2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

On 9/9/2024 at 12:32 PM, big_palooka said:

I get why you couldn't commit to AP right way, but it felt like they had no plan. Especially post season when they interviewed basically nobody. 

It felt that way because it was that way. 

We definitely took the "throw sh*t and hope it sticks" route. 

To be honest, I even sometimes question just how much of a push we even made for the only other guy being looked at (Harbaugh). Crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if we halfassed trying to actually land him, thinking we get him or he stays at Michigan, especially once the locker room started blabbing. 

20 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

To be honest, I even sometimes question just how much of a push we even made for the only other guy being looked at (Harbaugh). Crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't be surprised if we halfassed trying to actually land him, thinking we get him or he stays at Michigan, especially once the locker room started blabbing. 

I honestly feel like Mark Davis went frugal. We never announced Pierce contract. Pierce probably the lowest paid head coach who is just happy to get the job. We are still paying big contracts to Gruden and McDaniels. We also sitting on 30m plus in cap space that Davis save there. I figure Davis is just saving a buck this year and just went with the cheap fan & player favorite choice. If we suck, Davis will pay up for a top tier coach in 2025.

Edited by Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I honestly feel like Mark Davis went frugal. We never announced Pierce contract. Pierce probably the lowest paid head coach who is just happy to get the job. We are still paying big contracts to Gruden and McDaniels. We also sitting on 30m plus in cap space that Davis save there. I figure Davis is just saving a buck this year and just went with the cheap fan & player favorite choice. If we suck, Davis will pay up for a top tier coach in 2025.

I absolutely don’t think that’s the case. I don’t think it had anything at all to do with being frugal. He went with Pierce as HC to appease the locker room and as he is the antithesis of McDaniels. He probably was over correcting after the Bisaccia / McDaniels situation.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I absolutely don’t think that’s the case. I don’t think it had anything at all to do with being frugal. He went with Pierce as HC to appease the locker room and as he is the antithesis of McDaniels. He probably was over correcting after the Bisaccia / McDaniels situation.

I’m sure money played a part. Get the cheap locker room favorite. Win Win. Pierce and QB the scapegoat if we lose again

On 9/10/2024 at 3:30 PM, ronjon1990 said:

Harbaugh was never coming to us. His relationship was with Al Davis not Mark. Herbert and California were the main choices to chose chargers . Outside of Michigan he only coached teams in California 

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 1

Raiders worked out two LBers today. Both were UDFAs and final cut down casualties this year. Purest of speculation notes that if either showed out, we're light at LB on the PS while holding two TEs.

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2024/9/3/24235084/september-raiders-news-tracker-2024

Edited by LongJonSilver
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Nothing further came from the Yannick Ngakoue talk then, I guess we went with Chaisson instead?

Yes. Chaisson (and Sam Webb) went on the PS last week, were active/available for the game, and then reverted to the PS this week afterward.

They are allowing teams to elevate 2 PS guys directly to the game roster and back again without getting poached (no clearing waivers) this year. I think each guy can only do it once (or maybe twice, I forget), but it is a good idea IMO. Gives PS guys more of a chance at a game check & visibility, and gives teams flexibility & injury protection without risking a guy they have invested time in.

Edited by LongJonSilver
  • Like 1