Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lol I guess we should draft a guard too and we’ll be just about guaranteed to be 9-7 according this.

This stat eliminates or ignores any and all other potential variable and has an absurdly small sample size.

Well considering we don’t need a guard we shouldn’t go drafting one. We have a great OL with JT in the lineup. We have playmakers in Coleman and Gordon and Njuko when he comes along. Dukes a great asset but he’s not a feature back. The two biggest holes we have is an RB1 and a QB. Drafting Barkely eliminates one of those needs and drafting Darnold or Rosen eliminates the other. Our defense needs some tweaking but next year we get Collins, Ogbah, and the unknown in Howard wilson back. I’d say our defense is good enough to get us middle of the pack. The only reason its not higher ranked is because we get worn down from being on the field 24/7. And Kizer putting them in god awful positions. Simply adding McCarron and Barkey would get us to middle of the pack. Simply adding Barkely nets us 4-5 wins. If we Have a QB sit for a year by the 2019 comes around we can start talking about playoffs. Hopefully with a different coach. Barkely is a premier blue chip talent. You can’t deny that unless your still caught up on the trich thing then your blind in not seeing the difference. Barkley can do it all Rather it’s at RB or WR he can catch too. He’s a Levon bell type of back we’re he can do it all. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

than you add in the Huebris factor who would hate to be outshined by a runningback cause he is "THE" QB whisper, Barkley now nets us 0 wins!!! If the Browns win, its going to be because of Huebris forcing the pass down everyone's throat!

Hue should have been fired already 

2 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Teams that draft RBs in the Top are typically already built and the team drafting is able to add a star RB plug and play because the rest of the team is already very solid and that does equate to success. I am against Barkley at 4 for us because we have so much more building to do we simply don't have the luxury. If we had 4-5 other impact players already on the team then I would have no problem taking Barkley at 4.

Each and every team has to look at each and ever pick different. It is one reason why draft boards are so different from team to team.

We’re built well we just have **** coach. We need playmakers 

QB,RB,WR,and CB are our biggest needs. 

3 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Well considering we don’t need a guard we shouldn’t go drafting one. We have a great OL with JT in the lineup. We have playmakers in Coleman and Gordon and Njuko when he comes along. Dukes a great asset but he’s not a feature back. The two biggest holes we have is an RB1 and a QB. Drafting Barkely eliminates one of those needs and drafting Darnold or Rosen eliminates the other. Our defense needs some tweaking but next year we get Collins, Ogbah, and the unknown in Howard wilson back. I’d say our defense is good enough to get us middle of the pack. The only reason its not higher ranked is because we get worn down from being on the field 24/7. And Kizer putting them in god awful positions. Simply adding McCarron and Barkey would get us to middle of the pack. Simply adding Barkely nets us 4-5 wins. If we Have a QB sit for a year by the 2019 comes around we can start talking about playoffs. Hopefully with a different coach. Barkely is a premier blue chip talent. You can’t deny that unless your still caught up on the trich thing then your blind in not seeing the difference. Barkley can do it all Rather it’s at RB or WR he can catch too. He’s a Levon bell type of back we’re he can do it all. 

I strongly believe just adding a overall playmaker like Barkley really improves the team. I would believe that Dorsey will do more than just add Barkley. Browns should add at least 3 other legit contributors to the team  with their first 4 picks (QB will be drafted #1 overall and be benched for the entire year). Add in that he will spend some money next year. This team should be greatly improved.

Hell its like the stat tweet I posted earlier in the day, that the Browns point differential should of made this browns team around a 6 win team or something like that. So the Browns should be capable of winning at least 4 games IMO specially if they go after a vet QB to be the bridge to the #1 overall QB. To me Huebris should be set at 5 wins. He gets to keep his job if they win at least 5 games

15 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I strongly believe just adding a overall playmaker like Barkley really improves the team. I would believe that Dorsey will do more than just add Barkley. Browns should add at least 3 other legit contributors to the team  with their first 4 picks (QB will be drafted #1 overall and be benched for the entire year). Add in that he will spend some money next year. This team should be greatly improved.

Hell its like the stat tweet I posted earlier in the day, that the Browns point differential should of made this browns team around a 6 win team or something like that. So the Browns should be capable of winning at least 4 games IMO specially if they go after a vet QB to be the bridge to the #1 overall QB. To me Huebris should be set at 5 wins. He gets to keep his job if they win at least 5 games

Getting a HC that knows how to work the playclock, that’s consistent, and knows how to use timeouts properly gets House atleast 3-4 wins. McCarron should be our guy if we’re keeping Hue. Rosen or Darnold should be the pick at one and Barkely or Minka should be the pick at 4. With me leaning heavily towards Barkely. Our offense is far behind our D

I'm actually on par with TheeRealDeal on his, so I did this one alittle different. I wouldn't be upset 1 bit at that offseason though. Besides Ward at 5. Too early for him IMO. I prefer Alex Smith as a mentor to the youth, and I hope he's the one if they choose that way

But....This is my offseason 

Sign AJ McCarron to an offer sheet for our 2nd Rd pick #33. This gives Hue the Qb he wants and needs to have success now. Now give him the pieces for success. "He has a good opportunity to win his case against the Bengals, so he could become a FA".

FA:

Trumaine Johnson - Had 3 good years in Gregg Williams Defense. Perfect fit.

DeMarcus Lawrence - Let's be real here. I Love Bradley Chubb and want him at #4, but 3 things....The Browns have to spend $57 mil minimum this year with the carryover, this move solidifies the opposite DE position and Chubb isn't going to be there at 4.

Terelle Pryor - I know it's not flashy, but he wanted to come back to Cleveland at the trade deadline, and the Browns tried to trade for him. He failed a physical and was put on IR. It seems like Hue and Terelle have a secret marriage, and Hue gets the most out of Pryor on the field. Takes a midroad contract to be back with Hue.

Tre Boston - Gregg Williams gets the best out of his Safeties everywhere he's been. Cleveland has no FS. Boston steps in and gives the Browns the True FS they need. It also puts Peppers in the SS role. Getting Tre doesn't stop the Browns from drafting competition. 

Resign Josh Gordon and lock him up on a year to year roster bonus to maintain his sobriety. If he stays sober and continues to destroy defenses, it ends up being a top 5 WR contract. If not, it doesn't become dead money and destroy Clevelands cap.

Draft - Browns trade #1 pick to the Jets for #6, #37, 2019 1st & 2nd. Their will be mad offers for #1 with Rosen not wanting to be a Brown.

#4 - Mike McGlinchey - OT - ND -  JTs contract is up next year. Even if he signs a 3 year deal and stays, McGlinchey will have the goat teaching him the ropes to take over LT when he leaves, and going against Garrett and Lawrence every day in practice, he will only get even better. He's the Best OT in this draft, and he's great getting to the 2nd level run blocking. Your bookends are secure before JT retires. Which could be as early as next year. McGlinchey was very successful at RT before moving to LT.

#6 Roquan Smith - ILB - UGA - Between the ends being solidified, and now your LB core, the Browns can have the best Front 7 in the league. Roquan is being compared to Luke Keukley. Sideline to Sideline playmaker, and he showed it today. He's an immediate upgrade over Schobert, and Carder is a UFA after this season. Kirksey, Smith & Collins. The Law Firm. 

#35 - Ryan Finley - QB - NC State - Quick release, accurate, quick decision maker and protector of the ball. His 1st interception was against ND on a tipped ball I believe it was in 5 games. Smart kid that reminds me of an Alex Smith type....which is why I like Smith as "The Mentor", but I had to change it alittle bit. Haha

#37 -Trade to Cowboys, for Dez Bryant. The WR core turns into a strength in 1 offseason, and gives multiple targets to McCarron to have success. The WR core have a Vet to look up to and takes pressure off of Gordon and promotes competition. And yes....there's enough balls to go around. Winning changes everything. 

#62 - Deshon Elliot - FS - Texas - Centerfielder that won't blow your dress up as a big hitter, but is a solid tackler. One of the better ballhawks and isn't afraid to come up and make a play in the run game

#65 - Rashaad Penny - RB - SDSU - One cut downhill runner that averaged 7+ yards a carry the last 2 seasons. 2016 1005 yds @ 7.2/tote 11 Tds - 2017  2248 yds @ 7.8 yds/tote 23 TDs. Can catch the rock aswell. Needs to get better at pass blocking.

I'm too tired to keep going, I got work in 5 hours. This spends money now, brings in Vets to support the youth, adds competition, versatility and I'd prefer Smith.....but I really believe Hue is going to push for McCarron to bring along the offense quicker. 

2 hours ago, dawgpound1816 said:

I'm actually on par with TheeRealDeal on his, so I did this one alittle different. I wouldn't be upset 1 bit at that offseason though. Besides Ward at 5. Too early for him IMO. I prefer Alex Smith as a mentor to the youth, and I hope he's the one if they choose that way

But....This is my offseason 

Sign AJ McCarron to an offer sheet for our 2nd Rd pick #33. This gives Hue the Qb he wants and needs to have success now. Now give him the pieces for success. "He has a good opportunity to win his case against the Bengals, so he could become a FA".

FA:

Trumaine Johnson - Had 3 good years in Gregg Williams Defense. Perfect fit.

DeMarcus Lawrence - Let's be real here. I Love Bradley Chubb and want him at #4, but 3 things....The Browns have to spend $57 mil minimum this year with the carryover, this move solidifies the opposite DE position and Chubb isn't going to be there at 4.

Terelle Pryor - I know it's not flashy, but he wanted to come back to Cleveland at the trade deadline, and the Browns tried to trade for him. He failed a physical and was put on IR. It seems like Hue and Terelle have a secret marriage, and Hue gets the most out of Pryor on the field. Takes a midroad contract to be back with Hue.

Tre Boston - Gregg Williams gets the best out of his Safeties everywhere he's been. Cleveland has no FS. Boston steps in and gives the Browns the True FS they need. It also puts Peppers in the SS role. Getting Tre doesn't stop the Browns from drafting competition. 

Resign Josh Gordon and lock him up on a year to year roster bonus to maintain his sobriety. If he stays sober and continues to destroy defenses, it ends up being a top 5 WR contract. If not, it doesn't become dead money and destroy Clevelands cap.

Draft - Browns trade #1 pick to the Jets for #6, #37, 2019 1st & 2nd. Their will be mad offers for #1 with Rosen not wanting to be a Brown.

#4 - Mike McGlinchey - OT - ND -  JTs contract is up next year. Even if he signs a 3 year deal and stays, McGlinchey will have the goat teaching him the ropes to take over LT when he leaves, and going against Garrett and Lawrence every day in practice, he will only get even better. He's the Best OT in this draft, and he's great getting to the 2nd level run blocking. Your bookends are secure before JT retires. Which could be as early as next year. McGlinchey was very successful at RT before moving to LT.

#6 Roquan Smith - ILB - UGA - Between the ends being solidified, and now your LB core, the Browns can have the best Front 7 in the league. Roquan is being compared to Luke Keukley. Sideline to Sideline playmaker, and he showed it today. He's an immediate upgrade over Schobert, and Carder is a UFA after this season. Kirksey, Smith & Collins. The Law Firm. 

#35 - Ryan Finley - QB - NC State - Quick release, accurate, quick decision maker and protector of the ball. His 1st interception was against ND on a tipped ball I believe it was in 5 games. Smart kid that reminds me of an Alex Smith type....which is why I like Smith as "The Mentor", but I had to change it alittle bit. Haha

#37 -Trade to Cowboys, for Dez Bryant. The WR core turns into a strength in 1 offseason, and gives multiple targets to McCarron to have success. The WR core have a Vet to look up to and takes pressure off of Gordon and promotes competition. And yes....there's enough balls to go around. Winning changes everything. 

#62 - Deshon Elliot - FS - Texas - Centerfielder that won't blow your dress up as a big hitter, but is a solid tackler. One of the better ballhawks and isn't afraid to come up and make a play in the run game

#65 - Rashaad Penny - RB - SDSU - One cut downhill runner that averaged 7+ yards a carry the last 2 seasons. 2016 1005 yds @ 7.2/tote 11 Tds - 2017  2248 yds @ 7.8 yds/tote 23 TDs. Can catch the rock aswell. Needs to get better at pass blocking.

I'm too tired to keep going, I got work in 5 hours. This spends money now, brings in Vets to support the youth, adds competition, versatility and I'd prefer Smith.....but I really believe Hue is going to push for McCarron to bring along the offense quicker. 

Mcglinchey isn’t even a top 20 pick. We have no need for an ILB. No to Des Bryant would not fit wel here and def not worth a 2nd and why draft Finley when we have a top QB prospect staring us in the face. Love Penny and Elliot though. 

7 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

I love that you feel you can state, as fact, Barkley nets us 4 wins and he’s never played a down yet.

The idea that he possibly busts, or is even just ok, hasn’t even crossed your mind. And no, it’s not just TRich, there have been plenty of others as well.

And why do so many people want to argue that we HAVE to take Barkley because we NEED a running back? Is he the only guy who plays the position? Are guys like Guice, Penny, Jones, Love, Michel, Chubb, etc., not quality prospects that would be available later?

It’s not a Barkley or nobody scenario.

I got a question for you guys. Did ogunjobi impressive play torwards the back end of the season make Danny Shelton Expendable ? To many Danny is a nothing more then a rough stuffer and two down player. He’s a former first round pick still on his rookie deal and hasn’t showed to be a bust or a star really ? So I’m all honesty I still think we can get a fairly decent return for him. Would you guys be willing to trade him for the right offer ? And what would be that offer ?

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

I got a question for you guys. Did ogunjobi impressive play torwards the back end of the season make Danny Shelton Expendable ? To many Danny is a nothing more then a rough stuffer and two down player. He’s a former first round pick still on his rookie deal and hasn’t showed to be a bust or a star really ? So I’m all honesty I still think we can get a fairly decent return for him. Would you guys be willing to trade him for the right offer ? And what would be that offer ?

Expendable? Hell no.

So what if he’s a run stuffer, we need those.

Im not trading a productive player and creating another hole to fill.

I'm trying to think of a polite way to state that the above mock draft is the worst I've ever seen. I saw Roquan Smith spend 3 quarters last night getting man-handled and missing reads as an ILB, who, by the way, we already have THREE GREAT ONES in Kirksey, Collins, and Schobert. STUPID PICK at #6 overall.

An OT at #4?

Trading pick #33 for A.J. McCarron and THEN drafting Finley 2 picks later?

Trading pick #37 for Dez Bryant, who is older, slower, and hasn't had 100 yards receiving in a game in almost 2 years?

Are you Jimmy Haslem/Hue Jackson/Dorsey in disguise sending out feelers?

I love the Elliott and Penny picks though.

21 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

It would depend on the offer. But we’re in no position to lose talent. 

47 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

It seems like when new GMs come in former first round picks who aren't playing at a higher level tend to be traded or moved on from.  If Shelton is traded I wouldn't be surprised.  I really like him but I think a 3-4 team might over value him.  Him being a 2 down player doesn't bother me and I think he could drop 20-30 lbs and maintain strength to be an interior pass rusher.  It looked like through the year he got bigger, but the coaching staff could have asked him to put on weight.

not a fan overall of this mock, but i am 100% on board with Roquan Smith. Kirksey is better than average LB's but he isn't all-pro. Schobert is solid and young, but is JAG, on D'Qwell Jackson level right now. Roquan Smith has made plays all over the field. We saw him stop the run, spy the QB, run with athletic guys in pass coverage. We saw little of any of this all season long. We could easily use Jamie Collins as a DE and OLB in different sets, and roll with Schobert/Smith/Kirksey when Collins is lined up at end. A guy who plays like he does transforms a defense

Archived