2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

30 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We’ve only signed Wilkins / Mattison / Bryant / Minshew?

And we've lost 7 players to free agency this far. All contributors or starters. 

Nichols, Jacobs, elumenor, Hooper, amik, parker, (and Tyler hall, but meh) 

And cut 4.... Renfrow, Jimmy, Hoyer and Tillery. 

It's not a lot, but we've certainly lost more talent than gained. We're definitely not better off at this point. The remaining free agents we can find a bit of depth, but there aren't many starters out there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NickButera said:

It's not a lot, but we've certainly lost more talent than gained. We're definitely not better off at this point. The remaining free agents we can find a bit of depth, but there aren't many starters out there. 

Which makes it hard to potentially trade up as well

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

I’ll rather have Wilkins then all those guys combined 🫣

• Like 1

It's not just how many guys you sign and lose it how big of contracts received and playing time, is all part of the formula.

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

I think Jacobs, Elu, and Amik (maybe) can be considered losses of significance. The rest were overpaid/mediocre. And I think Wilkins is way better than anyone we've brought in in years. So hard to be too critical on it tbf

• Like 3

4 hours ago, NickButera said:

The reality is when you factor in all the people we also brought in the two players we really lost our Amik Robertson and elumenor. And even then we haven't gone into the draft yet or finished Free agency do you know what the end result of losing those two would be. 

Edited by Jeremy408

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Jacobs, Elu, and Amik (maybe) can be considered losses of significance. The rest were overpaid/mediocre. And I think Wilkins is way better than anyone we've brought in in years. So hard to be too critical on it tbf

The salary those overpaid guys got helps the formula in favor.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

The reality is when you factor in all the people we also brought in the two players we really lost our Amik Robertson and elumenor. And even then we haven't gone into the draft yet or finished Free agency do you know what the end result of losing those two would be. 

Again it still remains how they perform in season, post season accolades are also factored in.

Losing Jacobs sucks but not huge since he was outplayed by White on a per carry basis.  I think White and Mattison can duplicate what we got last year which was 1256 yards and 7 TDs.  Amik and Elumenor are the only losses that have not been replaced or improved upon yet.  I think a 1st and 2nd round pick can easily replace them year 1.  Amik sucks the most but he was going to be a 3rd or 4th CB next year.  We are definitely better than last year on paper.

Just remember, the Chargers' BIGGEST downfall and the only downside to Telesco that can be reasonably assumed is truly his fault.....was he built a top heavy roster that had no depth and couldn't sustain any hiccups during the season, like the injuries. 

So, awesome, we gave up 11 players who were starters, contributors and depth players for basically 1 star and two backups. Obviously it's not done. But if it's perfectly fair to judge the moment by the words "this looks familiar"

Just remember, the Chargers' BIGGEST downfall and the only downside to Telesco that can be reasonably assumed is truly his fault.....was he built a top heavy roster that had no depth and couldn't sustain any hiccups during the season, like the injuries. 

So, awesome, we gave up 11 players who were starters, contributors and depth players for basically 1 star and two backups. Obviously it's not done. But if it's perfectly fair to judge the moment by the words "this looks familiar"

Meh, he also retained our starting C, DT2 and DT3. The other downside of Telesco was handing out too many huge contracts and severely limiting the Chargers cap situation. I don't necessarily mind him not blowing huge amounts of $ in wave 1/2 of FA. There's still time and names out there.

Some of the contracts handed out this season are laughably bad.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

so how does the comp pick formula work? I read an article stating that anyone signed after 5/1 doesn't affect the comp picks in 2025? Is that accurate? Does cut players impact comp pick formula???? 

3/25 - with the above info, here is my smaller free agent list of guys I would still sign regardless of comp picks or were cut

RG- Van Wroten, Dalton Risner, Mark Glowinski(cut), Laken Tomlinson (cut)

RT- Mekhi Becton, Andre Dillard (cut), Andrus Peat

LB- Isaiah Simmons, Mykal Walker 

CB- Adoree Jackson, Tre White (cut), Xavien Howard (cut), Steven Nelson, JC Jackson (cut)

Other guys I would still be interested in signing: Clowney, Shenault, Mike Danna, 

Edited by Humble_Beast

7 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Nichols, Elu, Robertson, Jacobs. They seem like they got paid to be starters. 

Yeah but we couldn't really keep Jacobs for that price.

Elu I personally wanted to keep and he went for around what I thought he was gonna go for. But I would like to see what we do in the draft before I pass judgment here

Amik went for as little as I thought he would go for but the market is still pretty thick of corners that we could replace it with even if we don't draft a corner that high. 

Who could really be sad to see Nichols go. We were able to sign better defensive tackles that outplayed him last year who are both guys who are really just rotational. Glad we didn't bring that guy back. He was paid like a starter but he didn't play like a starter

• Like 1