2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Was disappointed Jackson didn't run.  I was thinkiong he could come in as the fastest QB ever.  Underrstand why he didn't though. Everyone already knows he's fast. Was also really disappointed that Darnold didn't throw. I hate when guys just want to perform on their home turf in controlled environment. I'd rather see them compete on a level playing field against everyone else. Again, I see why - he's going number 1 unless he screws up. Still, as a fan I'd like to see him out there.

I don't think he has the first pick locked up at all (Rosen and Allen both had good showings), but he absolutely should not have thrown at the combine. That was the right move. When you have a cracked out throwing motion that is less than ideal, you don't put yourself on the field against someone with a picture perfect mechanical delivery like Rosen. Even Allen has a nicer throwing motion then Darnold. It would have been a noticeable difference. How much teams would have cared is debatable, but regardless, it was a net negative for Darnold against Allen and Rosen, so there's no reason for him to do it. 

Nowyou throw at your pro day, when the immediate comparison against the two others isn't there and not so fresh, it may not get discussed as a point of contention as much. 

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Rosen threw some 60-yarders that hit guys right in stride. I can't think of another QB who seems to throw the ball more easily than he does. Allen has the "cannon" that everyone says he does.

Rosens throwing motion is definitely one of the smoothest I've ever seen in a prospect. Just gorgeous

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I don't think he has the first pick locked up at all (Rosen and Allen both had good showings), but he absolutely should not have thrown at the combine. That was the right move. When you have a cracked out throwing motion that is less than ideal, you don't put yourself on the field against someone with a picture perfect mechanical delivery like Rosen. Even Allen has a nicer throwing motion then Darnold. It would have been a noticeable difference. How much teams would have cared is debatable, but regardless, it was a net negative for Darnold against Allen and Rosen, so there's no reason for him to do it. 

Nowyou throw at your pro day, when the immediate comparison against the two others isn't there and not so fresh, it may not get discussed as a point of contention as much. 

I get that. But everyone already knows he throws funky.  The scouts are not going to forget that just because no one else is throwing that day. HEck they're probably going to go over in frame by frame slo mo and figure whether it's a quirk, or a problem.  If you are right and there is competition  for the nubmer one pick then I think the exact opposite.  If you've got it locked up then by all means sit out today. But if not then go out there and just show them you're better then the other guys. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I get that. But everyone already knows he throws funky.  The scouts are not going to forget that just because no one else is throwing that day. HEck they're probably going to go over in frame by frame slo mo and figure whether it's a quirk, or a problem.  If you are right and there is competition  for the nubmer one pick then I think the exact opposite.  If you've got it locked up then by all means sit out today. But if not then go out there and just show them you're better then the other guys. 

Yes, but you don't need to draw attention to it here and make it a bigger deal because the actual throwing and how the passes look is largely inconsequential unless you bomb it (any scout changing their evaluation on the passing ability of a quarterback based on combine or pro day throwing in shorts in non game situations against what's actually on tape in game action shouldn't have a job). He's not locking up the number one pick by throwing at the combine, and a great pro day is closer to the draft and more fresh. If they all throw well, the only thing that comes out of it is how much worse his throwing mechanics look against the other two. There's no reason to make his throwing motion a story here. It does him no favors. LIS, just a net negative for him. 

THOMAS, JORDAN

Mississippi St.

TE - 6054 - 265 lbs - 34 1/8" arms - 11" hands - 4.74 speed 40 time - 10'3" broad j - 4.20 shuttle - 7.15 3 cone

That was a good showing, by the numbers. I have yet to watch the TE drills. Anyone notice him? 

I’m starting to warm up to the idea of Derwin James at 9 if he’s there. I think he could play corner for us. I expect him to rock the combine though and he very well could be gone at 9. 

5 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I loved Gesicki all season long.  Knew he was fast but had no idea he was that fast.  Just short of 11 foot broadjump, 22 reps and a fantastic 3-cone for a TE. What a pair he'd make with Kittle!

Edit - I didn't see his vert when I posted this. He jumped 41.5.  Fantastic set of numbers for him.  He's really good on field too.  As Mayock says though he's not a good blocker. So if we wanted to pair a big blocking TE with Kittle he's not the guy.  But OMG what a match nightmare to have two TEs with 4.5 speed to throw out there.  I'm sure Shanny would find really good ways to put that kind of talent to use.

Still a big Andrews fan and he did nothing to disappoint today. 4.67 for a guy his size is crazy and he looked fluid in all drills. Gesicki is a intriguing prospect though his inability to block is a big turn-off for me.

1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I’m starting to warm up to the idea of Derwin James at 9 if he’s there. I think he could play corner for us. I expect him to rock the combine though and he very well could be gone at 9. 

Im actually looking forward to seeing his teammate, McFadden. Really want to see how he looks in drills and his 40. Alot of intrigue with the DBs though. Bunch of guys I'm looking forward to watching, James being among them.

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Gesicki is a intriguing prospect though his inability to block is a big turn-off for me.

Delanie Walker came into the league with similar measurables to Gesicki and with the "can't block well" stigma as well. Wouldn't mind seeing the ol' wheel route back in the arsenal producing again... ;)

7 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Actually he weighed 214. I really like St. Brown. He'll have to work on getting off press coverage as a pro but the kid has alot of tools to work with. Disappointed in J'mon Moore's 40 times. His tape shows a much faster, explosive player. Will defintely hurt his stock but I still think he one of the better WR prospects no one talks about. Callaway impressed me the most though. Shame he has the red flags because he is a supremely gifted receiver. 

Dang, I didn't see he weighed in at 215. That's huge for him. I think that pushes him into the second, maybe 3rd or 4th of the board. I thought he could legit be sub 200. 

31 minutes ago, Psychlone said:

Delanie Walker came into the league with similar measurables to Gesicki and with the "can't block well" stigma as well. Wouldn't mind seeing the ol' wheel route back in the arsenal producing again... ;)

Minor difference being that delanie was a receiver in college, blocking in line wouldn't be his strength. But he was capable and willing. Gesicki is a tight end who played on a run heavy power team and blocks like a matador. He either sucks at it, or is unwilling to do it. 

Don't know that it's a major issue though. I don't think it really hurts his stock at all. Look at Evan engram. 

6 hours ago, John232 said:

Man, Chark really does have a pretty nice highlight reel. 

Was frustrating offense, despite my joy in watching Guice run. 

I feel like the pass pro OL really held them back, but they also seemed to have Nolan/Singletary- like conservative playcalling. 

I felt badly for Chark.. as well as Etling, for that matter. They would have shown more, if OL and playcalls allowed for it. 

Archived