2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

7 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Almost always, Adrian Peterson aside, the best RB is not the first one taken. I don't see the value in a first round RB unless you're picking in the last 10 picks and RB is your lone need.

I get what your saying but would it have bothered you in the least if we had selected Frank Gore in the 1st? If he hadn't have had his knee injuries we would have... or rather someone else would have. If you get a HOF player in round 1, I wouldn't care what the position they play are. Frank might not be an NFL HOFer, but he will be in my eyes.

"He's an awesome athlete. He will not be able to play (quarterback) in this league, mark my words," an offensive coordinator said. "When he throws, he hopes." 

An offensive coordinator about Lamar Jackson. Ouch. 

Frank will be a Hall of Famer, and he's precisely the point. Three RBs went in the top 5 that year (as Aaron Rodgers plummeted). Gore has more yards/TDs than all 3 combined. Next year, we were supposedly in the Reggie Bush bowl, and he didn't perform nearly as well as Jones-Drew.

I'm not sure if you know, but RB is my favorite position. I've always loved RBs, my favorite players have always been the RB (Craig, Watters, Hearst, Garner, Gore - even mostly in an age with Montana, Rice, and Young). But I know they aren't going to take you anywhere on their own. You're better suited looking at other positions early and grabbing a super talented RB in the 2nd or 3rd, of which there are generally plenty.

So Mayock will be releasing his only mock draft tonight. No mock draft is accurate, and that goes for Mayock as well, but he does have a history of being one of the more accurate mockers over the last 5 years, so if he has us taking McGlinchey, be concerned lol

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

So Mayock will be releasing his only mock draft tonight. No mock draft is accurate, and that goes for Mayock as well, but he does have a history of being one of the more accurate mockers over the last 5 years, so if he has us taking McGlinchey, be concerned lol

Lol if he does have McG I will be livid.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

So if we stay at 9, who are your three most likely selections for the niners? Not the guys you want us to draft, but the guy you think we will. I'd probably say: 

1. Smith

2. Edmunds

3. Minkah

Partly hope.

1. Edmunds

2. Landry

3. Smith

Or the absolute dream would be if Nelson was there.

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

I think he and DJ are two of the most accurate mock draft people out there. 

Here's actually a link that was shared in the draft forum. Unfortunately, it's incomplete as it only grades out submissions, so some very notable people (Kiper, McShay, etc) aren't included. I like this one because the points are based solely on the team selecting the player and the pick selected at. 

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/mock.scores.shtml

There is another one that grades out the media experts, but I'm not as big of a fan because they grade out and give points for being within 2 selections of the correct choice, and I don't necessarily feel that is a good way to measure "accuracy" of mock drafts because it should be about the teams - not the players. Here is the link to that one. 

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017/5/1/15493170/grading-the-2017-nfl-mock-drafts-judgment-day-for-kiper-mcshay-mayock

Crazy how well Greg Cote did last year - when you listen to him on Lebatard, he sounds like he's off in his own little world lol

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maiocco just mocked us McGlinchey and mentioned again the Niners are reluctant to give Brown a long term deal. 

Welp, get ready fellas, it's gonna happen…… 

Yup I was about to post this 

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-seven-round-nfl-mock-draft-will-team-protect-jimmy-garoppolo?amp&__twitter_impression=true

First round (No. 9): OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame
The 49ers invested greatly in quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo. It would make a lot of sense if the 49ers put a plan in place to keep him protected for the foreseeable future. McGlinchey (6-8, 310) is widely considered the top offensive tackle in the draft. He is smart enough to learn multiple positions as a rookie. He could start off at guard and swing tackle before transitioning to a starting tackle spot at the proper time. Right tackle Trent Brown is scheduled for unrestricted free agency, and the 49ers appear reluctant to present him with a lucrative, long-term contract offer. Six-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Staley turns 34 during training camp

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Maiocco just mocked us McGlinchey and mentioned again the Niners are reluctant to give Brown a long term deal. 

Welp, get ready fellas, it's gonna happen…… 

So terrible. Just awful. After what I consider a questionable free agency period, I'm going to start to have serious concerns moving forward. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Frank will be a Hall of Famer, and he's precisely the point. Three RBs went in the top 5 that year (as Aaron Rodgers plummeted). Gore has more yards/TDs than all 3 combined. Next year, we were supposedly in the Reggie Bush bowl, and he didn't perform nearly as well as Jones-Drew.

I'm not sure if you know, but RB is my favorite position. I've always loved RBs, my favorite players have always been the RB (Craig, Watters, Hearst, Garner, Gore - even mostly in an age with Montana, Rice, and Young). But I know they aren't going to take you anywhere on their own. You're better suited looking at other positions early and grabbing a super talented RB in the 2nd or 3rd, of which there are generally plenty.

Yeah, I was a huge Garrison Hearst fan too... and Ricky Watters, but he wasn't around long enough to really be cemented in my all time favorites. Same thing with Garner. Young (Steve, not Bryant though hes on a top idk list too) was my favorite niner, but I have a lot of running back love too.

My main point with the it was while I agree in positional and round value in the draft, sometimes the individual overrides it. And I actually believe that RBs are kind of having a comeback as far as draft value with the success of Leanord and and Zeke. And while I am a UGA homer too, Barkley is the best back and will instantly make his new team a lot better no matter who else they have on the roster. I think Sony, while I love him is kind of getting overvalued a bit with Kamara's success last year and Chubb is going to make some GM look pretty smart.

Archived