Bears now own #1 overall (via Carolina).... Fields + trade downs vs Williams/Maye etc.

Epyon

So Chicago now has #1 locked up, and the Chicago forums/social media universe are already in a full civil war over what to do with the pick.

So draft forumites, I ask you, what wrench does Chicago throw into the QB draft this year?

In corner A: Keep Fields, Trade down to 2 or 3, and Take Marvin Harrison Jr   (Washington or New England..... and what compensation do you think that small a move nets?)

In corner B:  Keep Fields, Trade down big  9-11 (currently Falcons and Las Vegas) but presumably get some kind of a massive haul not unlike what decimated Carolina's future last year.

In corner C :   Trade Fields (what compensation would you expect?) and take Caleb/Maye themselves?

Curious too hear opinions from outside the Chicago fandom on what you think they should do, what you expect them to do, and what kind of compensation they are potentially looking at?

If I were the GM in Chicago, I would trade Fields to the highest bidder and draft my QB1. Unless I’m sure I have a bonafide top 5 QB in this league, I am drafting a blue-chip QB prospect at every opportunity. When you factor in the 5 years of cost control you have with a rookie QB vs. the 2 years you have remaining with Fields, it’s really a no-brainer to me regardless of how well Fields has played lately.

I think it’s too early to predict compensation at this point. It really depends on who finishes where. For example, if the Patriots win next week, the Cardinals move up into the top 3. That puts Washington in a very advantageous position if both Chicago and Arizona really want MHJ… they’d have to give up less compensation if Chicago wants to ensure they can draft MHJ. 

I do think Fields would probably command a second or two thirds if they decide to trade him, but that depends on the roster landscape a few months from now and who is in desperate need of a QB1 and won’t be able to draft or sign one. 

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 4

They’re in a weird spot. I feel like Fields has shown JUST enough to be intrigued. I would trade the pick I think. They’re gonna get a war chest of picks for it and can still get the #1 player in the class. Hard to imagine them sucking with MH and DJ Moore catching passes. Plus, they will be adding other high-profile rookies to their team via the rest of the draft. And they have FA $. 

FYI:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bears-trading-justin-fields-gms-explain-why-its-the-best-route-and-where-compensation-could-land-153257987.html

How much would Fields command on the trade market at this point?

GM one: A second-round and fourth-round pick, pending a “good finish” to the season.

GM two: A second-round pick, pending a “strong finish” to the season.

GM three: A third-round pick, plus another late-round pick that could escalate one round based on performance.

GM four: One third-round pick in the 2024 draft, one fourth-round pick in the 2025 draft.

GM five: A third-round pick or a second-round draft pick for Fields, plus a late-round pick back from the Bears.

GMs six and seven had the same proposal: A third-round pick, pending the finish of this season.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'd trade Fields for only a third round pick. But if the team thinks Williams (or someone else) is a can't miss star, I'd still take him and let him sit behind Fields for a year. I'm sure Fields would be outraged and maybe demand a trade after that anyway. It's a tricky situation and I agree the most likely outcome is the Bears trade down from #1 and go forward with Fields, because he's a prototypical Bears QB, just good enough to not be good enough.

Honestly, I think the right answer is to pursue both options and see what the offers look like.

If a team is offering what GM #1 said for Fields and the offers for the #1 pick aren't great, then you trade Fields and draft Williams.

If the offers for Fields are closer to a 3rd round pick while getting another Carolina-esque haul, you take that offer and run with Fields again even if you move out of range for MHJ as the long-term benefits for the organization.

• Like 4

@Epyon Maybe you should make a poll? 

It terms of what they should do 

And I love Justin Fields, but they should trade him. Pick up a 2024 second rounder and then 2025 conditional similar to the Rodgers trade. 

You draft Caleb. I love Justin, but Caleb is twice the QB prospect Justin was coming out. It just is what it is. Don't overthink it.  

And then with their regular first rounder I'm trying to trade up for Marvin, Nabers, Olashonu, or Joe Alt. If I can't get one of them I'm going Bryan Thomas Jr or Odunze. 

That simple. Don't overthink this Chicago. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Keep Fields.

Trade #1 to NE for #3, 2nd, and future 1sts.

Draft:

#3-Marvin Harrison WR

#9-Brock Bowers TE

2nd-JT Tuimolau DE

3rd-Sedrick Van Pran C

3rd-Christian Braswell DE

I like that, though I hope they'd adapt their offense to run a lot of 2 TE sets because Kmet has played well.  Can't pass up Bowers though.

57 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Keep Fields.

Trade #1 to NE for #3, 2nd, and future 1sts.

Draft:

#3-Marvin Harrison WR

#9-Brock Bowers TE

2nd-JT Tuimolau DE

3rd-Sedrick Van Pran C

3rd-Christian Braswell DE

I just think with the existence of Drake Maye and Jayden Daniels it will lower what the Bears can get. I mean, unless you end up with an owner like Tepper who's enamored with moving up for a QB prospect and I just don't see it. If I had to guess what happens the Bears move down with us pick up a 3rd and 4th this year and a 3rd next year and then move down again with the Pats who give up similar picks and then they take either Fashanu or MHJ at third. I could totally be wrong here but I just don't see a team doing what the Panthers did.