Week 17: Broncos (7-8) Vs Chargers (5-10)

jolly red giant

29 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think I only say 3 drives by the offence, but…it looked the same? That seems pretty damning to Russ. 

Not to mention we were without Sutton. Russ without Sutton likely looks considerably worse in more than a few games this year. 

I think if Stidham were to clean up a few of the miscommunications with wideouts and improves accuracy on a handful of throws our offense likely looks better than anything we rolled have out thus far this year. All hypothetical and obviously we weren't that productive, but still saw enough to think we are better off without Russ. 

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

You can see what Sean has been missing all year. Stidham ain’t it. He’s consistently late. But you can at least see the vision of this offense with a QB.

3 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think I only say 3 drives by the offence, but…it looked the same? That seems pretty damning to Russ. 

Sure, it was 16-9, and it was the ChargIR's, but let's recognize the difference we saw today, and also the limits Jarret Stidham has:

-The O actually threw the ball in the middle of the field, and threw slants.   

-The run game actually functioned quite well until we were up 10 in the 4Q, and the Chargers sold out to stop the run (and yes, Javonte doesn't have the juice right now, he may just be dinged up, and obv year 1 post-ACL, let alone his Terrible Triad, he's not anywhere close to the pre-ACL self - at the 16-18 month mark, we'll get a better idea of what his ceiling is).    

-Unlike Russ, Stidham didn't take extra sacks, or try to make defenders miss, thinking he has that ability.   Just staying on schedule is why we won without the game ever feeling like we were ever in trouble.

-We absolutely controlled the LOS on both sides of the ball, and then controlled TOP as a result.   

The 3 reasons why we only scored 16:

-Jarret Stidham's location in placing balls was really, really, REALLY bad in the 1H.   He was better in the 2H, but it was rough.   I know there's time to get more game reps and improve, but I suspect this is kinda why he's a backup.   

-Our 3rd-down O today was abysmal.  Now, I get it, no Sutton and no Mims, and Stidham's accuracy issues probably aren't going to be any worse than today, and should improve.  

-Payton got SUPER conservative once it was clear LAC couldn't really drive.   I don't blame him, but he can't really afford to do that when we face actual decent O's.

On that note - while Aidan O'Connell is a younger, greener version of Stidham (and that matters), the same edges we enjoyed this week that I alluded to when I predicted an easy DEN win (and I'll gladly take the -3 4U win lol).....they're the wrong way next week, and at Vegas, with a motivated squad that wants to keep their jobs - I think we'll be 8-9 next week.   The key matchups were all in our favor this week - next week, not so much.

But again, I'm relieved we won't sniff playoffs - let's just play the kids and ppl who are still going to be here next year, let no one get hurt, play hard - and we can look to 2024 knowing our O has hope we can be more than the Russell Wilson version.   Again, I do not believe for a second we should go into 2024 with ONLY Jarred Stidham - get another vet, and draft someone if they are there at the right spot (or hit the 2025 draft hard, but I won't argue if Sean loves a kid this year).   Let 2nd vet & Stidham fight it out for a total rebuild 2024, eat Russ' cap hit entirely (or 90+ percent) & be ready for 2025+ with cap health and a young core. 

I

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think the biggest difference was in the targets. Wilson usually targets RB's as much as WR's. Stidham was 18-WR's, 8-RB's and 4-TE's.  The only time Wilson had numbers like that he threw 3 picks. 

As far as Stidham? So far so good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

But again, I'm relieved we won't sniff playoffs - let's just play the kids and ppl who are still going to be here next year, let no one get hurt, play hard - and we can look to 2024 knowing our O has hope we can be more than the Russell Wilson version.   Again, I do not believe for a second we should go into 2024 with ONLY Jarred Stidham - get another vet, and draft someone if they are there at the right spot (or hit the 2025 draft hard, but I won't argue if Sean loves a kid this year).   Let 2nd vet & Stidham fight it out for a total rebuild 2024, eat Russ' cap hit entirely (or 90+ percent) & be ready for 2025+ with cap health and a young core. 

As you said - Payton got conservative late in the game - I think that might have partly been to do with the fact that the Chiefs were struggling against the Bengals and winning the division was still a possibility.

IMO he has no excuse next week not to really open up the playbook and see what Stidham can do with more reps. The only possible limitation is whether Payton's ego will want him to go for a winning season rather than find out who can contribute next season.

I also agree we need a vet to compete with Stidham and we should get rid of the dead cap using next year to clear it over the two years.

On 1/1/2024 at 3:01 AM, Broncofan said:

-The O actually threw the ball in the middle of the field, and threw slants.   

This is very clearly the deciding factor when it comes to Russ, and I have referenced this myself in another gameday thread.

Russ just isn't tall enough to see the easy in routes, or tall enough to execute them consistently. Routes on the outside take longer to develop and are lower perecentage because the ball has to travel further (duh), so you can't build an Offense around them. You need to consistently threaten the seams of a Defense; whether that be the seams between a CB and a Safety, or the seams between CB and LB. 

If I had the team I'd love to go back and look at how Drew Brees managed to do this (or if he did).

Stidham's ball location was off frequently and he still made a lot of these throws.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

If I had the team I'd love to go back and look at how Drew Brees managed to do this (or if he did).

Stidham's ball location was off frequently and he still made a lot of these throws.

Didn't watch Brees a lot because he was in the NFC -

But my understanding is that he was very smart, could read and dissect a defence, always on his toes, had pocket presence and could move within the pocket to create passing lanes, got the ball out very quickly and had incredible anticipation about where his receiver was going to be. If accurate - these attributes are rare to have in one QB.

Payton also helped - because Brees was so quick at getting the ball out, the biggest threat to him was a collapsing pocket forced by the DL, rather than from edge rushers - so Payton prioritised drafting IOL to stop the bullrush up the middle and give Brees a clean pocket to step up into.

4 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

This is very clearly the deciding factor when it comes to Russ, and I have referenced this myself in another gameday thread.

Russ just isn't tall enough to see the easy in routes, or tall enough to execute them consistently. Routes on the outside take longer to develop and are lower perecentage because the ball has to travel further (duh), so you can't build an Offense around them. You need to consistently threaten the seams of a Defense; whether that be the seams between a CB and a Safety, or the seams between CB and LB. 

Brees had a great ability to judge drop backs to optimize his throwing lanes.  IIRC he also had a really high release point and quick release that reduced reaction time for DL to bat the ball down.   It’s also no coincidence guys like Colston and Michael Thomas were the X guys.   The extra catch radius mattered to mitigate Bree’s height.  Still Bree’s’ recognition / anticipation (so he threw to spots all the time) and quick / high release made him a unicorn IIRC.    Kyler Murray as a contrast would struggle in the same Payton system (although he still throws more slants / over the middle than Russ does).  

if Stidham had better placement in the 1H it would have been a blood bath on O vs. LAC.   The Raiders secondary is vastly improved since last time we played (they’ve had a secondary turnover that rivals what we did post - MIA / CHI).   I don’t see the same windows being there.   It’s why I’m unconvinced Stidham’s the 2024 vet stopgap solution (fine backup) but practically for next week it’s the deciding factor on how well the pass game works next week.   But to be clear yeah the O is still 10x better off without Russ in there with a full route tree and all 3 levels and middle of the field available.   

Edited by Broncofan

Stidham didn't look great, but he did throw the ball in the middle of the field. He actually seemed semi-comfortable in a clean pocket which was nice to see. A couple of his passes stood out to me and I think he's a competent backup QB for this offense if nothing else. He performed as well as Russ with less help too. The WRs didn't seem to cut up about having him in the game.

It was ugly, predictably. We're going to get blitzed by LV again I'm afraid, but realistically we need the draft position. No more monkeying around.

• Like 2