek is definitely a HOFer but Adams isn't even mentioned? Adams probably won't get it this year due to terrible QB play but he'll eventually become one of only like 12 players in NFL history with 100+ receiving TD.

I considered Davante, but WR is just very selective and Tyreek has more accolades in less seasons than Davante. Also he has that "wow" factor that people will remember.

Again, maybe Davante gets it with longevity, but not if he retired after 2022.

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

I considered Davante, but WR is just very selective and Tyreek has more accolades in less seasons than Davante. Also he has that "wow" factor that people will remember.

Again, maybe Davante gets it with longevity, but not if he retired after 2022.

There are 10 players in NFL history with 100+ receiving TD, 8 are currently in the HOF with the only two exceptions being Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Gates who will both be in the HOF. Hell there are only 5 more players with 90+ TD and 2 of them are in the HOF with the only exceptions being Adams, Evans, and Gronk. He is 100% making it into the HOF, especially when he gets to 100 receiving TD.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

There are 10 players in NFL history with 100+ receiving TD, 8 are currently in the HOF with the only two exceptions being Larry Fitzgerald and Antonio Gates who will both be in the HOF. Hell there are only 5 more players with 90+ TD and 2 of them are in the HOF with the only exceptions being Adams, Evans, and Gronk. He is 100% making it into the HOF, especially when he gets to 100 receiving TD.

Those guys that aren't in the HOF are only not in because they're not eligible for it yet (within 5 years of their retirement/still active). Literally every name you gave will end up in there.

Just now, scar988 said:

Those guys that aren't in the HOF are only not in because they're not eligible for it yet (within 5 years of their retirement/still active). Literally every name you gave will end up in there.

I know which is why I'm 100% positive Adams will eventually be in the HOF, unless he's going to be the only player in NFL history to score 100+ TD and not make it. The only two active players that are going to hit that benchmark are Adams/Evans, Tyreek has an outside chance of hitting it but that's it.

4 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

To those who think Mike Evans belongs in the hall, I have one question. Had he had 5 fewer receiving yards in 2017 (he ended at 1001 yards) would he still be a hall of famer, to you? He would then have a run of 3 1k season to start his career, and a run of 6 1k seasons currently.

Yes because he's going to be one of 12 players in NFL history with 100+ receiving TD along with Davante Adams and every other player to hit that benchmark is in the HOF.

• Like 1