Wild Card GDT: Green Bay Packers @ Dallas Cowboys

MaddHatter

12 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

He as the head coach has a responsibility to see something isn't going to work. And make the call to the coordinator and tell him to change up the plan.

How do you know Jerry gave that authority to Mac? We are talking about Jerry World here. Jerry didn't let Wade call offensive plays.

21 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

He can’t? He has! 15 TDs, 5 TOs, 280ypg and 68% Comp is doing it in the playoffs

He lacks poise? GTFOH - he made some bad decisions after we got down big, including the pick-6, but for most of the game he was constantly going through his reads and finding the only guy he could fit the ball to while under constant pressure. He made some absolutely ridiculous throws into tight windows, and was giving his receivers opportunities to make plays.  

You knew that first INT was coming because our D melted to Love? That wasn’t a bad throw and it wasn’t a bad decision, but you knew the WR would play weak and the DB would fight through and that the ref would let them play? Hillarious…

Now if you say you knew the second was coming, I think the whole world did - that one was ugly

I knew it was turnover time. You know how?

Because a turnover would put Dak into panic mode. The opposing coaches knew it and coached up their guys to look for it, fight for it, he will choke! And he did! It's Romo all over again.

But look, this FO only has a spine when someone else in the organization gets credit for winning.  

So, as long as we continue to choke in the post season, you got nothing to worry about. The FO will simply do what they always do, hire a retread HC, stick with "their guys" and continue what is going on a 3 decade drought of no title appearances.

So, don't worry. We will continue to beat up on scrub teams and pad our QBs stats for all you fantasy nuts and be the laughing stock of the NFL in January.

I wouldn’t mind rolling with Lance. Just throw next year out and see if Lance can Jordan Love it. He needs a guy in there that can coach to his strengths though. I think they’ll run it back for one more year though and do little in FA. Just bring the same team back and get to 10-11 wins. Division is winnable next year as well. I mean, you can’t just throw out a year if there is no real coach or QB in place. They will probably not advance past rd 1-2, but that’s the gamble you take. If the road woes continue, you pretty much know what you have. 

Who is the D coordinator and who would coach Lance? If they don’t have answers for these, no reason not to run it back. If they do have an answer, roll with Lance and get some help for me in the draft. You can’t go into the season with Dak though if that’s the plan.

There are no wrong answers here. The division is so bad that unless the Eagles have a miraculous turnaround to spring board them tonight and beyond, they will have a playoff spot locked up next year barring injury. There is also a possibility the hand is forced and Dak has an injury and you are forced to go to Lance.

I slept on it for a night, but MM will lay out a plan to land Quinn’s replacement and they will run it back another year with Dak, unless they identify a guy for Lance to roll with. 

10 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

I wouldn’t mind rolling with Lance. Just throw next year out and see if Lance can Jordan Love it. He needs a guy in there that can coach to his strengths though. I think they’ll run it back for one more year though and do little in FA. Just bring the same team back and get to 10-11 wins. Division is winnable next year as well. I mean, you can’t just throw out a year if there is no real coach or QB in place. They will probably not advance past rd 1-2, but that’s the gamble you take. If the road woes continue, you pretty much know what you have. 

Who is the D coordinator and who would coach Lance? If they don’t have answers for these, no reason not to run it back. If they do have an answer, roll with Lance and get some help for me in the draft. You can’t go into the season with Dak though if that’s the plan.

There are no wrong answers here. The division is so bad that unless the Eagles have a miraculous turnaround to spring board them tonight and beyond, they will have a playoff spot locked up next year barring injury. There is also a possibility the hand is forced and Dak has an injury and you are forced to go to Lance.

I slept on it for a night, but MM will lay out a plan to land Quinn’s replacement and they will run it back another year with Dak, unless they identify a guy for Lance to roll with. 

What a sad commentary, but you are probably right.

If you want the perspective of an outsider, I think it is nuts that you guys have fans calling for Prescott to be traded. I know yesterday had to be frustrating but you've won 12 games 3 years in a row and your QB was probably top 5 in MVP voting for the regular season. Even if you change nothing this offseason you're probably guaranteed 10 wins with a playoff game and a puncher's chance of getting to the SB next year. 

If you guys were to dump Prescott or hit the reset on more positions on the roster you risk setting the team way back. Trey Lance? Why do you have fans calling for this guy to do anything? The guy basically played against high schoolers in college, was way overdrafted and has shown absolutely nothing in the NFL (oh and he's injury prone). You're going to dump Prescott for that guy? Or take a QB in this draft class? That is like 50% chance of an outright bust or worse. 

You guys lost yesterday because GB had wide open WRs catching bombs 50 yards down the field. GB receivers were literally walking into the endzone because no one was 20 yards around them. If you gave Dak 2-3 free 50 yard TD bombs yesterday he would have looked amazing too. Your defense is probably not nearly as good as the regular season or media portray it. 

IMO the best way to improve your roster is to run back the offense pretty much as is and spend significant resources in the offseason on defense. Probably move on from Quinn. If you want to move on from McCarthy too fine, but idk if that is as needed as much as a new perspective at DC. Then spend your first and second round picks on someone for the secondary and probably a linebacker, and hope you get some offseason growth from Mazi Smith. You'll get Diggs back next year too. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

If you want the perspective of an outsider, I think it is nuts that you guys have fans calling for Prescott to be traded. I know yesterday had to be frustrating but you've won 12 games 3 years in a row and your QB was probably top 5 in MVP voting for the regular season. Even if you change nothing this offseason you're probably guaranteed 10 wins with a playoff game and a puncher's chance of getting to the SB next year. 

If you guys were to dump Prescott or hit the reset on more positions on the roster you risk setting the team way back. Trey Lance? Why do you have fans calling for this guy to do anything? The guy basically played against high schoolers in college, was way overdrafted and has shown absolutely nothing in the NFL (oh and he's injury prone). You're going to dump Prescott for that guy? Or take a QB in this draft class? That is like 50% chance of an outright bust or worse. 

You guys lost yesterday because GB had wide open WRs catching bombs 50 yards down the field. GB receivers were literally walking into the endzone because no one was 20 yards around them. If you gave Dak 2-3 free 50 yard TD bombs yesterday he would have looked amazing too. Your defense is probably not nearly as good as the regular season or media portray it. 

IMO the best way to improve your roster is to run back the offense pretty much as is and spend significant resources in the offseason on defense. Probably move on from Quinn. If you want to move on from McCarthy too fine, but idk if that is as needed as much as a new perspective at DC. Then spend your first and second round picks on someone for the secondary and probably a linebacker, and hope you get some offseason growth from Mazi Smith. You'll get Diggs back next year too. 

Agreed 100%

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

My only thing is if you are ready to run back the offensive staff why would you not run back Quinn as well? Remember what the Dallas D looked like before Quinn got there and how he turned that unit around? It's not like statistically the D was bad this year and both the offense and defense completely collapsed yesterday.

But ya the Cowboys aren't moving on from Dak. Who knows if he ever wins the big game, but he clearly is at level where you have to keep him and see where it takes you. The grass isn't always greener.

4 hours ago, TVScout said:

How do you know Jerry gave that authority to Mac? We are talking about Jerry World here. Jerry didn't let Wade call offensive plays.

So you think Jerry makes coaching decisions as well? Unlikely that he is approving or greenlighting game plans and play sheets. If you mean that DQ would.be operating autonomously with no oversight at all, I don't think there has ever been a coordinator who does so. Typically the head coach is the manager, the head honcho, overseeing what the coordinators do, who in turn oversee what the position coaches do. 

Also, why would Wade call the offense? His background is in defense. He shouldn't be calling an offense. But overseeing his coordinators and approving their gameplan for the coming game is Monday afternoon stuff in terms of preparation for the week. Just because a HC doesn't call that side of the ball doesn't mean they don't have to greenlight a gameplan or call sheet. It's their team, they are held accountable for failures by the front office. So in turn, they need to hold their coordinators accountable to protect themself and their team.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

4 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Dont think anyone is “defending Dak” for the game last night.  He wasn’t good, that is clear. He also wasn’t good vs. Buffalo and Arizona.  But he was GREAT most of the season and for most of his career, so you don’t throw away a QB of his caliber because of one bad game. 

4 hours ago, MaddHatter said:

Dont think anyone is “defending Dak” for the game last night.  He wasn’t good, that is clear. He also wasn’t good vs. Buffalo and Arizona.  But he was GREAT most of the season and for most of his career, so you don’t throw away a QB of his caliber because of one bad game. 

Great is a stretch for his career. He has been good not great. Dak had his best season of his career that is true. Probably second in the mvp race but so was Romo once. Dak for me whatever the reason gets off to real slow starts in  most playoff games that to me says the pressure might be getting to him. 

3 hours ago, Northland said:

The Packers have as many playoff wins at AT&T Stadium as the Cowboys do.  It's just a sad, sorry state of affairs no matter how you slice it.

The Jets have more playoff wins than the Cowboys have in the last 25 years. Let that sink in for a second. I thought this team had a chance to at least get to the nfc championship game but no I didn’t think they would  beat San Francisco. Boy was I wrong I should have known better. A team as poorly coached and undisciplined as the Cowboys are don’t go far in the playoffs. I should have known better.

Edited by cromagnum