Week 18- Packers vs. Bears regular season finale

Refugee

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

Hard to match prior passing game use when jones is only in a portion of the snaps on the season.  From 2019 to 2022, jones averaged around 600 snap per year.  2023, jones is at 305 snaps with 1 game to play.  So jones is going to be about 60% of his previous average in snaps.  Yet his targets in those prior 4 years averaged around 69 per season and in 2023 he is at 38 targets with 1 game to go. So pretty similar in % difference in snaps and targets mostly due to jones injuries in 2023

I definitely agree and said the same thing about the injuries. With that being said, I still think Love is not there yet when it comes to feeding the beast in the screen game. I’m not saying he can’t get there, just that he is not yet the surgeon AR was in getting 33 the ball, which is comparing him to a HOFer so it’s not a criticism as much as something to work on. I don’t think he hits his RBs as well yet but have no doubt there will be improvement. 

9 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I definitely agree and said the same thing about the injuries. With that being said, I still think Love is not there yet when it comes to feeding the beast in the screen game. I’m not saying he can’t get there, just that he is not yet the surgeon AR was in getting 33 the ball, which is comparing him to a HOFer so it’s not a criticism as much as something to work on. I don’t think he hits his RBs as well yet but have no doubt there will be improvement. 

Throwing screen passes was not Rodgers strength, not even close. Brett Favre was a master at the screen game. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Throwing screen passes was not Rodgers strength, not even close. Brett Favre was a master at the screen game. 

Favre was great at it, I think it was Holmgren who really dialed him in on it because it took him a few years. AR needed to learn to take a few degrees off of it, too on those short passes. I think Jordan will also learn. Some of the dimes AR dropped to his RBs weren’t even screens, just good in rhythm throws and knowledge of where the defense was or, more accurately, was not so the catch was made in stride and with an advantage in leverage. The same awareness made AR a dangerous runner even as an old guy. 

12 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I would take the rookie qb at 1 and try to hit the home run. 

But I think keeping fields and building with the picks they can get for 1... could be more annoying for the packers.

Fields is the Joe Barry of QBs.

Well, better than that but similar in that his ceiling is "just OK" - I see him as a player who can single-handedly win a few games but won't consistently get it done enough to make your team a yearly contender.

7 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I know none of us care about the pro bowl, but am curious if getting snubbed is motivation for the entire locker room. 

God I want this win so bad

If MLF has the team on the precipice of the playoffs with zero red-chip talent, does get him consideration for coach of the year?

4 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I would take the qb if I'm the bears. 

But the Fields path is the most likely path to create an 8-12 win team consistently which is a thorn in the division and NFC race.

But if the bears trade down 2x and totally load up on picks they seem pretty bust proof.  Even if Fields doesn't get much better.

I'd say Chi going forward with Fields is in the 6-10 win range annually, but with Fields there's always the fear he'll bust loose on you at any time.

7 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

If MLF has the team on the precipice of the playoffs with zero red-chip talent, does get him consideration for coach of the year?

This illustrates a great point IMO

I was just thinking how big this game is for MLF (to me). 

If he wins, I'll be really satisfied with that season and optimistic he got this young and injured team into the playoffs in year 1. Anything positive beyond week 18 is a cherry on top.

If he loses, I'll bemoan his inability to harness all the raw talent on this team and decision to keep Joe Barry around which really crushed our chances of making the playoffs.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

He'd be deserving of consideration, but you don't win coach of the year by winning 1 more game than the year before. DeMeco Ryans in Houston has taken a 3 win time to 9 wins so far in Houston. That's probably your winner.  

1 hour ago, Brat&Beer said:

He'd be deserving of consideration, but you don't win coach of the year by winning 1 more game than the year before. DeMeco Ryans in Houston has taken a 3 win time to 9 wins so far in Houston. That's probably your winner.  

Winning more with a first year starter than a back to back MVP 2 of his last 4 years? Should definitely be in consideration when there's no star power on the team. 

Win? Probably not, you're right. But he should be getting some shine. If he had fired Barry last offseason maybe he does get it.

9 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

Is devondre Campbell supposed to play this weekend? I didn't see him on the injury report... just not sure if I missed something there or not 

He’s been FP all week and by all indications should play. It will help if he and Quay can use their speed to limit Fields from breaking big runs and playing captain checkdown. That’s assuming he’s healthy enough to put his back into it on his tackles. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The last time that Rodgers was good at the screen pass was when we had Eddie Lacy.  It is probably a bit of Rodgers not being great at it, and Jones not being as good as you'd think he should be at it.  

Can we all just collectively say Jordan is doing well. Like I was the biggest Rodgers homer in 2009, people we're telling me he's no Joe cool or Matty Ice and I literally laughed at them for not knowing football. Love is hands down the only QB I would want my team to have right now, and whatever that means on Sunday is irrelevant. We're in a rebuilding year and the Bears only solace is to keep us out of the playoffs in a rebuilding year. It's literally nothing like the Lions last year, it's gonna be in your face Bears fans for another 15 years.

• Like 1