Off Season moves

OzPackfan

4 hours ago, squire12 said:

So pay it this year vs not at all.  Is a 9.5M check a good investment on a maybe 20% chance Bakhtiari plays 8+ games in 2024?

Paying it all this year severely limits what the Packers 2024 team could look like. Let's say we bump out 7m to 2025 and the Packers suddenly have 73m to play with instead of 80, is that a big deal?

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Arbitrary percentage, no way for us to know if it's a good investment or not. Only Dave and the team and the docs know.

Of course none of us know.  But that is the question though.  is paying out 9.5M on the hope that this last surgery nets more return that the previous 3 years.  

13 of 50 games over the last 3 years

1 of 3 seasons over 8 games.  

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Paying it all this year severely limits what the Packers 2024 team could look like. Let's say we bump out 7m to 2025 and the Packers suddenly have 73m to play with instead of 80, is that a big deal?

it is still $7M that GB does not have.

I am just not remotely confident that Bakhtiari knee is going to be good for the balance of the season to justify the cap cost most are proposing

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Of course none of us know.  But that is the question though.  is paying out 9.5M on the hope that this last surgery nets more return that the previous 3 years.  

13 of 50 games over the last 3 years

1 of 3 seasons over 8 games.  

That is the best, yes. 

And it's also why I don't think he's tradeable. If GB likes his medical, he's going to be penciled in as our starter. If GB isn't confident in the medical, no other team is going to be convinced enough KNOWING GB is not confident enough to keep him for themselves.

He'll be released or reworked IMO.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That is the best, yes. 

And it's also why I don't think he's tradeable. If GB likes his medical, he's going to be penciled in as our starter. If GB isn't confident in the medical, no other team is going to be convinced enough KNOWING GB is not confident enough to keep him for themselves.

He'll be released or reworked IMO.

yeah, I don't see a trade market for much beyond a later round conditional that is based on games/snaps played.  

8 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Then he won't be on the roster.

correct.   And GB is going to need to be  making a decision on the contract if they want to move money from it into future years in March, well before OTA, training camp and games when the successive build up of stress and force on the knee has shown to take its toll.   

I am not sure what exactly was done in this most recent surgery, but if it was a cartilage restoration procedure, those are not easy nor speedy recoveries

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

correct.   And GB is going to need to be  making a decision on the contract if they want to move money from it into future years in March, well before OTA, training camp and games when the successive build up of stress and force on the knee has shown to take its toll.   

I am not sure what exactly was done in this most recent surgery, but if it was a cartilage restoration procedure, those are not easy nor speedy recoveries

I understood it to be a pretty major surgery.  Just don't like his odds at his age and given the other knee surgeries he's had.  It seems like a bad gamble, but I think the Packers will let it play out a while and see where he's at.  If it doesn't respond well he will either hang it up or we'll cut bait.  Not sure what they'll do if his recovery is a rousing success.  Wait and see.  Not something we need to be concerned with yet. 

5 hours ago, pgwingman said:

So a total of $1.25 + $6/3 years = $3.25 in compensation this year with another $5+ $6 * 2/3years = $9 capped next year?

I can get on board with that. I honestly have no idea what his "fair value" is, but I kinda think that $12m number makes sense. But I'd guess GB is tired of moving out his cap hits into void years, especially with the knee. So I don't think the savings possibilities are more like $7-8m instead.

But here's the rub. I'm working on a mock draft post right now where I try to break down the cap situation, and I'm $31m over the cap before we extend Love. Even if Bakh takes a nice pay cut, we'll still need restructures and paycuts from every vet contract just to get to even. It just seems like a luxury when we've gotten by pretty well without him.

It would only be 9m in 2025 if he hits all the NLTBE bonuses.

We have 6m of cap space now and if we can save 16m from restructuring Bak and 10m from extending Clark that gets us to 32m

More money can be saved from simple restructures for Alexander and Jenkins

Love extension will only cost between 6-12m this year.

• Like 1