BDL Discussion Thread 2024

On 5/24/2024 at 11:08 AM, Pickle Rick said:

Probably gonna get crazy with my 3 downs and final 3 up.  Decisions soon 

They'd better be real soon if you want to get them in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Week 1 of Free Agency is open.

Remember that leading bids clocks will not start until Midnight tonight but you can make bids.

Also 2024 NFL Rookies cannot be bid on until the Shark Tank in August.

There is a link at the top of the OP that goes to the player list so you can see who are FA. If a player is not listed they are still eligible to be bid on other than rookies.

List of BDL players including FA

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 3

For new owners and as a refresher. In the FA thread normally within 12 hours but in this case 24 I will Bold a player and assign a date time when the bid becomes final.

ex: RB Jonathan Taylor 5 years/$50,000 ($10,000/year) - Cancun - 6/5 00:01

Once bids become Final I will move them to the Winning Bids post and then Ted or RedGold can update the Roster Sheet with the new info.

If a new bid resets the clock I will just unbold that player and remove the time.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I didn't forget you @Pickle Rick

Greenland Polar Bears

Offseason needs : QB, RB, TE, OG, OC, S, EDGE

Cap space remaining: $50,620

Roster spots remaining: 25

What they did so far:

1.    Double dipped at QB in the draft

After trading away Tua at the deadline last year (thanks again!), Greenland was left without a QB of the future, but with the first overall pick - which they smartly used on Caleb Williams. While this was expected, it was much less expected that they double downed on the position and took JJ McCarthy in the 2nd round. Now with two top 10 picks of the last NFL draft, Greenland has a lot of promise at the position.

2.    Reloaded at WR

Greenland WR starting trio was expensive and aging. The younger of the three, CeeDee Lamb, was extended but the rest was let go as Godwin got 3 downed and Stefon Diggs was, imho smartly, not 3upped. Instead, Greenland got a steal in Michael Pittman and drafted Xavier Worthy, who I'm not necessarily a fan of but has a good opportunity to produce IRL. Those 3, with Cole Kmet at TE and Saquon at RB who got 3upped, might be Caleb weapons for the foreseeable future.

3. Cleaned up some of last year mistakes

Greenland was, rightfully, criticized last year for spending a lot of money on two aging safeties when they already had two solid players at the position and bigger fish to catch anyway. Well, both Adams and Diggs are now gone and Greenland will get an opportunity to address what went wrong last year instead of paying those guys.

What remains to be done:

1.    Beef up the interior OL, especially at C

Greenland has three established starters on the OL in Darrisaw, Slater and Trey Smith. Aaron Banks is at least starting IRL but an upgrade will be welcome. But at center, Greenland doesn't have anyone currently so they'll need to find someone at a position where a lot of people in the league need a starter. 

FA fit: Mitch Morse

2.    Replace Joey Bosa

Pickle made a big move by 3downing Joey Bosa. While he was often injured and honestly not worth his pay grade anymore, I don't think Greenland can't count on Harold Landry to replace his production on the field. So Pickle will have to find a 3rd edge to rotate with Walker and Landry.

FA fit: ... Joey Bosa?

3.    Get a 2nd safety

Adams, Diggs and Simmons left Greenland this summer. The only experienced safety Greenland has on roster is Jordan Poyer, which is obviously not enough. So finding a safety to complement Poyer is a must this offseason for Greenland, which will be easier said than done because that safety FA class isn't very good.

FA fit: Tyrann Matthieu

Final assessment:

For a team that just picked #1 overall, Greenland actually has a lot of talent. If Caleb (or JJ) have success year 1, they have a very very good offense to support him, aside from a couple of spots on the OL. Defensively they have a couple of holes but nothing a 50K enveloppe can't buy. The challenge for Pickle will be to do something he didn't last year, and which led him to pick #1 overall, and build depth. Can they get a good backup center? Can they get a NT that can rotate in and out? Can they get a CB5 who may start if a couple of guys get injured. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic about Greenland team building this year.

Edited by TedLavie
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

I didn't forget you @Pickle Rick

Greenland Polar Bears

Offseason needs : QB, RB, TE, OG, OC, S, EDGE

Cap space remaining: $50,620

Roster spots remaining: 25

What they did so far:

1.    Double dipped at QB in the draft

After trading away Tua at the deadline last year (thanks again!), Greenland was left without a QB of the future, but with the first overall pick - which they smartly used on Caleb Williams. While this was expected, it was much less expected that they double downed on the position and took JJ McCarthy in the 2nd round. Now with two top 10 picks of the last NFL draft, Greenland has a lot of promise at the position.

2.    Reloaded at WR

Greenland WR starting trio was expensive and aging. The younger of the three, CeeDee Lamb, was extended but the rest was let go as Godwin got 3 downed and Stefon Diggs was, imho smartly, not 3upped. Instead, Greenland got a steal in Michael Pittman and drafted Xavier Worthy, who I'm not necessarily a fan of but has a good opportunity to produce IRL. Those 3, with Cole Kmet at TE and Saquon at RB who got 3upped, might be Caleb weapons for the foreseeable future.

3. Cleaned up some of last year mistakes

Greenland was, rightfully, criticized last year for spending a lot of money on two aging safeties when they already had two solid players at the position and bigger fish to catch anyway. Well, both Adams and Diggs are now gone and Greenland will get an opportunity to address what went wrong last year instead of paying those guys.

What remains to be done:

1.    Beef up the interior OL, especially at C

Greenland has three established starters on the OL in Darrisaw, Slater and Trey Smith. Aaron Banks is at least starting IRL but an upgrade will be welcome. But at center, Greenland doesn't have anyone currently so they'll need to find someone at a position where a lot of people in the league need a starter. 

FA fit: Mitch Morse

2.    Replace Nick Bosa

Pickle made a big move by 3downing Nick Bosa. While he was often injured and honestly not worth his pay grade anymore, I don't think Greenland can't count on Harold Landry to replace his production on the field. So Pickle will have to find a 3rd edge to rotate with Walker and Landry.

FA fit: ... Nick Bosa?

3.    Get a 2nd safety

Adams, Diggs and Simmons left Greenland this summer. The only experienced safety Greenland has on roster is Jordan Poyer, which is obviously not enough. So finding a safety to complement Poyer is a must this offseason for Greenland, which will be easier said than done because that safety FA class isn't very good.

FA fit: Tyrann Matthieu

Final assessment:

For a team that just picked #1 overall, Greenland actually has a lot of talent. If Caleb (or JJ) have success year 1, they have a very very good offense to support him, aside from a couple of spots on the OL. Defensively they have a couple of holes but nothing a 50K enveloppe can't buy. The challenge for Pickle will be to do something he didn't last year, and which led him to pick #1 overall, and build depth. Can they get a good backup center? Can they get a NT that can rotate in and out? Can they get a CB5 who may start if a couple of guys get injured. Still, I'm cautiously optimistic about Greenland team building this year.

you mean Joey Bosa? 

On 6/4/2024 at 12:12 PM, SirA1 said:

For new owners and as a refresher. In the FA thread normally within 12 hours but in this case 24 I will Bold a player and assign a date time when the bid becomes final.

Can you confirm that the hours you put are ET?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Again for new Owners and as a refresher for FA to veterans. Midnight tonight it the cutoff for any new Initial bids on players. Any existing bids for players can be raised as normal until that process plays out.

In FA a player will continue to be bid on until 48 hours has elapsed from the previous bid. The initial bid has to be within the week of that position groups free agency period. The Deadline to make new initial bids is 11:59PM EST of the Friday during that week's free agency period.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 3:55 AM, TedLavie said:

Svalbard Miners

3.    Upgrade somewhere with a luxury signing

Svalbard has a ton of cap and realistically two or three needs (though QB is the most expensive one). Once they allocate half their cap for these two + a SS, and once they work on depth issues they have at LB, RB and NT, they should have around 20Kish left to spend. They can keep that cap to resign someone like Davonta Smith, or go after an upgrade at a position where they have a BDL starter, but not a franchise cornerstone. Whether that's for a WR3, a LT, EDGE or somewhere else is an open question. Maybe someone who was not resigned for $1 will still be a target in Free Agency?

FA fit: Jerry Jeudy

Jeudy is dead to me at this point.

While it seems everyone was all over FA RBs this week only 6 WR have received bids so far. And 3 of those were $501 guys. I guess everyone is waiting for Shark Tank to get WR because of the crazy new money being thrown around.

1) I was ecstatic to get Godwin as a true Slot WR with flexibility to play outside as well. Todd Bowles has stated he is going to be a focal point of their new offense in 2024. He filled my Buccaneers spot on the Roster and even though he may only be there one more year, the new BDL contract will likely be even more of a bargain for whatever contract he signs in 2025.

2) Gabe Davis fills a role that I didn't have as that of a tall deep threat (16.6 Avg). I drafted him so always liked him as a player and only traded him as part of a package to land Mike Evans for a playoff run in 2022. He fills my Jaguars spot now and he has stated he is happy to be back in Florida. He's always been solid numbers wise and will now be out of Diggs shadow. As a WR4 for me for a player still only 25 was glad I could lock him up at a reasonable price when several other guys are signing crazy IRL deals.

3) KaVontae Turpin was not someone I knew of a few months ago. He was primarily a returner for Dallas and was the USFL MVP in 2022. He's one of the players in the mix to take over for Gallup in Dallas. Low investment for me for a potential big return. Last year he was used sparingly as both a Runner and Receiver. 10 yd avg as a Runner and about the same as a receiver but scored 4 TDs in only 25ish touches. A tiny speed guy which I also didn't have on the roster. Surprised he's not a Firebird by now.

Edited by SirA1

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

Jeudy is dead to me at this point.

While it seems everyone was all over FA RBs this week only 6 WR have received bids so far. And 3 of those were $501 guys. I guess everyone is waiting for Shark Tank to get WR because of the crazy new money being thrown around.

Well, yeah. 9k per for Christian Kirk min. Over 11k/year for Stefon Diggs. 13k+ per for Cooper Kupp. Even somebody like Darnell Mooney is 6.5k/year as a BDL 3/4. Some pretty big initial offers for players with age/injury concerns in many cases and questions about their production ceiling.

• Like 1