QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

18 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Rattler would be bad as an early pick, but idk why people so against it in the mid to later rounds. You are drafting for potential at that point, most of those guys are not starters. Sounds like people just want to hate and ignore why Rattler didn't throw for 50 tds in his season season. You draft for potential in the mid to late rounds. That's how you end up with steals. I wouldn't be mad with Joe Milton on day 3 for that same reason. He has a good chance to flop, but it's not a high pick. Good Risk/Reward 

This times 1000. The same goes for Jordan Travis. My take is if somehow Aiden O'Connell takes this huge leap from year one to year to then it's not a big deal because these guys weren't drafted high. But say we get like Bo Nix and he beats bow nix out. Then we just wasted a draft pick in a year where we could've really bolstered the trenches. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Rattler had the absolutely worst O-line I’ve seen from a QB NFL prospect in awhile. Almost every play he’s under pressure 

Or maybe it was a defensive game plan. Similar to caleb when Norte dame finally got smart. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I’d rather take my chances late with Travis. Ratt sometimes runs into sacks he doesn’t flow in the pocket well. 1v1 in a phone booth 9-10 times he’s not gonna make a guy miss. Kinda like aoc in that area.

I'm good with either

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We really went from we have to get a franchise QB to Minshew is a guy and AOC deserves a chance to start. 

Raiders should change their slogan to commitment to mediocrity. 

For real. 

The issue with Minshew and AOC both is that neither is going to consistently wow. They may have a game or 2 a season that makes you wonder, but that's it. 

Next thing you know, we're stuck with a pick between 11 and 20 again next season and out of reach of the better QB prospects unless we give up a ton, and our key guys are another year older. 

I'm ok rolling with Minshew or AOC if the plan is they're undoubtedly the guy come hell or high water for the next 5 seasons, because they're too good to accidently tank with. 

And if that were indeed the plan, fire everyone and try again because that's insanity. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

For real. 

The issue with Minshew and AOC both is that neither is going to consistently wow. They may have a game or 2 a season that makes you wonder, but that's it. 

Next thing you know, we're stuck with a pick between 11 and 20 again next season and out of reach of the better QB prospects unless we give up a ton, and our key guys are another year older. 

I'm ok rolling with Minshew or AOC if the plan is they're undoubtedly the guy come hell or high water for the next 5 seasons, because they're too good to accidently tank with. 

And if that were indeed the plan, fire everyone and try again because that's insanity. 

The thing for me is how can you not be aggressive in a deep QB class but then plan to be aggressive next year in a significantly worse class when you’re probably winning 5-8 games.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The thing for me is how can you not be aggressive in a deep QB class but then plan to be aggressive next year in a significantly worse class when you’re probably winning 5-8 games.

Same. Kicking the can down the road doesn't accomplish anything. You waste another prime year of your core group. If you have no intention on getting better at QB this season, you might as well trade Adams to the Jets because he serves no purpose in your offense at his age.

As it stands, the Raiders will be right back here in 2025, a .500 team with a good defense needing a QB but out of range of the top picks.

At some point, you have to take the shot and trade up for a QB if you are serious with this group of players. Otherwise, you might as well blow it up and rebuild and take a losing season to get in the top picks.  

Why wait to take the shot in 2025? To build up the roster to do what exactly? Be a .500 team out of range for a QB next year.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

And

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Same. Kicking the can down the road doesn't accomplish anything. You waste another prime year of your core group. If you have no intention on getting better at QB this season, you might as well trade Adams to the Jets because he serves no purpose in your offense at his age.

As it stands, the Raiders will be right back here in 2025, a .500 team with a good defense needing a QB but out of range of the top picks.

At some point, you have to take the shot and trade up for a QB if you are serious with this group of players. Otherwise, you might as well blow it up and rebuild and take a losing season to get in the top picks.  

Why wait to take the shot in 2025? To build up the roster to do what exactly? Be a .500 team out of range for a QB next year.

Exactly. 

Personally, I don't want to give up what it'll take to move way up. I'd rather try and move up slightly for McCarthy, Daniels, Nix, Penix (whoever your choice may be). Ideally, I hold pat at 13 and take who comes to me. Even more ideally, I trade down and take a guy later, but we all know that's risky as hell right now. 

The QB class seems to be a bunch of 1st round guys and a guy who is probably 1st round material being dinged for age and injury history. After those, there is a significant drop off. We don't have any legitimate 2nd round QBs (Penix or Nix might fall into round 2 but we don't need to bank on it). 

There are several things we could do to obtain a QBOTF, some with a bit more risk than others. What we cannot do is punt on it. 

Simple truths:

We need to come out of the draft with a QB one way or another. 

Even if taking, say, Penix at 13 seems a bit high for him, we're talking QB, not RG.

A QB is either going to pan out and make us happy or he isn’t. 

Whoever we would take from the big 6 at 44, we should be fine with taking at 13 to make sure we secure him, if we stick to 13 and 44. 

In terms of the most likely candidate in that case, is 13 really a reach for Penix? Not if he pans out. Penix at 13 >>>> drafting another day 3 QB and hoping to strike gold. 

Penix at 13, even if a reach, is far less a reach than Rattler, Pratt, whoever at 44.

QB is our #1 need. So we maybe "reach". If it works, nobody will care about it. If it doesn't, we're no worse off. But 50/50 is way better than a 0% chance. 

If we punt on it, we're going to be stuck and whatever cost we then have to incur will simply magnify. It's the only approach I am 100% against other than trading multiple 1sts for Williams. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Our lack of urgency in free agency has made next year look meh. I mean if you told us a few months ago we’d:

Hire Tom Telesco

Retain AP

Hire Luke Getsy

Sign Gardner Minshew to start

Who would’ve been pumped on that? 

All of this. Need to risk everything for the QB. If not, we can suck for two years and then repeat it. I can find fulfillment and purpose in that cycle.

I can't find purpose in living with recycled and late round QBs while trying to build up a squad in an endless cycle. I've already lived that with this team and have PTSD. 

• Like 6

If we don’t aggressively target one of the top six QBs this whole staff and front office needs to be fired immediately. There is absolutely no excuse for going into next season with AOC, Minshew, and a trash prospect like Rattler battling it out. 

• Like 2

I'll add to this and say CB and OL depth in this draft is pretty solid, so yes, gimme one of the 6 and move on. Draft the other positions later, plus the same philosophy can apply, if a good talent is there in the 2nd. Move up and get em.

The same people crying about QB moves now would be the same people crying in 2025  we don’t have 1st round or 2nd round picks  because we traded up for a QB who couldn’t be out AOC.

My advice is let the process play out. You don’t have to panic and make a bad deal. 

Edited by bucksavage1

20 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

The same people crying about QB moves now would be the same people crying in 2025  we don’t have 1st round or 2nd round picks  because we traded up for a QB who couldn’t be out AOC.

My advice is let the process play out. You don’t have to panic and make a bad deal. 

Lmao the same people not worrying about QB moves right now are going to be the ones next season crying about having an anorexic offense and begging to make any excuse for AP they can while we stay in the middle of the pack and see no progress. 

• Like 2