Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Pretty unique for those teams. The Packers were leaning on their HOF QB to carry the load which ultimately led to his desire to seek a new team. 

As for the Chiefs, they were a playoff team with Smith. As of now the Vikings aren’t and have only one a single playoff game since Kirk’s arrival. 

if we ignore the defense, I’d expect having to chase 30 points against most good teams. Leaning on Flores helped make the defense serviceable to very good in some stretches. There’s a lot of room for improvement. 

It's possible to draft a QB and also not ignore the defense.  That's not illegal or impossible.  The year after the Chiefs drafted Mahomes, they spent their entire draft on defense. 

Unfortunately, the way the NFL is currently constructed, the QB outweighs in importance significantly over every other position on the field...so, if you don't have your franchise QB, you're always looking for one first.  That's going to take precedence over the defense every single time.  With the way the offense is currently constructed, with solid young talent at every position outside of QB, resigning KIrk and drafting a QB takes utmost priority.  Then, if needed, they could spend every other pick they have on building the defense and developmental talent on offense.   

• Like 3

Just now, swede700 said:

It's possible to draft a QB and also not ignore the defense.  That's not illegal or impossible.  The year after the Chiefs drafted Mahomes, they spent their entire draft on defense. 

Unfortunately, the way the NFL is currently constructed, the QB outweighs in importance significantly over every other position on the field...so, if you don't have your franchise QB, you're always looking for one first.  That's going to take precedence over the defense every single time.  With the way the offense is currently constructed, with solid young talent at every position outside of QB, resigning KIrk and drafting a QB takes utmost priority.  Then, if needed, they could spend every other pick they have on building the defense and developmental talent on offense.   

Of course you can fix both. But we’re already short a day two pick. While they aren’t in a terrible cap situation, it’s not great either. So you might get two picks between day one and day two and otherwise leaning on day three rookies. Not ideal for getting an immediate infusion of defensive talent, might just have to get lucky again like they did with Pace. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Agreed. If we return every player on offense except KJ, and spend every pick other than one for a QB on defense, the team can improve. They can also sign a defender or two while keeping Hunter, Kirk and extending Jefferson. 

However, they MUST get a RB or let Chandler carry the load next year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wcblack34 said:

Agreed. If we return every player on offense except KJ, and spend every pick other than one for a QB on defense, the team can improve. They can also sign a defender or two while keeping Hunter, Kirk and extending Jefferson. 

However, they MUST get a RB or let Chandler carry the load next year. 

Any concern with the interior OL. Weren’t we pretty bad this year in situations where we had to run the ball for short yardage? I think you keep Ingram but are Risner and Bradbury worth keeping? 

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Any concern with the interior OL. Weren’t we pretty bad this year in situations where we had to run the ball for short yardage? I think you keep Ingram but are Risner and Bradbury worth keeping? 

Bradbury is under contract through 2025.  While he isn't performing like he should as a 1st round pick, he's serviceable...and does a good job with setting up the protections.  I do anticipate them bringing back Risner to give him a full offseason with the line.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I am concerned about the IOL's run blocking. But we aren't likely finding a ton of help in that area and, as far as I'm concerned, their first job (by a mile) is to keep Kirk on his feet. If Kirk can slice them up downfield, the run blocking will be easier. I think we are much more likely to find an upgrade at RB than IOL this off-season. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I am concerned about the IOL's run blocking. But we aren't likely finding a ton of help in that area and, as far as I'm concerned, their first job (by a mile) is to keep Kirk on his feet. If Kirk can slice them up downfield, the run blocking will be easier. I think we are much more likely to find an upgrade at RB than IOL this off-season. 

Okay no more tush pushes. Bradbury on his back sums up that experiment for us. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I want them doing both. If they resign him they are clearly trying to win, but they should be finding a successor no matter what.

A sustained window should be the goal, imo.

As much as I hate to say it, Green Bay has had great luck when sitting their #1 picks for 2-3 years.

Try to get Kirk on a 2 year deal and pass the reigns over and maybe try to offer Kirk a spot in the organization if he shuts it down at age 38-39.

• Like 2

Pretty sure I said trading up to get the third QB would make it hard to fix the team in one year. If you aren't fixing it for next year, don't sign Kirk. Because I don't know why you sign him off you aren't going all in. 

That's a lot of money you can spend setting up the team. I have no issue staying put and taking QB after signing Kirk. 

42 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I am thinking Vikings do:

a) Cousins 2/$82M

b) draft Edge in R1

c) draft RB on day 2

d) QB drafted in 2025

Sign DB and OG (not a Risner fan) and DT also....though I don't know how much money they have. More than 1 mock has the Vikings going Edge in round 1, though as they lose, the move into position for McCarthy or whomever they want as the 4th QB....so who knows.

21 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I am thinking Vikings do:

a) Cousins 2/$82M

b) draft Edge in R1

c) draft RB on day 2

d) QB drafted in 2025

I'm not a big fan of postponing drafting a QB since this seems to be a decent year to grab one mid first round. No guarantee that happens again in 2025.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not a big fan of postponing drafting a QB since this seems to be a decent year to grab one mid first round. No guarantee that happens again in 2025.

And I don't believe they'll be in the position to draft one in '25, because this year they're going to be as close to the top 10 as they will be...they'll be in the 20s again in 2025.  At least that's what I tend to believe.  Their fortune won't be as good as it was in '22 and won't be as bad as it has been this year.  

• Like 5