Bears now own #1 overall (via Carolina).... Fields + trade downs vs Williams/Maye etc.

Epyon

40 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just think with the existence of Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels it will lower what the Bears can get. I mean, unless you end up with an owner like Tepper who's enamored with moving up for a QB prospect and I just don't see it. If I had to guess what happens the Bears move down with us pick up a 3rd and 4th this year and a 3rd next year and then move down again with the Pats who give up similar picks and then they take either Fashanu or MHJ at third. I could totally be wrong here but I just don't see a team doing what the Panthers did.

I mean, not every team that wants Caleb Williams will also evaluate Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels as worth it for them.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

@Epyon Maybe you should make a poll? 

It terms of what they should do 

And I love Justin Fields, but they should trade him. Pick up a 2024 second rounder and then 2025 conditional similar to the Rodgers trade. 

You draft Caleb. I love Justin, but Caleb is twice the QB prospect Justin was coming out. It just is what it is. Don't overthink it.  

And then with their regular first rounder I'm trying to trade up for Marvin, Nabers, Olashonu, or Joe Alt. If I can't get one of them I'm going Bryan Thomas Jr or Odunze. 

That simple. Don't overthink this Chicago. 

Didn't make a poll because figured people would come up with options not explicitly listed and get more free form opinions/answers from people.

Personally, I'm on the draft Caleb train...... but there's complicating factors in that the locker room absolutely LOVES Fields and there's some intriguing possibilities when you start looking at taking players, instead of just picks.

For example, if Las Vegas wants to move, I'm not even taking their call unless Crosby is on the table.

For Atlanta, I'd want some combination of Bijan or Pitts, and Lindstrom etc...    (which is extremely unlikely they'd cripple their offense with a rookie qb coming in)  

Washington it gets a bit trickier since they'd be moving less.... I really like McLaurin, but he's already on the older side, maybe Jonathan Allen?

I'd also say that despite me personally thinking it's a no brainer decision for Caleb, I actually see the staff/team wanting to roll with Fields.

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just think with the existence of Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels it will lower what the Bears can get. I mean, unless you end up with an owner like Tepper who's enamored with moving up for a QB prospect and I just don't see it. If I had to guess what happens the Bears move down with us pick up a 3rd and 4th this year and a 3rd next year and then move down again with the Pats who give up similar picks and then they take either Fashanu or MHJ at third. I could totally be wrong here but I just don't see a team doing what the Panthers did.

I like both Maye and Daniels. They aren’t Caleb. I guarantee you the Bears can get a massive haul for pick 1.

I would never trade up massively, but teams do it every year. 

Fields has been shafted by Bears top brass but I'm still on the train that the best move would be to back up the Brinks truck for Harbaugh and let him pick his QB.

If Poles keeps Eberflus the pick 100% needs to be traded. Load the team up for Fields in 2024 or the new QB in 2025 if he isn't the guy. But stop drafting and wasting a rookie QBs year just to change the HC and system in his 2nd year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TankWilliams said:

I mean, not every team that wants Caleb Williams will also evaluate Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels as worth it for them.

I think Caleb is better than Maye. I don't think he's so much better that Washington will give up a 2nd this year and a 1 in 2025 to move up one spot. Two thirds and a 4th I could see and if the Bears don't want that I think we'd just take Maye. Maybe New England does it, who knows?

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Williams is in another tier than both those guys, i think Maye is overrated and Daniels i'm not sure a i buy the top 5 pick hype.

1 minute ago, RandomCampBody said:

Williams is in another tier than both those guys, i think Maye is overrated and Daniels i'm not sure a i buy the top 5 pick hype.

I mean, I agree with you that Williams is above Maye. I don't necessarily think Maye is overrated but I'm not his biggest fan. I just don't think Washington or New England gives up a first and second to move up one or two spots when you have Maye and Daniels available. And with that said, if Chicago likes MHJ they almost certainly have to trade with one of those two to still get him. 

I mean, all of this depends on who Chicago actually wants? If its Williams all of this is moot. But if they want MHJ my guess is they move down first with Washington and then down to 3 with New England. Chicago picks up three thirds and a couple 4ths in the process and still lands the guy they want. Chicago could theoretically trade down with some team foaming at the mouth for Williams (possibly Atlanta) but that absolutely moves you out of MHJ and even Nabors territory. It all depends on what Poles feels the most valuable play is. But what I think ultimately happens is Williams goes to Washington, Maye to New England and Harrison Jr to the Bears. 

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I like both Maye and Daniels. They aren’t Caleb. I guarantee you the Bears can get a massive haul for pick 1.

I would never trade up massively, but teams do it every year. 

But who makes the trade up? I can't see the Giants doing it one year after paying Jones so that leaves you with Atlanta and Oakland. Are the Bears going to be willing to move that far back? Obviously we don't know that and maybe they are but at some point you're simply trading away from the best talent in the draft and Atlanta almost certainly won't be picking in the top 10 with better QB play in that bad division. I think its tougher this year to make a similar trade to the one they did last year especially when you factor in Tepper being the wildcard. The Bears absolutely took the Panthers to the cleaners in that trade and I don't see most other teams with an owner with common sense doing something similar. 

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

For example, if Las Vegas wants to move, I'm not even taking their call unless Crosby is on the table.

I just can’t see the Raiders including Crosby in any kind of trade conversation. I know Gruden made a similar move in trading Mack a few years back, but while on a similar talent level, Crosby is more of a ‘heart & soul of the team’ player than Mack ever was.

I think there’s more chance the Raiders try to trade for Fields than try to move up to #1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Washington it gets a bit trickier since they'd be moving less.... I really like McLaurin, but he's already on the older side, maybe Jonathan Allen?

Bears would probably prefer Payne given age and contract. 

50 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But what I think ultimately happens is Williams goes to Washington, Maye to New England and Harrison Jr to the Bears. 

Yeah, agree if the standings remain the same and the Bears decide to keep Fields.

Reading between the lines, I think the Williams camp will be pushing for him to get drafted by his hometown team. Not sure how much sway they will ultimately have though.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

But who makes the trade up? I can't see the Giants doing it one year after paying Jones so that leaves you with Atlanta and Oakland. Are the Bears going to be willing to move that far back? Obviously we don't know that and maybe they are but at some point you're simply trading away from the best talent in the draft and Atlanta almost certainly won't be picking in the top 10 with better QB play in that bad division. I think its tougher this year to make a similar trade to the one they did last year especially when you factor in Tepper being the wildcard. The Bears absolutely took the Panthers to the cleaners in that trade and I don't see most other teams with an owner with common sense doing something similar. 

I guarantee you all of those teams you mentioned make calls. Atlanta, NYG, NE, and Oakland. Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Washington are also gonna be inquiring, but are probably way too far away to get to 1. 

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Bears would probably prefer Payne given age and contract. 

Yeah, agree if the standings remain the same and the Bears decide to keep Fields.

Reading between the lines, I think the Williams camp will be pushing for him to get drafted by his hometown team. Not sure how much sway they will ultimately have though.

If I were Chicago, I would demand that Ricky Stromberg be part of any Washington trade. They desperately need a C & I think Stromberg is gonna be a good 1. 

10 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I guarantee you all of those teams you mentioned make calls. Atlanta, NYG, NE, and Oakland. Pittsburgh, Minnesota, and Washington are also gonna be inquiring, but are probably way too far away to get to 1. 

Washington has the 2nd pick my dude. 

8 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

If I were Chicago, I would demand that Ricky Stromberg be part of any Washington trade. They desperately need a C & I think Stromberg is gonna be a good 1. 

We basically don’t have a center if we move Stromberg. Gates is awful. I just don’t think the Bears are getting picks and players to move down one spot dude.