Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I wonder how hard it is for him to refer to them in the sort of third-person now.  I know I've worked places for a long-time and it was so hard to no longer say "we"...and I never worked for one as long as he did.

I still say we after six years being gone from my last job!

• Like 1

Just now, vike daddy said:

he "continues to believe..." which means he has no source with definitive information.

Yeah, I don't think anyone on either side is going to tell him with any sort of clarity whether that has even been asked for.  I don't see why they would.  I do think we'll get more clarity next week during and after the Combine, which has always been the target time, as we know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

A guaranteed 2 year contract has always been the prevailing thought. It’s not going to be less than that. Cousins is not going to sign a 1 year deal. Even if it’s disguised as a longer one. 

I can get behind a 2 year deal. I think the rookie would benefit with extended time under Cousins. That has worked for the Packers. So yeah, I still think now is the time to draft the QB. That said, this team probably can't expect to also sign Hunter. Maybe it's time to let him go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

A guaranteed 2 year contract has always been the prevailing thought. It’s not going to be less than that. Cousins is not going to sign a 1 year deal. Even if it’s disguised as a longer one. 

I actually have no issue with a 2-yr guaranteed deal, but I imagine a no-trade clause would be a sticking point, because should they draft a rookie and he's good enough to start in '25, they'd want to have the flexibility to move Kirk.  And I'm pretty sure Kirk wouldn't like that. 

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I actually have no issue with a 2-yr guaranteed deal, but I imagine a no-trade clause would be a sticking point, because should they draft a rookie and he's good enough to start in '25, they'd want to have the flexibility to move Kirk.  And I'm pretty sure Kirk wouldn't like that. 

I have no issue with a 2 year fully guaranteed deal, either. And I’m not against a NTC, either. But I’m of the opinion that an extension with Cousins should take the Vikings off the list for a QB early in the draft. 

And, if the Vikings are hell belt on getting a young QB, they’re supposedly doing exactly what they should be doing. Offering an extension on their terms. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

We should have some clarity in the coming days with the combine around the corner. Vikings should have a general idea on where they stand on trading up in the draft and the Cousins camp should know what teams have any interest in him.

From my memory the Vikings have never really been ones to accept a lost season. I think they look at the Houston situation with Stroud and feel they can re tool on the go while still competing or if they can't get into the top 3 range prior to free agency similar to Carolina last year then they move back to Cousins. 

I don't think KAM or KOC envision heading into next season with a mid level bridge QB and a developmental draft pick. It's either QB1-3 or it's  Cousins + redshirt draft pick.

• Like 1

Kirk Cousins holds the following Vikings franchise records

• Most pass completions in a regular season: 425
  • Most consecutive games with a passing touchdown: 39
  • Most consecutive pass attempts without an interception: 224
  • Most consecutive pass completions to start a game: 17

When the Broncos benched quarterback Russell Wilson and it quickly became obvious that they’ll cut him before his 2025 salary of $37 million becomes fully guaranteed on March 17, a sense emerged that Wilson will take the league minimum elsewhere ($1.21 million) and stick the Broncos with the balance of his $39 million fully-guaranteed compensation package for 2024.

However, Wilson won’t be doing that as a backup. He’ll want, in exchange for his willingness to take so little, a commitment that he’ll be the starter. That’s the only way he’ll resurrect his career for 2025. Wilson will want someone to roll out the red carpet while peeling off $1.21 million. 

The possibility of getting a starting quarterback for one year at $1.21 million should tempt any team with an unsettled quarterback situation. The Raiders were the first team mentioned after Wilson was benched. The Steelers are the current betting favorites to land him. The Falcons, for $1.21 million, should be in the mix. The Vikings should compare what they could get from Wilson for one year at $1.21 million to what it would cost them to keep Kirk Cousins.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/russell-wilson-will-want-to-resurrect-his-career-as-a-starter-not-as-a-backup

Edited by vike daddy

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

A one-year min deal for WIlson is very tempting.  If Wilson was okay with the team doing that and picking a QB in the first round it is something the team ought to consider.

Seems like it would be tempting for him to try to rebuild his image in this offense with Jefferson and Addison if he can swallow his pride and become a bridge QB.

I wonder how well he would work with KOC though 

• Like 1