BDL Discussion Thread 2024

1 minute ago, adamq said:

I am very intrigued I'll say that. I probably don't have the time but I will be following!

As a co owner it doesn’t take much time. You should definitely join.

9 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

No reason for Ted to do his own preview and I need something to get me back into a BDL mindset, so let's go

Quebec Nordiques

Offseason needs : RB, C, EDGE, INT, LB, CB (x2), S, OT, G

Cap space remaining: $59,481 (accounting for latest moves out of France)

Roster spots remaining: 18

What they did so far:

1.    Extend Tua without committing

After trading for what would become their Bizz Bowl winning QB thanks to an awesome trade partner that I'd personally recommend, Ted secured a 5th year extension early and didn't have to figure out whether Tua was worth a 3up yet - though this decision will have to come eventually.

2.    Replace bigger contracts by younger players

Quebec lost, via trade or retirement, 3 major pieces of its championship team in Aaron Donald, Lane Johnson and Quenton Nelson. This money quickly got allocated to the new defensive cornerstones of the franchise: Josh Allen, Montez Sweat and L'Jarius Sneed

3.    Get younger

After two drafts without a ton of contributors for various reasons, Quebec needed to add rookie deals and they did so via the draft and PFA by adding 12 players. Given the amount of PFAs and low round picks in that group, it remains to be seen how much those guys contribute, but Ted can hope to get some cheap and young contributors out of those guys

4.    Reinforce the DL for some reason

At a position which was already a strength, Quebec decided to spend additional ressources at EDGE by trading for Haason Reddick and Darius Robinson. While the latter can play inside, it's unclear how much Reddick actually helps that EDGE rotation. But he can maybe be a trade asset for in season action.

What remains to be done:

1.    Find a RB

Ted is in a situation he seems to know very well - deprived of a long term plan at RB. Fortunately the RB FA class if fairly strong and Quebec might find someone to replace Ekeler for the BDL champions

FA fit: Jonathan Taylor

2.    Replace Aaron Donald

While Donald individual contributions are going to be extremely hard to replace, Quebec is likely to target someone to help Osa Odighizuwa put pressure from the DT spot.

FA fit: Javon Hargrave

3.    Beef up the OL

What was a strength of Camden last year is now an uncertainty for Quebec. Lane Johnson and Quenton Nelson were certainly valuable and a line of Dawkins-Jenkins-Bozeman-Meinerz-Tom is unproven at best. Quebec will likely look to add several players; in a FA and Shark Tank, to beef up that OL.

FA fit: Mike Onwenu

4.    Add competition outside

While Quebec has startable trios at WR and CB, their third player - Shaheed and Saint-Juste respectively - can certainly be improved upon. If Quebec can find cheap players to add the mix they likely will, otherwise they might wait for Shark Tank

FA fit: Tre Hawkins III

Final assessment:

Quebec doesn't seem anywhere ready to repeat last year performance. Despite Aaron Donald unplanned retirement, the front 4 is still extremely solid, but the rest of the team needs reinforcements. They won't be able to fix every hole in FA so Quebec will have to count on some players, especially to step up this year.

@TedLavie

Next up: whatever Ted said

Appreciate it my friend. I do like my OL aside from the C spot even though I understand some of those guys don't have the name recognition of more established players

Berlin Blitzkrieg

Offseason needs : LB, CB, EDGE, G

Cap space remaining: $16,335

Roster spots remaining: 19

What they did so far:

1.    Give Stroud the keys

Last year Berlin alternated between Love and Stroud before settling on the rookie. With Stroud proving he's the dude, Berlin couldn't allocate 21K to its backup QB and made the, imho correct, decision to trade Love away. Compensation aside, the money saved and assets recouped helped forge the second biggest move of Berlin offseason ...

2.    Get Nick Bosa

Berlin main weakness is likely its lack of star power across the board. It was especially true at edge where a team of this caliber couldn't, imho, hope for Browning or Tyron to pan out and had to make other plans. Getting Nick Bosa is exactly what the doctor ordered and Berlin now boosts a formidable starting DL that will be hard to contain.

3.    Add competition in the interior OL

Berlin iOL isn't bad, but none of their starters, even Ben Powers, are locked in BDL starting positions for years and years. With three draft picks spent on the OL in Morgan, Beebe and Van Pran as well as the Bortolini pickup in PFA, Berlin has added bodies to compete and maybe offer them starting solutions sooner rather than later

4.    Get the last part of the CB trio

With Spoon locked in the CB1 spot, and Benford starting outside, the last spot of the CB trio was still open and Berlin (supposedly 😁) solved that issue by getting Terrion Arnold in the draft, leaving a starting lineup deprived of any glaring hole.

What remains to be done:

1.    Find an additional difference maker 

Berlin doesn't really have any needs. I think they got the starting 22 and, in most cases, the depth needed to go far into the BDL playoffs. But that's not what they're aiming at. To win their second Bizz Bowl, Berlin will need to rely on a few stars, and a question can be asked as to whether Berlin has enough currently. Spoon could become on as early as this year, the DL is filled with difference makers. But they could decided to focus some cap and/or assets to get maybe a tier 1 WR, another CB or maybe a LB/S next to Brooks/Winfield. FA isn't likely to provide such star power, especially with only 16K of cap, so a trade would be the solution here.

FA fit: No one really besides maaaaaybe Stefon Diggs

2.    Build depth inside the DL

I'm splitting hairs here but behind Sexy Dexy and Derrick Brown, and unless Mazi Smith vastly improves, Berlin doesn't really have anyone if an injury happens. Shark Tank will be more than enough to solve that issue however

FA fit: Grover Stewart (in Shark Tank)

Final assessment:

Thanks to their good work the previous years, Berlin didn't have a ton to do in the offseason. But they did it great by selling high on Jordan Love and then using some of the assets to get Nick Bosa. That's a smart piece of business for Rags and Malf and Berlin is, as I said in the previous preview, one of the three big favorites this year imho. With their lack of overall needs, I don't expect them to be super active in this Free Agency and instead focus on maybe a couple of low salary bets, Shark Tank, and maybe saving some money for upcoming deals / in season trades.

@Ragnarok

Next up: the Cancun Beach Resorts

• Like 6

Cancun Kaiju

Offseason needs : WR, TE, RT, OG, OC, NT, LB, CB, EDGE

Cap space remaining: $53,535

Roster spots remaining: 11

What they did so far:

1.    Listen to people !

The biggest surprise of the offseason was Blue actually listening to people and make steps to improve Cancun WR corps. And that they did by adding a 2nd weapon of the caliber of DK Metcalf. Now with Olave, Metcalf and Wicks, Cancun seems to have a legit starting WR trio for the first time since I came back to BDL at least.

2.    Rejuvenate the OL

With Bakhtiari and Kelly gone, Cancun had to do something on the OL. Tunsil was obviously 3upped but Cancun used the draft to get Patrick Paul, who may get a chance at RT, and JPJ who is already the starter at C. I don't know if that's enough but can't blame Cancun for not addressing the unit

3.    Reinforce the RB room

Another surprising part of Cancun offseason is them electing to keep Aaron Jones for his last contract year. With a 9K cap hit I was expecting Aaron Jones to be released but Blue decided to keep his tandem with Stevenson alive. But they weren't content with that as they added Jonathan Brooks, who many believe to be the best RB of the this draft class. They should find among those three the running production to carry a BDL squad.

What remains to be done:

1.    Get a starting TE

While the days of Blue trying to convince us that Michael Mayer was worth a starting spot in BDL were fun, they're likely to be over with Bowers drafted by the Raiders. Unfortunately, the FA options at the position are a bit limited so maybe Cancun would have better luck exploring the trade market (hello RG). Either way, they absolutely need to get one, maybe even two, guys at the position.

FA fit: Cole Kmet

2.    Get some corner help

The three 2023 Cancun starters (Tre White, Cam Sutton and Steven Nelson) are all gone. While Jack Jones, with his legal troubles behind him, might be a very viable option for one of the starting spot, and Cancun doesn't use a slot CB per say, I don't think Zyon McCollum can be counted on as a starting BDL corner. I expect Cancun to be very aggressive in Free Agency to pursue who they feel is the best corner in the FA pool.

FA fit: Steven Nelson

3.    Sign interior offensive linemen

Cancun projected interior OL is currently Cordell Volson - JPJ - Zion Johnson. One of them is a rookie, the other two are minus starters in BDL. And given the RT spot is also unconvincing right now, getting help is going to be paramount. Getting insurance at C would be nice, but the priority is likely to get a top G so that Zion/Volson can compete for the other starting spot. Thankfully the G FA class is strong and Cancun will get many opportunities to get it right.

FA fit: Isaac Seumalo

4.    Get aggressive on the DL

Despite what Mwil has tried to sell us, the Rousseau/Thibs edge duo, while certainly not a weakness, isn't anything special at the BDL level. Both players are young and have a chance to keep on improving, but the recent release of Cam Jordan created a hole in the EDGE rotation. To compete for a title, I think Cancun needs another difference maker along the DL - at EDGE or on the interior. With a lot of cap space, limited roster spots left and limited needs, they will get the chance to go after those luxury pickups.

FA fit: Shaq Barrett

Final assessment:

Cancun has the basics of a contender: the best player in the world, a good WR room, solid RBs, a great LT, a solid DL and some very good pieces in the back 7. They have more holes than the other two big favorites we talked about in Berlin and Anchorage, but they also have a lot more cap space so that makes sense. With 53K of cap, only 11 roster spots left and not a lot of needs in terms of depth, Blue and Mwil can focus on the top of this FA pool to get starters at OG, CB, TE, possibly LB2 and get another DLineman.

@Blue @MWil23

Next up: The Miami Cubans

• Like 7

For all the new People this is how FA will work and its posted in every OP for each week of FA.

If anyone has additional questions post them and I will try to answer. 

The hardest part for new Owners and veterans alike to get is Salary vs Contract.

Salary equals the per year amount a player will be receiving.

So if a player is making $10M in Avg Salary (per Spotrac). The min salary you must offer is $5,000.

Total Contract is the years multiplied by the Salary.

So you want the above player for 3 years you would offer them a 3 year $15,000 contract.

If you wanted the player for 5 years (the max) you would have to offer that player a min contract of 5 years $30,000 ($6,000/yr) in order to meet the 60% min threshold for a 5 year deal.

Basic Rules
Free Agent Deals and Extensions can range from 2 to 5 years.
If a multiple year contract the lowest yearly salary is $501
A team’s active bids may not exceed the salary cap.
In FA a player will continue to be bid on until 48 hours has elapsed from the previous bid. The initial bid has to be within the week of that position groups free agency period. The Deadline to make new initial bids is 11:59PM EST of the Friday during that week's free agency period.

If an offer stands for 48 hours without a new bid then that player will automatically be signed by the winning team and locked on to your roster for the current year. You cannot take a bid back so please bid accordingly and make sure you have the cap space. Please try not to edit your posts as we will be using the timestamp for bid verification. If you do edit your edit time will be the official start time of the bid.

Average Salary

• The League Minimum is $501 per year.  
  • Any bids on FA players must be a minimum of 2 years. 
  • Any bid on a player has to maintain a 50% basis of their real life salary
  • To be a 4 year contract, salary has to be greater than $1,500
  • To be a 5 year contract, salary has to be greater than $2,000 and maintain a 60% basis of their real life salary.

Total Contract

•  For contract totals that are $5,000 and under the current offer needs to be beaten by at least $250.
  • For contract greater than or equal to $5,000 but less than $10,000 the current offer needs to be beaten by at least $500.
  • For contracts greater than or equal to $10,000 but less than $20,000 the current offer needs to be beaten by at least $1,000
  • Contracts greater than or equal to $20,000 the current offer must be beaten by $2,000
  • For every extra year added you must add at least 85% of the leading bids salary to the total contract size. 
  • For every year decreased in a offer in free agency, you must increase the yearly salary by 5%.
  • Like 5