2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Sucks to be sitting on 24m then. We should be down to 8-10m with room to sign our draft picks. We know we are getting another 13m on June 1 for Jimmy contract…you are forgetting Brandon Fracyson. He was signed the first day of free agency last year like Epps, Spillane. I think he can have a similar impact if healthy. He’s not an all pro corner but has been a solid starting corner who is still in his 20s. 

Yeh, Facyson might be a decent CB and we seemed to specifically target him in FA last year with a view to being a starting CB. I’m not counting him as a starter as he was out basically all year but if he can be a starter that’s a bonus. We can always use that money to front load some deals and give us more freedom in future, always good to be prudent like that as you’ll always end up with dead cap and wasted money somewhere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Geezy said:

I’d take a flyer on CJ Henderson. 

Goodness no!!!! Is that the kid that refused to tackle but went in the first round when we drafted Arnette??

We don’t need to bring in a guy like that, he’s not a team player and is a waste of time imho sorry!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would have loved Chase Young on a 1y 15m deal. Yosh Nijman would have been nice on a 1y4m, he had ties to Getsy and plays RT/RG. Seemed like a no brainer 

We would have wasted a year developing Wilson and Koonce signing Young. Happy we passed and we can use that money elsewhere, or on re-signing our own players. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, Facyson might be a decent CB and we seemed to specifically target him in FA last year with a view to being a starting CB. I’m not counting him as a starter as he was out basically all year but if he can be a starter that’s a bonus. We can always use that money to front load some deals and give us more freedom in future, always good to be prudent like that as you’ll always end up with dead cap and wasted money somewhere.

Yeah they paid Facyson to start last season. It was him, Spillane and Epps when JMD said they felt like they signed 3 starters out the gate, now based off how Spillane and Epps performed maybe Facyson would have done well too, I can't see them signing those guys without input from Graham for what he wanted on defense. So if Graham likes him maybe he bounces back this season, I would still draft a CB tho.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 8:18 AM, Darbsk said:

To be honest, if we only signed Wilkins and a bunch of no name guys I’d never heard of I’d still be reasonably happy. QB aside, DT was our biggest hole and it seems like it has been for eons.

I’m not so worried about LB as I feel we can fill in there, especially if we have a good DLine in Front of them to protect therm  and I’m happy with Spillane and Deablo. Masterson I’m fine with too as we generally only use two in base.

RT/RG could do with some investment but I would say it’s easier to find that in the draft than a DT. Munford I feel can be at least average and OG is the most devalued position so no worries there.

CB I probably have a slightly different view than most. I don’t think we need a ‘lockdown’ corner. We have Jack Jones and Nate Hobbs who are both decent to good, if we can add another player of that calibre (doesn’t need to be an All Pro) I’m very happy, I’d rather have 3 solid players than a Revis and 2 scrubs. That is eminently achievable plus we have Bennett in his second year who was pretty highly thought of and may improve after a rough rookie season.

No team ever fills all its holes and due to the salary cap we’ll always have some weaknesses. I think that’s a strong foundation to build off of and then we need the QB. We get one of those and everything will click into place. I’m optimistic here 😀

I understand what you are saying but if you are Patrick Graham you would be pounding the table for more talent on the D, given what he did last year. Apart from Tyree was Marcus Peters the only other 1st round pick we had on D last year? He had mid level FAs, like Spillane & Epps, Butler coming off a 2 year hiatus and forced to start a 4th round rookie CB. 

I think it would be a mistake not to continue to try to improve the D, CB is definitely a position we could get some vet talent at (eg Howard, White) or in the draft. I’d also look at LB to see we can get some more competition. 

QB is an obvious need but I hope we don’t sacrifice the D or the rest of the team in trading up for a mid level QB. If we can’t get one of the top 3 QBs I’d rather we continue to build the roster. Like you I am optimistic, build the foundations and if we are going into 2025 with QB as our only obvious hole I’d take it. 

10 hours ago, Dessie said:

I understand what you are saying but if you are Patrick Graham you would be pounding the table for more talent on the D, given what he did last year. Apart from Tyree was Marcus Peters the only other 1st round pick we had on D last year? He had mid level FAs, like Spillane & Epps, Butler coming off a 2 year hiatus and forced to start a 4th round rookie CB. 

I think it would be a mistake not to continue to try to improve the D, CB is definitely a position we could get some vet talent at (eg Howard, White) or in the draft. I’d also look at LB to see we can get some more competition. 

QB is an obvious need but I hope we don’t sacrifice the D or the rest of the team in trading up for a mid level QB. If we can’t get one of the top 3 QBs I’d rather we continue to build the roster. Like you I am optimistic, build the foundations and if we are going into 2025 with QB as our only obvious hole I’d take it. 

Oh, absolutely! If we can get a very good CB and another rotation pass rusher that would be awesome. Pretty much every team using multiple receiver sets so you can’t really have too many decent corners. 

In a perfect world I’d fill glaring holes with value veteran free agents like OG, swing tackle, depth at CB and TE, maybe a slot receiver. Then I’d look to obtain within the draft a future NT/DT, future outside CB, maybe some LB depth and of course the QBoTF is the keystone, if we can’t realistically get one this year then manouvre to put ourselves in good draft position next year.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, absolutely! If we can get a very good CB and another rotation pass rusher that would be awesome. Pretty much every team using multiple receiver sets so you can’t really have too many decent corners. 

In a perfect world I’d fill glaring holes with value veteran free agents like OG, swing tackle, depth at CB and TE, maybe a slot receiver. Then I’d look to obtain within the draft a future NT/DT, future outside CB, maybe some LB depth and of course the QBoTF is the keystone, if we can’t realistically get one this year then manouvre to put ourselves in good draft position next year.

Thats how I see it. Also if we were to put a good team together QBs might want to force a trade to come to us. 

• Like 1