Week 18- Packers vs. Bears regular season finale

Refugee

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Watching this live, this was the play of the game from Love for me. The throw a few plays later to Kraft also very impressive, but this was the "3rd and 2-inside your own 10-can't punt it back to the Bears-game on the line" play and Love throws a bullet on the money to Reed in bracketed coverage. Masterful. 

Absolute dime. The toss to Muskgrave just before to get us out of the hole was fantastic use of personnel. Guy only has 8 snaps but call him when you need him.  12 and 22 packages should be fun over the next several years. 

Edited by Refugee

5 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Absolute dime. The toss to Muskgrave just before to get us out of the hole was fantastic use of personnel. Guy only has 8 snaps but call him when you need him.  12 and 22 packages should be fun over the next several years. 

Assuming we are solid at offensive line going forward, I can't imagine trying to stop this offense. 

It really won't matter who is on the field, you have six WRs who are productive, 2 TEs and then Jones and probably a rookie RB. I'm hoping for Braelon Allen. He's going to be what Gute thought he was getting with Dillon. 

Love is going to be the conductor of the orchestra and it is going to be sweet! 

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

This is no surprise.  Dallas has been ridiculous at home.  I think Love and company will play well but our defensive fellas better tighten their chin straps.  It will all depend upon what D will Barry bring.

They've been ridiculous overall, but I'm focused on two of their last three home games, both against better competition. They beat Seattle 41-35 in a game where Seattle's offense took whatever they wanted all night against the Dallas defense and they beat Detroit 20-19 in a game where Campbell simply threw the game away with his coaching decisions. 

Cowboys are beatable, even at home. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Jones.  Night and day different how everything looks with him in the backfield.  I don't care who we draft as RB2 or RB3, but that kid needs to have acceleration and vision.  Jones is a huge difference maker.

The whole running game is way better than when we were forced to turn to Dillon during the OL and Offense's worst stretch.

Dillon also had a nice game in there vs KC.

I'm just not sold on the "we need Jones he is a special player" narrative.  I think Dillon is underwhelming, Jones is definitely good.  But mostly the run production and improvement is OL oriented.  I think we would be doing just fine with devin singletary or Jaylen Warren or a number of other similar backs.

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

The whole running game is way better than when we were forced to turn to Dillon during the OL and Offense's worst stretch.

Dillon also had a nice game in there vs KC.

I'm just not sold on the "we need Jones he is a special player" narrative.  I think Dillon is underwhelming, Jones is definitely good.  But mostly the run production and improvement is OL oriented.  I think we would be doing just fine with devin singletary or Jaylen Warren or a number of other similar backs.

I tend to agree here. I 100% of the time invest resources into the OL before RB for a host of reasons. RBs should be plug and play or you're doing it wrong.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I tend to agree here. I 100% of the time invest resources into the OL before RB for a host of reasons. RBs should be plug and play or you're doing it wrong.

I love jones but he is expensive!  He's making Derrick Henry money next year.

Only saves 5M to cut him, but I really wish they found a way to move him this year when he was more palatable.  Maybe they will extend him another year to smooth out the cap hit, but I hate the idea of clinging to an older more injury prone Jones just because he does things well.  He's a part time player now and needs to be treated like it.

This is a pretty stacked top end veteran FA class with barkley, Henry, Josh Jacobs, and Tony Pollard (maybe belongs in 2nd group)  

The middle of the class is solid and thick too with Gus edwards, singletary, d'andre swift, JK dobbins, AJ dillon, Zack Moss, D'Onta Foreman, Zeke. 

Jones probably fits in at the top of that second group in terms of the contract he would earn on the open market.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

Only saves 5M to cut him, but I really wish they found a way to move him this year when he was more palatable.  Maybe they will extend him another year to smooth out the cap hit, but I hate the idea of clinging to an older more injury prone Jones just because he does things well.  He's a part time player now and needs to be treated like it.

This is a pretty stacked top end veteran FA class with barkley, Henry, Josh Jacobs, and Tony Pollard (maybe belongs in 2nd group)  

The middle of the class is solid and thick too with Gus edwards, singletary, d'andre swift, JK dobbins, AJ dillon, Zack Moss, D'Onta Foreman, Zeke. 

Jones probably fits in at the top of that second group in terms of the contract he would earn on the open market.

They'll do something with Jones's contract and he'll be back.  I think he's too valuable to this team to part ways when he's still got tread on those tires.  We're a different team with him back there.  We need to draft the back of the future, and then manage Jones a bit until the home stretch.  Then as they are doing this year .. cut that man loose.  We haven't even seen some of the creative stuff he can do in the passing game.  It's coming!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

They'll do something with Jones's contract and he'll be back.  I think he's too valuable to this team to part ways when he's still got tread on those tires.  We're a different team with him back there.  We need to draft the back of the future, and then manage Jones a bit until the home stretch.  Then as they are doing this year .. cut that man loose.  We haven't even seen some of the creative stuff he can do in the passing game.  It's coming!

I agree that he will be back next year because of his current deal, but I'm worried about keeping him any longer than that.  Soon he will be older and expensive and all of a sudden a bad player.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I agree that he will be back next year because of his current deal, but I'm worried about keeping him any longer than that.  Soon he will be older and expensive and all of a sudden a bad player.

I see it the same way and feel like it was a miss not to have a second talented RB developing to replace him either of the the past two seasons. With that being said, his leadership has been a huge value with this young team and took at least a little off of Love’s shoulders as he was finding his voice. If he’s back and overpaid next season at least you can feel good that one of the good guys won. Strictly business, we need another young talent and probably a few lottery tickets to develop. At some point we need to stop kicking that contract down the road because age hits everyone but especially RBs with the wear and tear they receive. 

18 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I love him too

When he plays

But he's also a stellar teammate, the type of man I don't mind somewhat overpaying because he brings more value to the club than just his onfield contributions.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

As long as that running back is quick and decisive, like Jones.  I don't care about the long speed, gimme that short speed.

Dillon just takes a hair longer hitting those holes and they plug.  Jones is there faster and that is all it takes.

Zero issue running it back with Jones and then drafting a guy or two.  I just want the quicker back instead of the larger back.

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I love him too

When he plays

But he's also a stellar teammate, the type of man I don't mind somewhat overpaying because he brings more value to the club than just his onfield contributions.

I feel like they made their bed here 2 years ago when they dumbly extended him along with Rodgers.  They should have gone year to year on him but they wanted to create space and they used Jones to do it.  Same deal with preston smith.

It's comical that these guys cost what they do next year, but there's not a ton of options unless they can trade them.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

As long as that running back is quick and decisive, like Jones.  I don't care about the long speed, gimme that short speed.

Dillon just takes a hair longer hitting those holes and they plug.  Jones is there faster and that is all it takes.

Zero issue running it back with Jones and then drafting a guy or two.  I just want the quicker back instead of the larger back.

I want a guy w/ vision, quickness, durability and pass-blocking ability

• Like 1

I'm normally not one for paying good money to a running back but the rest of the skill position groups are SO cheap I think it's perfectly OK to keep him on the contract he has. 

Assuming we draft RBs instead of grabbing one in FA Our entire WR, TE, and RB rooms outside of Jones combined should have a cap hit roughly around $12 million (the Alan Lazard Zay Jones range). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

22 packages (one true WR) just look strange, even though there are still 5 possible receiving targets - if you don't count the infamous "Green Bay QB passes to himself !" plays - 🙂

Edited by OneTwoSixFive