2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

16 hours ago, StevenK said:

I think one of the scenarios that I saw, draft Connor Williams and play him at guard and then possibly make him the RT and move Brown over to LT once Staley retries. Granted if Williams plays well at guard just keep him there and just draft someone for our RT. Or like you mentioned trade Brown after we draft someone that we seem fits the mold. Decisions, decisions

I think people overrate how often this is done, and even more so how much it succeeds. I'm pretty sure that the Dolphins did this with Tunsil, but it's kind of been a bad result on the tackle end of it. Add to that, I'm not sure that Williams is a tackle at the next level, but that's just my own opinion of him. 

I was listening to the PFF podcast/youtube show, and they made an interesting point about Derwin James' impact on blitzing off the edge and just how much of an impact he has doing it. They even joked he is a more effective pass rusher than Bradley Chubb LOL. He really is the swiss army knife on defense and could pretty much play anywhere. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was listening to the PFF podcast/youtube show, and they made an interesting point about Derwin James' impact on blitzing off the edge and just how much of an impact he has doing it. They even joked he is a more effective pass rusher than Bradley Chubb LOL. He really is the swiss army knife on defense and could pretty much play anywhere. 

Well he's had one sack over the past two seasons so I guess I'd have to watch him a whole lot more to see how true that is. Of course our staff is pretty creative and I'm sure they could find a way to make use of a guy that can cover guys and also rush on occasion. Given that we're not likely to have anb individual stud pass rusher we could use a few guys that can get a few sacks apiece so it will all add up over the course of a season. I like Edmunds for the same reason. Seems to me he ought to be able to get a few sacks even if doesn't play Leo for us.

4 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Well he's had one sack over the past two seasons so I guess I'd have to watch him a whole lot more to see how true that is. Of course our staff is pretty creative and I'm sure they could find a way to make use of a guy that can cover guys and also rush on occasion. Given that we're not likely to have anb individual stud pass rusher we could use a few guys that can get a few sacks apiece so it will all add up over the course of a season. I like Edmunds for the same reason. Seems to me he ought to be able to get a few sacks even if doesn't play Leo for us.

I believe Vic Beasley was playing SAM a couple of years back when he lead the league in sacks. I’ve been saying all offseason that I think Tremaine Edmunds is the prototype for that SAM position and I would not be surprised at all if he was a double digit sack guy year one if he’s playing SAM. 

49erswire has a mock that I think almost everyone here will like.  They've got Chubb falling to us at 9, theen Carlton Davis in the second, and Malik Jefferson and Penny in the third. I love three of those 4 picks and like the 4th.  They gave us J'Mon Moore in the 4th but I don't know anything about him.

9 hours ago, big9erfan said:

49erswire has a mock that I think almost everyone here will like.  They've got Chubb falling to us at 9, theen Carlton Davis in the second, and Malik Jefferson and Penny in the third. I love three of those 4 picks and like the 4th.  They gave us J'Mon Moore in the 4th but I don't know anything about him.

would be a sweet draft, imo

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so is there an alternative universe where they rescind the franchise tag on Bell?

I don't think so. I think they are doing this 100% right. Most of FA is done, and they don't really need the money at this point, and nobody out there is going to make that much more of an impact over what they can get from Bell this year.. You had bell through his rookie season, franchise tagged him twice, and overworked him and burnt through his likely best years with no long term commitment. Bell can't just play like crap because he still has next year's contract to worry about, so even on the tag, he's going to have to go out there and beast it. 

Though the interest is real, I don't think that this is the route that they go unless they have some sort of trade worked out for Bell (which seems unlikely since they have also been talking extension). I've had LVE penciled in to them for a while now if he's still there. They can't feel like Shazier is ever going to play again, so finding a replacement there is going to be huge. 

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

so is there an alternative universe where they rescind the franchise tag on Bell?

I'm pretty suire their thinking is that they've got Bell only for this year.  Good for them because they're a playoff team and can use him.  But he's pretty beat up after all he's done these past few years and will want bigger bucks than the would be worth when compared to what a guy like Guice can give them on a rookie contract. Maybe they see him as a backup to Bel lthis year and then stepping in next year ready to go and their running game being as good as ever even after Bell leaves.

I was already high on Derwin James potentially being the pick just based off talent and need alone. But after reading Ward will get a shot at CB this off-season...I'm even more convinced he'll be the pick if available.

7 hours ago, sherm said:
I was already high on Derwin James potentially being the pick just based off talent and need alone. But after reading Ward will get a shot at CB this off-season...I'm even more convinced he'll be the pick if available.

Unless they see James as a CB, I dont see him being the guy@9. Too many holes elsewhere and safety is arguably our deepest, most talented position with Tartt, Ward, and Colbert. Not to mention I really like Chancellor James's potential long-term also. Plus I dont think he's a top ten talent. Top ten athlete yes but his tape isnt the greatest IMO. 

Archived