Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?

49ersfan

Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders keep Antonio Pierce as their HC?

• Yes
    • No

I think he's doing a great job.

But I don't think teams should even hire defensive HCs anymore. Your OC is always going to  get plucked if you're any good, and set off a chain of events that could close a window of contention.

It seems to be much easier to replace a DC.

They missed out on doing this before when they started playing much better under Bisaccia after the whole Gruden incident. In that scenario, he actually led them to the playoffs and STILL got sacked in favor for Joshy Macdisaster. Raiders gonna Raider man.

47 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

They missed out on doing this before when they started playing much better under Bisaccia after the whole Gruden incident. In that scenario, he actually led them to the playoffs and STILL got sacked in favor for Joshy Macdisaster. Raiders gonna Raider man.

Exactly my thought and they should learn from past mistakes with hurricane McDaniels and not do that again lol

Incoming NFL News Thread: "Antonio Pierce relieved of duties, Las Vegas set to hire Brandon Staley as Head Coach"

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Surely this ought to be enough to just instantly discredit anything that follows, right? The team rallied around Pierce and bought into his messaging, and started to win games. It's a tough choice to turn your back on that and say "thanks, but no thanks".

You are missing the point. I dont care who pointed it out the fact that I couldnt or really nobody can remember many if any instance where an interim coach that was made the permanent head coach lasted for a long time for that team really is something to think about. 

16 hours ago, Duluther said:

No. He's too much of a blue collar, player's coach kind of guy. This works for the short-term "Rah rah" bit, but it won't work for implementing long-term schematics. The Raiders should get a guy who's great at the x's and o's, particularly on offense and with QB's since that's where the league is now. I wouldn't care if he makes the players feel comfortable or lets them smoke cigars after wins, if the new guy can elevate QB play, he's the right HC candidate.

3 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

Couldn’t say it better myself. 

1 hour ago, Duluther said:

Thanks, I made the post as asinine as humanly possible.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9521usfei47yngktx4o4ib

2 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Rich would not have been a good HC. Interim seasons are different as those players are rallying around the coaching change, but look at history, and 9/10 that affect wears off next season. These coaches are good at rallying players, but they are not the type of coach to install a system. Without a system, you need two amazing coordinators, and two amazing coordinators coming to work for a low-profile Head Coach probably isn’t happening. 

Edited by Tank4Drake

37 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Rich would not have been a good HC. Interim seasons are different as those players are rallying around the coaching change, but look at history, and 9/10 that affect wears off next season. These coaches are good at rallying players, but they are not the type of coach to install a system. Without a system, you need two amazing coordinators, and two amazing coordinators coming to work for a low-profile Head Coach probably isn’t happening. 

I'd have taken any bet for him to be better than McDaniels

Just now, Dbrog24 said:

I'd have taken any bet for him to be better than McDaniels

I agree with you. That said, just because McDaniels was the wrong hire (very, very wrong) doesn’t mean Bisaccia would have been the right one.

I wouldn’t mind if Pierce gets the gig as I feel like he’s earned a shot, but if the Harbaugh rumors amount to anything or if Tomlin becomes available and is willing to take it then I think those are tough opportunities to pass up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Exactly my thought and they should learn from past mistakes with hurricane McDaniels and not do that again lol

Incoming NFL News Thread: "Antonio Pierce relieved of duties, Las Vegas set to hire Brandon Staley as Head Coach"

Not retaining Bisaccia was the right move, hiring McDaniels was the wrong move. That shouldn't lead you to settle on a coach like Pierce because of what happened last time. Just get the right guy this time around. 

Pierce would not last 3 years. Pretty confident in that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It depends on who is truly available imo. If you can land Harbaugh (And almost better yet keep him away from the Chargers) you absolutely do so. He is a top tier coach imo. He would also build a pretty incredible coaching staff, which AP would have little ability to due so as he's so new to the NFL coaching circle.

He's done an admirable job and has turned the toxicity around from the JMD era. Lots of the players are having fun again and trying hard. However as others noted, he is so green as an NFL HC and limited in what he can offer long-term. The Oakland ties, the rah-rah vibes, hard nosed nature, etc is all fun and all, sure. But can he scheme at all? Can he build a capable staff? How about player evaluation come the off season? I fear Davis will get Rich B dejavu all over again and hire the fun interim coach this go because he realized he maybe should have done so last cycle.

All in all, absolutely interview him. He's done a very solid job all things considered. But do not pass up better coaches because he turned around an underperforming team while playing with house money.

No, AP is the right HC for you just like Harbaugh is the right HC for us 😅

14 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

It's easy for us to say this from our couches, but we really have no idea what Pierce brings to the coaching table from a schematic standpoint. Everyone thought Campbell was a meathead. Only the organization knows what Pierce is like with the players, on the practice field, game-planning etc. If they like him, there's no reason not to give him a shot.

I guess it is true some people thought it.  But Dan Campbell worked 5 years under Sean Payton and had a long tenure in Miami as a tight ends coach.  Pierce has been a coach in the NFL for only 2 years.  

I do agree, only the organization can really say how much Pierce brings to the table.  But it probably is a safe bet given his lack of experience that he's well behind most coaches when it comes to Xs and Os, at least in applying it as a coach in the NFL.  I could be wrong though.

The lack of experience alone would turn me off on hiring him as a HC, but I am rooting for him to get it 

Edited by iknowcool

42 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Low standards you have there… a paper bag would be better than McDaniels. 

Not my standards (hint: look at my avvy). Mine are to trade away all my teams picks for dudes that don't even get me to the playoffs...

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Not retaining Bisaccia was the right move, hiring McDaniels was the wrong move. That shouldn't lead you to settle on a coach like Pierce because of what happened last time. Just get the right guy this time around. 

Pierce would not last 3 years. Pretty confident in that. 

I don’t believe this. Bisaccia has been in the league for a long time and has tons of contacts and experience. He’s worked under some really good head coaches and I feel he would have made a good head coach for you guys.

I can’t believe Raider fans and how they poo poo on anyone that has had any success there. JDR and Bisaaccia are the only two coaches that have sniffed the playoffs for you guys in ages. McKenzie was a good GM that got hung out to dry for Gruden cronie Mike Mayock. 

Raiders need to hire a GM and then decide on a head coach that will benefit from that hire. Antonio Pierce absolutely should be considered a front runner for that job barring Harbaugh wanting the job. 

Belichick is interesting but I just don’t believe in him at his age anymore to be the guy that turns another franchise from down to contender. 

• Like 1