Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

Chase Daniel: "Just do another two- or three-year deal. Kirk's getting up there in age but he's playing at an extremely high level. I do think they're going to find a way to work it out. I don't know if it's going to be all guaranteed because the two former regimes that gave him those are no longer there. This is a new regime and I don't think they want to set that precedent there. It'd be crazy if it's not Minnesota."

VikingsNation.com

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The biggest red flag for Wilson is how former teammates talk about him. It’s not favorably. 

But, from just a pure football perspective, there’s nothing from the past 3 seasons that would make me interested in him.  

I am familiar with his regression on the football field. I get that. I wouldn't be looking to bring him to anything more than a one-year deal where he was starting while the team gets someone else ready. He did show some signs of life last year after being terrible two years ago.

I would love to see some of what his teammates have said about him.  I haven't followed him close enough to know anything about that.

As far as what Mr. @swede700 mentioned about Wilson needing a personal office and putting himself above the team, I can understand why that would be a problem.  I didn't know anything about that. He would need to cut that out if I was to sign him. I don't know anything about the conversations he had with the Broncos that made him feel entitled to being treated like an executive, but before signing him the team would have to make sure he understood his place and be okay with that.

Wilson would be trying to show the rest of the league he was a team player and capable of winning. I am not sure what team would be a better place for Wilson to do that with than the Vikings so is he was willing to sign a one-year minimum deal with any team he might consider the Vikings.  But yeah, before they sign him they would have to make sure he understood that he was not above the team. Taking a one-year minimum deal, even though still being paid by the Broncos, would be a fair humble pie that would make me think he wasn't expecting too much from the Vikings other than the opportunity to show he's worth a whole lot more for the remaining few years he would be interested in playing.

All that said, there is no way Wilson would be near the top of my list.  At that bargain basement price, I do believe the team should consider the option.  They would need to know a whole lot more about how Wilson's teammates felt about playing with him than I know at the moment too. If his attitude was right, it may be a fit to have him around while a rookie learns -- if the team can't secure any of the better options.

I personally would still have Cousins as the top option for the year.  The team does need to have contingencies in case they can't sign him. That is a scenario that is not all that unlikely.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

@BowserBroncos, could you give us your two centavos on this, please? what was Wilson criticized for over the years, personality wise, and was it justified?

He was, early and his career his personality was not that highlighted, but to be fair Seattle had too many big personalities that outshined his (specially Sherman and Lynch)

Things got a little more evident when he got married to Ciara. Russ is super cringy, he acts like he is a presidential candidate (that lead to Sean Payton's comment last year that he needed to kiss less babies and be more of a football guy)

Other than Richard Sherman, I never seen any teammate say that is a problem in the locker room, despite many rumors throughout the years dating back from his time in Seattle.

I do think is very unlikely he will recover his results from early in his career. What he delivered last year is the normal. He will vary depending on coaching (the difference between Hackett and Payton in that regard was evident). And the PR tour he is doing since the benching tells me enough that he is very, very self-driven and may lack ability to admit when he is flawed.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

And the PR tour he is doing since the benching tells me enough that he is very, very self-driven and may lack ability to admit when he is flawed.

can you enlighten me more about this PR tour...?

18 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

It sounds like Russ may be conspiring to use a potential new employer to financially stick it to a potential former employer. 

That sounds like dirty money I want no part of.

Not really sure how you’d call it “dirty money” when the Broncos are cutting him. By cutting him, they are fully ready to eat his entire salary/dead money. 

For Wilson, it’s in his best interest to go to the best team possible, and that’s more likely to happen by taking the lowest salary possible in 2024. 

There’s no “sticking it” to Denver when they’re the ones making the choice to release him. 

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, BWG VIKE said:

It sounds like Russ may be conspiring to use a potential new employer to financially stick it to a potential former employer. 

This is the one thing about Russell Wilson I don't fault him for. Clearly, the Broncos have no problem "sticking it to" Wilson by not honoring the contract they signed. Teams will cut players the moment it makes financial sense for them to do so. No one should fault players for using their leverage to turn the tables. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

This is the one thing about Russell Wilson I don't fault him for. Clearly, the Broncos have no problem "sticking it to" Wilson by not honoring the contract they signed. Teams will cut players the moment it makes financial sense for them to do so. No one should fault players for using their leverage to turn the tables. 

Absolutely!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Not really sure how you’d call it “dirty money” when the Broncos are cutting him. By cutting him, they are fully ready to eat his entire salary/dead money. 

For Wilson, it’s in his best interest to go to the best team possible, and that’s more likely to happen by taking the lowest salary possible in 2024. 

There’s no “sticking it” to Denver when they’re the ones making the choice to release him. 

I wouldn't call dirty money. It's a business. It makes sense to cut Russ and Russ don't have to sign a high value contract. Simple as that.

I'd be more concern on Russ being a hell of a downgrade from Kirk Cousins than this being part of a beef between Russ and Denver.

Russ will likely fail in his next team and will put the blame in the organization after.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The ironic thing is that it doesn't really make financial sense for them to cut Wilson.  Payton dislikes him so much that they are cutting their nose to spite their face.  Financial sense would be to wait until 2026 to cut him. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The ironic thing is that it doesn't really make financial sense for them to cut Wilson.  Payton dislikes him so much that they are cutting their nose to spite their face.  Financial sense would be to wait until 2026 to cut him. 

Well...Payton is an idiot that rode a cheating defense and the right arm of Dre Brees to a Super Bowl victory. He's not a great coach, or even a really good coach. Why Denver EVER gave him roster control is a mystery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BWG VIKE said:

yes, he would be doing just that.

i wouldn't call that conspiring though. Wilson would be making himself attractive to another team, that's all.

1 hour ago, BWG VIKE said:

it would be good money management on the team's part who signs him. probably not good personnel evaluation, but definitely good dollars and sense.

Any team hoping to win over the next three years that isn’t in position to land one of the top starters in the 2024 draft should be trying to pursue Cousins. That’s a group that includes the Broncos, Buccaneers, Falcons, Raiders, Steelers and Titans, with the Dolphins and Seahawks as outside candidates if they move on from their current starters. Some of those teams will opt for longer shots in the draft, but if Cousins’ recovery is on track, he should be able to get one more significant deal as a 35-year-old free agent.

Average annual salary projection: $51 million per season. Now, as I’ve said before, I’m as big a Cousins supporter as you’ll probably find here, but if the price tag is $51 million a season, I’m out. Sorry. . .just can’t do it for a guy that age coming off of that injury. I don’t care how good he looks throwing the football around.

But if that’s the number, that presents additional problems for the Vikings because of the way they handled Cousins’ current deal and the void years that are putting the $28.5 million cap hit on the club in 2024 that they’ll have to account for if Cousins doesn’t come back. The Vikings are actually quite limited on how much they can offer him.

Some of the prorated bonuses ($6.25 million in 2023, 2024, and 2025) were left over from the 2022 extension of Cousins, while the remaining $4 million per year was from the 2023 restructure. All that void year money ($28.5 million) is set to count against Minnesota’s cap in 2024 unless Cousins were to sign another extension to stay in Minnesota, in which case they would simply tack onto a new deal’s cap hits in their respective years.

But there is a catch. Those base salaries in 2024-2027, which are effectively dummy numbers that will never be paid, set a cap for a possible future extension. Per the CBA, a player cannot sign a new deal that includes a raise within a year of signing another deal. Cousins’ new deal is, on paper, a 5-year, $200-million deal ($40 million APY), with a $20 million signing bonus (and $180 million in paragraph 5 base salaries), a mark that cannot be exceeded should he sign a deal to remain in Minnesota before the 2024 league year. Given the current market for starting-caliber quarterbacks in the NFL, this would seem to imply that Cousins is going to take a below-market deal or test the market in 2024.

So, if the Vikings are going to get a deal done with Cousins before the start of the 2024 league year on 13 March, it’s going to top out at $40 million/year. That means there won’t be anything happening with Cousins and the Vikings after the new league year because, again, the Vikings aren’t going to take the $28.5 million dead cap hit and pay Cousins a hefty salary on top of that.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/2/26/24083857/kirk-cousins-projected-contract-value-espn-more-than-minnesota-vikings-can-give-him-nfl-free-agency?fbclid=IwAR3I2gWRneG7kO0abF_sJVrUMlXwsInitobse6R3bsMP6tiAjsrPSQ_VHXk

• Like 2